+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ONLY - Who submitted CIC-AINP(SRS-U.S. Visa Holder Category) application

enna

Feb 14, 2011
Hi lightsinthemist,
Thank you very much. I think I prefer not to surrender my I-94 especially I’m using AVR. My next question is that in case we need to go back to Canada to get our PR card, is it by land only that we can travel going back in Canada while we are here in USA?

lightsinthemist said:
Sinbad

Many thanks for adding some crucial information.Maybe the rules are getting updated and the officers at the landing are giving the standard reply whereas at the SIN cards as you mentioned they might be asking us to pick it up at whatever location specified by the mail we receive at the address specified.

Surprised

We will definetly hear from other users like Sinbad who can provide us an update of what is happening with the card situation. For now if one has to travel back to Canada without PR cards in hand ...I guess going by car is the only option with COPR documents.Also one user posted his experience of also obtaining alternate travel visa or documents at the nearest canadian consulate and using it for air travel.

If somebody is out of Usa right now and has to travel without PR cards in hand...I guess the travel documents obtained at local canadian consulate in whichever home country can be used for entering Canada along with COPR.

Enna

Coming to your question . You can definetly say you dont have it ...keep it out sight or simply produce an printed copy of the AVR memo detailing that the traveller need not submit it.

Anwyaz even if you surrender it like Sinbad said and Albertaorbust experienced himself ...they will issue an new I-94 but this might involve some hassle . And also Sinbad answered the other question about frequent trips being marked with an multiple entry in the I-94.

Surprised

Star Member
Aug 1, 2009
lightsinthemist said:
Sinbad

Many thanks for adding some crucial information.Maybe the rules are getting updated and the officers at the landing are giving the standard reply whereas at the SIN cards as you mentioned they might be asking us to pick it up at whatever location specified by the mail we receive at the address specified.

Surprised

We will definetly hear from other users like Sinbad who can provide us an update of what is happening with the card situation. For now if one has to travel back to Canada without PR cards in hand ...I guess going by car is the only option with COPR documents.Also one user posted his experience of also obtaining alternate travel visa or documents at the nearest canadian consulate and using it for air travel.

If somebody is out of Usa right now and has to travel without PR cards in hand...I guess the travel documents obtained at local canadian consulate in whichever home country can be used for entering Canada along with COPR.

Enna

Coming to your question . You can definetly say you dont have it ...keep it out sight or simply produce an printed copy of the AVR memo detailing that the traveller need not submit it.

Anwyaz even if you surrender it like Sinbad said and Albertaorbust experienced himself ...they will issue an new I-94 but this might involve some hassle . And also Sinbad answered the other question about frequent trips being marked with an multiple entry in the I-94.
Thanks lights, Sinbad for the headsup. Keeping fingers crossed!!

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
Enna

That is correct .By road you will not need the travel document and just COPR will be sufficient . If it is really urgent for you to travel by air the second time you will have to contact the Canadian consulate in LA and obtain what is called an travel document.Technically it should not be used by people with valid PR cards but have seen posts of people who have obtained the same.

You can do it with this document and COPR both

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

enna said:
Hi lightsinthemist,
Thank you very much. I think I prefer not to surrender my I-94 especially I'm using AVR. My next question is that in case we need to go back to Canada to get our PR card, is it by land only that we can travel going back in Canada while we are here in USA?

lightsinthemist

Star Member
Feb 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-15-2009
Doc's Request.
11-28-2009
Nomination.....
12-07-2009 CIC app 05-15-2010
AOR Received.
08-23-2010
Med's Request
08-23-2010
Med's Done....
09-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-19-2011
VISA ISSUED...
05-16-2011
I just looked at the Travel document guide and there is no problem when an COPR holder applies for it.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5529E.PDF

Page 3 Overview clearly states.

Note to holders of a:
• Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
• Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292)
• Returning Resident Permit
These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a permanent resident card or a travel
document to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.

Since one will have only COPR while travelling for the second time one can use the Travel document along with COPR to travel and one is also eligible to apply for the same.

Please google the forum and you will get posts of people who have travelled back using the same.

So anybody worried about going back the second time without PR cards and by air can follow this.

Regards
Lights

albertaorbust

Feb 8, 2009
Basically it all depends on who your immigration officer is or if he/she is in bad mood. The US IO I encountered did not know the rules of AVR. Somebody else might get lucky. When we landed the Canadian IO told us that we will get our cards in the mail. No body told us that we have to pick it up anywhere. Also today my family had the experience of dealing with Canadian health care system. Unfortunately it sucks.

ag_tou

Star Member
Jun 3, 2009
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2009
Doc's Request.
20-02-2010 (AINP Doc Request)
Nomination.....
08-05-2010
AOR Received.
9 Dec 2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Never Transferred
Med's Request
9 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
Sometime in the last week of December
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
April 2011 - Last week
LANDED..........
6th May 2011
If someone is like...having 9XX-XXX-XXX SIN number as a Work Permit holder and then change the SIN to 6XX-XXX-XXX after getting the Permanent Residency, please update Equifax and TransUnion to carry forward your Credit history from number 9 to 6

Details to update your credit profile are given at the following links:

https://www.creditprofile.transunion.ca/help/privacy/privacy.jsp

http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/consumer_information_centre/docs/update_form_e.pdf

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
philly said:
Hi Alberta Governor,

I Completed my landing formalities on Feb 9th. I came back to USA. Due poor photo quality i did not
received my PR Card. However I am moving back to Calgary permanently By driving my own car. I read online forums i can use my COPR document to enter into Canada. I could not find any official link in CIC website.

In case Some times at the border immigration officer not aware of all these process, i want carry some printed documents from CIC.

Please let me know if you know any.

Thanks in advance.
Philly

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf

AlbertaGovernor

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ag_tou said:
If someone is like...having 9XX-XXX-XXX SIN number as a Work Permit holder and then change the SIN to 6XX-XXX-XXX after getting the Permanent Residency, please update Equifax and TransUnion to carry forward your Credit history from number 9 to 6

Details to update your credit profile are given at the following links:

https://www.creditprofile.transunion.ca/help/privacy/privacy.jsp

http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/consumer_information_centre/docs/update_form_e.pdf
This is good information ag_tou. You need to include this in one of the sticky threads in FAQ or post landing.......

Qureshi

Star Member
Nov 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-05-2010
Nomination.....
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
Feb 02, 2011
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Done....
Feb 15, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 4th , 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 10th, 2011
LANDED..........
Sep 20th 2011
Please advice accordingly,

My current H1B will wxpire on 17 Sep, 2011. and I-94 displays the same dates.
My H1B ext is also approved.

I am New York based I want to complete landing formalities before my current visa expires.

Having said that I have Approved H1B extension and still current visa is valid upto Sep so

Can I complete landing formalities and come back on the current visa before expiration date?
Is there any rule as H1B Ext is approved so I have to get it stamped before reentering.

Please answer.

Qureshi

Star Member
Nov 24, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-05-2010
Nomination.....
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
Feb 02, 2011
File Transfer...
NO
Med's Done....
Feb 15, 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 4th , 2011
VISA ISSUED...
May 10th, 2011
LANDED..........
Sep 20th 2011
Ok I been to Bufalo Tuesday Morning by 7:30am and was all set with Visa stamped by
8:45 am.

The whole process was very simple and straight forward.
All you need to carry is

Copy of the received email for PPR.
Two photographs and wite the date of photo taken by hand.
RPRF if not paid before.
valid Passports.

Open for any questions or querries.

Thanks,

Avalap

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
Hi Ag_tou,

Thank you for sharing your experience in detail.
Good Luck with your endeavors ahead...

Have a great time ahead!!!!

ag_tou said:
Hi All,

I did the landing formailities on May 6th, 2011...... we drove to CARWAY border (~ 3 hrs drive). It is between Cardston, Alberta and Peigan, Montana.

What a sunny day.....we had an excellent drive from Calgary to CARWAY reaching there around 2 pm. As guided by the Canadian Border Agency officer, We crossed the border, reached the US Visa Officer Window and informed him that I came to do the landing formailities from Calgary and need a document (basically kind of rejection document from US side...showing that I crossed the border theoretically and the US visa officer rejected me entering into US, as I already informed him about the LANDING formaility as an Immigrant).

With that we came back to Canada Border Agency office and told the VO that we crossed the border and are back for the further formailities. He gave a yellow chit and asked to park in no. 3 parking, specifically meant for residents and then go upstairs for further work. The VO upstairs helped us in other proceedings and also with the PR Card application. He informed that we will get out PR cards in around 7-8 weeks (30 business days) at our Calgary address.

We decided to do the STATUS CHANGE also on the same day. For the same, we decided to stop by at Lethbridge and get the SIN number changed from Number 9XX-XXX-XXX (Work Permit) to 6XX-XXX-XXX (Permanent Residents). But bad luck, the Service Canada office was closed by the time we reached there....they close by 4 pm and were just late by 10-15 minutes.
Anyways, we got the STATUS CHANGE yesterday and got our new SIN number....will be updating the Bank and other credit rating agencies soon.

Finally we are Permanent Residents of Canada.......Thank you very much to all of you. This forum rocks......so helpful to each other........my salute to all of you....feel free to drop me a message if I can be of any further help.... I might not be visiting the forum that frequently anymore. But if you drop me a message, I will surely see it and reply back. Good Luck everyone.

philly

Jun 7, 2010
Philadelphia
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-3-2009
Doc's Request.
01-11-2009
Nomination.....
24-11-2009
AOR Received.
01-07-2010
File Transfer...
26-10-2010
Med's Request
July-7-2010
Med's Done....
15-7-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Dec 22 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 21 2011
LANDED..........
?
Thanks very much.

AlbertaGovernor said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/pr-card/pr-card-faq12.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf27-eng.pdf

Avalap

Star Member
Jul 2, 2010
Hello Qureshi,

Since you have a valid visa till Sep 2011, you are absolutely good to visit Canada and come back to US using your current visa. It is not neccessary to get another visa stamping on your new H1B extension.

If you are visiting Canada after Sept 2011, you can still come back to US without any hassles by using your H1B extension document (I-797) and expired visa (I.e - using AVR).

Good Luck with your landing and ensure that you don't surrender your I-94 CARD while going to Canada. You can use the same I-94 card to return to US.

Hope this helps

Qureshi said:
Please advice accordingly,

My current H1B will wxpire on 17 Sep, 2011. and I-94 displays the same dates.
My H1B ext is also approved.

I am New York based I want to complete landing formalities before my current visa expires.

Having said that I have Approved H1B extension and still current visa is valid upto Sep so

Can I complete landing formalities and come back on the current visa before expiration date?
Is there any rule as H1B Ext is approved so I have to get it stamped before reentering.

Please answer.

Jacaranda

Mar 9, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi albertaorbust

please elaborate on the lousy canadian health care experience. i am interested to know as I have had really bad experience in the US....

albertaorbust said:
Basically it all depends on who your immigration officer is or if he/she is in bad mood. The US IO I encountered did not know the rules of AVR. Somebody else might get lucky. When we landed the Canadian IO told us that we will get our cards in the mail. No body told us that we have to pick it up anywhere. Also today my family had the experience of dealing with Canadian health care system. Unfortunately it sucks.

King80

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2009
Doc's Request.
Nov 2009
Nomination.....
Dec 2009
AOR Received.
20/07/2010
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NY Jan 05, 2011
Med's Request
20/07/2010
Med's Done....
12/08/2010 (reached Ottawa Sep 8th ,2010)
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
March 07 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 11 2011
LANDED..........
waiting
Sinbad said:
When I landed, the officer at Coutts told me , I will get PR cards in mail. But when I applied for SIN, the officer told me that I will have to pick it PR cards up.
If you are traveling in July, I will let you know, whether it came in mail or we had to pick it up.
Anyway, you can reenter Canada by Land with your COPR.
Hi Sinbad,

I will be landing via Coutts May end. I have a question regarding importing my Car.I know that we have to submitt Docs(Title,Bill Of SAles) to US Customs 72 hours before. But when I cross the border i just have to ask them some kind of approval for my car , right at the border or i have to visit US Customs at some other address.

Please let me know if have any information. thanks for your help