09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Manny and Sinbad

Thank you both for the inputs.Also based on Ell.Bee's successful landing and others experience at Calgary Airport will procced with bank statements .

:) Also nice tip on not mentioning the AVR part..will skip it.

Lights

Manny said:
Hey, please see my notes:
1. Either that or a print out of your full bank statement/s (I took 3 months')
2. Yes, pls refer to CIC web page for the list of amounts by family size. ensure your balances in total comes to that.
3. No need to carry any cash except for your immediate need. Bank statements is enough. Inform them you'll move these funds to Canada bank.
4. Why would you want to mention that you will return on AVR to US? Skip it.

If you don't have the required funds mentioned in CIC web page, you should be worried about your financial status and start saving! That is the minimum level of liquidity expected to maintain your family for a short period of time if you don't have pay check.

toledoresident

Star Member
Jul 31, 2008
How long I need to stay in CANADA after landing. Will I get permemnent recidensy immediately after arrival or I need to wait for couple of months?

justinline

May 19, 2009
Landed last Wednesday in Toronto Airport, used AVR to return back. Canadian immigration experience was pleasant. Using the AVR process on Thursday wasn't pleasant at all. So as word of caution people seeking AVR. Please be cautious.....carry all the documents.
If possible take an appointment in case you need to do H1b stamping.

Problem with AVR is every Custom and Border patrol officer has his own interpretation of AVR......its too dicey. I would not use that route again at least by air. I have heard better reviews of using AVR through road.

Justin

cooldeepforyou

Star Member
Feb 25, 2009
Hi Justline,
How will you manage the PR card to receive in person?
I just cancled my flights to calgary...because if i have to receive PR cards personaly..then how will i enter again in Canada without them.

Also you landed throught toronto, i assume your are AINP too, so did not they questioned about this.

Thanks

justinline said:
Landed last Wednesday in Toronto Airport, used AVR to return back. Canadian immigration experience was pleasant. Using the AVR process on Thursday wasn't pleasant at all. So as word of caution people seeking AVR. Please be cautious.....carry all the documents.
If possible take an appointment in case you need to do H1b stamping.

Problem with AVR is every Custom and Border patrol officer has his own interpretation of AVR......its too dicey. I would not use that route again at least by air. I have heard better reviews of using AVR through road.

Justin

justinline

May 19, 2009
Cooldeepforyou,

This is a recent trend I am reading about....where immigration officer refuses to issue PR card unless immigrant moves permanently to Canada.

The immigration officer I dealt with....only seemed mildly curious.

Why did Alberta nominate you?
O really Alberta, has this program for H1b visa holders?

He didn't seem to have issue with...me landing at Toronto. But I did mention my final destination is Calgary. Then he asked for address to mail the card. I said, I still do not have that.....no problem just send it by fax...handing over the fax form. Then explaining rules for maintaining the PR status.....welcome to Canada.

justinline

May 19, 2009
You will need travel document...if you are travelling without PR card....by air. Other forums indicate COPR is good for road entry to Canada.....But I see clearly see written on COPR, NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL

cooldeepforyou

Star Member
Feb 25, 2009
Thanks Justinline.. yes i read this on forum....but thanks for info..
also thanks for letting us know that on COPR its writted that not valid for travel..

thanks

justinline said:
You will need travel document...if you are travelling without PR card....by air. Other forums indicate COPR is good for road entry to Canada.....But I see clearly see written on COPR, NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL

lettuce_tomatoes

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lights, appreciate you doing the home work so well. Thanks for sharing the USCIS links as well. Seems like it almost impossible to retain the PRs of both the countries.

1. did the cic send your passport back with the visa stamp yet?
2. When are you planning to land?
3. Planning to land in AB or elsewhere?

Its been a week now since i sent my PP to Buffalo. Going by the current trend, it may take 3 more weeks for us to get back our visa stamped passports back from Buffalo.

Ismail
lightsinthemist said:
Lettuce Bro

Here is the source of that info.USCIS Memo and also in general the US CBF and Canadian border force regularly quiz people on these matters if they are holding both. Technically this will kick into place only after both gc's are in hand.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=3f443a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

1.If we dont stay in Canada for the 3 years we will anyhow lose the canadian PR.
1.We cannot stay more than 6 months outside the US after receiving the US GC.-Anything more than 6 months requires an re entry permit and those are not being granted easily.

So pretty much due to the exclusive nature of both the rules people give up one of them.Either Border force can refuse entrance to either country if they find you are not satisfying the residence requirement and will assume to have abandoned the gc in that country.

Even if one decides to commute daily from Montana to Alberta, or Ny to Toronto...still primary residence questions will come up.

The border patrol holds the power to intrepret this rule. I know some people do the six months in NY,six months in Toronto thingy...but they are clamping down hard nowadays.

Regards
Lights

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Joseph

I am planning to land in late june or early july.

josephdadreamer said:
Lights,

When are you planning to land?

-jo
Lettuce bro

It is a juggle to retain both cards .

1.I was just about to put a post.I got my passports back today with the visa stamped till Sep 2011 which was the date of my medicals.
2.Planning to land by late june or early july.
3.Planning to land in AB. Need to request any known person for mailing address .If I dont get anybody will take the option of completing the landing and faxing it later.I can use travel document for returning to canada by air .

Also slightly worried looking at two experiences of people flying back from Calgary airport ( albertaorbust and justinline) of bad AVR experiences. People by road seem to have an much better experience and also people flying from Toronto seem to have better experience because the officers seem to be better informed.The US immigration officers in Calgary international do not seem to know the rule properly or intrepet it different ways.

Let us see how it goes.

lettuce_tomatoes said:
Lights, appreciate you doing the home work so well. Thanks for sharing the USCIS links as well. Seems like it almost impossible to retain the PRs of both the countries.

1. did the cic send your passport back with the visa stamp yet?
2. When are you planning to land?
3. Planning to land in AB or elsewhere?

Its been a week now since i sent my PP to Buffalo. Going by the current trend, it may take 3 more weeks for us to get back our visa stamped passports back from Buffalo.

Ismail

lettuce_tomatoes

Star Member
Jun 23, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lights my man. Congratulations for getting the passports back. It took them exactly 15 business days to return you the passports (15 bizness days).

We wish you a pleasant landing experience and a smooth entry back into US through the AVR route.

Yes, from the previous posts it appears that landing in AB is a safe options but returning from Toronto airport (Pearson) or by road is safer for the folks intending to use the AVR.

I have not yet planned the landing part yet as im still waiting for CIC to return my passport, i will perhaps do it sometime in July. Round trip air fare for 2 adults and a 2.5 years old is turning out to around $2500 from Atlanta

Lettuce

lightsinthemist said:
Joseph

I am planning to land in late june or early july.

Lettuce bro

It is a juggle to retain both cards .

1.I was just about to put a post.I got my passports back today with the visa stamped till Sep 2011 which was the date of my medicals.
2.Planning to land by late june or early july.
3.Planning to land in AB. Need to request any known person for mailing address .If I dont get anybody will take the option of completing the landing and faxing it later.I can use travel document for returning to canada by air .

Also slightly worried looking at two experiences of people flying back from Calgary airport ( albertaorbust and justinline) of bad AVR experiences. People by road seem to have an much better experience and also people flying from Toronto seem to have better experience because the officers seem to be better informed.The US immigration officers in Calgary international do not seem to know the rule properly or intrepet it different ways.

Let us see how it goes.

enna

Feb 14, 2011
Good morning lettuce_tomatoes,

hi i'm enna...can i asked you a question? when do you think i will received my passport from Detroit, they received it last April 29 and i enclosed a prepaid express mail?

thanks

lettuce_tomatoes said:
Joe,

Please keep us posted on your PPR status. Did you send any case specific inquiry to the CIC?

Lettuce

rajeshindy

Apr 16, 2009
Hi lightsinthemist

When did you recieve your Passports back from the buffalo office ? How many days did it take to get your passports back ?

thanks

bibo

Jan 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2009
Doc's Request.
25-11-2009
Nomination.....
30-11-2009
AOR Received.
17-07-2010
Med's Request
17-07-2010
Med's Done....
27-07-2010
Passport Req..
24-03-2011
what happens in case you don't land by the date specified on your visa?
do you loose it forever?