+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online TRV application from USA taking way too long

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Same here!
What does his status say? Have you tried contacting IRCC?
Status is just the same old 'processing your background check''reviewing your eligibility' blah blah.
Tried using the web form twice. One received a response like 'working on it. just hang on.', the other one is lost in the sea.........
Hope IRCC hasn't forgotten about us.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Status is just the same old 'processing your background check''reviewing your eligibility' blah blah.
Tried using the web form twice. One received a response like 'working on it. just hang on.', the other one is lost in the sea.........
Hope IRCC hasn't forgotten about us.
Background checks can take any length of time. It's pointless to send any web form until the checks are completed

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Congratulations. at least your application is moving forward. My husband applied for online trv from the US. It's been more than 9 weeks now. We started to think his application may have disappeared from IRCC's system (not the mycic portal one).
Not sure what the congratulations are for. Almost 10 weeks here and nothing. I do not think a BIL is any progress really. In fact, all along it jsut says "we do not need your fingerprints".

Contacting them is useless they just keep replying 3-4 weeks later with the same stupid: "it'll be outside the posted times" - which is, so why bother post times at all?

There's nothing at all in my case to require this delay. Unless the FBI is taking forever to respond. THough I have a clean record so there's nothing to report.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I have a weird situation now. The main goal of for me to visit was to help my wife move with me to the US. Because IRCC is taking forever, her family graciously helped her move instead.

The purpose of the visa now changed and it's to be able to visit my in-laws with my wife in Thanksgiving and Christmas. The invitation letter I initially uploaded was done by my wife, who is now not living in Canada but with me in the US. I sent them a quick e-mail/web form with this update, but now I wonder if they'll reject.

It's important to me to keep my record clean. Any ideas? How to handle changes in circumstances when they take so long? (2.5 months and counting)

Last edited:

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I have a weird situation now. The main goal of for me to visit was to help my wife move with me to the US. Because IRCC is taking forever, her family graciously helped her move instead.

The purpose of the visa now changed and it's to be able to visit my in-laws with my wife in Thanksgiving and Christmas. The invitation letter I initially uploaded was done by my wife, who is now not living in Canada but with me in the US. I sent them a quick e-mail/web form with this update, but now I wonder if they'll reject.

It's important to me to keep my record clean. Any ideas? How to handle changes in circumstances when they take so long? (2.5 months and counting)
I'm wondering the same thing. As the purpose of my husband's visa was to help me settle down during my first week in Canada, now it's been weeks since I landed.
Anybody else please chime in if we should send in a new one letter or other take other actions.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Not sure what the congratulations are for. Almost 10 weeks here and nothing. I do not think a BIL is any progress really. In fact, all along it jsut says "we do not need your fingerprints".

Contacting them is useless they just keep replying 3-4 weeks later with the same stupid: "it'll be outside the posted times" - which is, so why bother post times at all?

There's nothing at all in my case to require this delay. Unless the FBI is taking forever to respond. THough I have a clean record so there's nothing to report.
Oh well I thought BIL is a indication that they started to process your application somehow.
The funny part is my husband just went through ircc's background check as a non-accompanying spouse of me, like a few months back. Can't believe ircc needs to vet him again.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I'm actually starting to believe they somehow lost the whole fingerprint database or something. They already have my fingerprints from < 10 years ago but asked for them again nevertheless.

Anyway, hoping for feedback about how to avoid rejection due to the purpose of travel changing thanks to endless "processing"

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I got the letter requesting the passport. Hopefully means we're about to be done with this ordeal. Which office is best to send the passport to for fastest processing? (IRCC ususally took their sweet time stamping so given current delays, I'm terrified those idiots will keep it for a month).

Options are:

1- Ottawa
2- NYC
3- LA (These were so irresponsive and I never got someone there on the phone, so I doubt they'd be the best options)

Any ideas?

Reactions: summerxx

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got the letter requesting the passport. Hopefully means we're about to be done with this ordeal. Which office is best to send the passport to for fastest processing? (IRCC ususally took their sweet time stamping so given current delays, I'm terrified those idiots will keep it for a month).

Options are:

1- Ottawa
2- NYC
3- LA (These were so irresponsive and I never got someone there on the phone, so I doubt they'd be the best options)

Any ideas?
Congrats!

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016

Options are:

1- Ottawa
2- NYC

Any ideas?
Congratulations!
May I ask what is your application submission date, if possible?

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Actually, I take it back. their system is so inconsistent. Final decision says approved, I missed it as the first line still says we are reviewing, and the letter said they'll still make the decision.

Thanks, SummerX :)

That's going to be 3 months though by the time mailing is done. Someone must seriously pay for this unacceptable delay. Posted time was 11 days, those morons.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Actually, I take it back. their system is so inconsistent. Final decision says approved, I missed it as the first line still says we are reviewing, and the letter said they'll still make the decision.

Thanks, SummerX :)

That's going to be 3 months though by the time mailing is done. Someone must seriously pay for this unacceptable delay. Posted time was 11 days, those morons.
Ottawa may be fastest and not as complicated as NY/LA if you could get a prepaid courier envelope to ship back to you.

I don’t think IRCC is to blame but those third parties you suggested.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Ottawa may be fastest and not as complicated as NY/LA if you could get a prepaid courier envelope to ship back to you.

I don’t think IRCC is to blame but those third parties you suggested.
Yeah, after reading their weird instructions, I do not understand why anyone would send to the VAC. There's an uncontrolled element of mailing there (and I'm sure they'll choose the slowest, most unreliable option just to increase delays, probably with a tip to the mailman to dump it in the river - are they scored on how to delay applications the most?).

At least with Ottawa I control the mailing aspect and use the fastest option and with close tracking. Also in the past they usually didn't keep it for far too long (though not sure if this helps anymore....before visas used to take 10 days and here I am, about to hit 3 months...)

The blame for delay is mostly on IRCC in the first place because this particular application should have been a direct slam dunk. They wasted a lot of their time & resources & most importantly mine, completely unnecessarily, both on security or overstaying grounds. I would share details if I weren't worried about anonymity.

For comparison: US visas are awesome. You get the decision ON THE SPOT in the interview, they grant years and years, and they keep the passport and mail it in THREE DAYS!! They also don't ask you to spend hours filling in your parents info again and again, etc, or travel history for the freaking past 10 years. (And of course on IRCC's end there's an employee typing all that crap in, taking ages).

Reactions: Justin2

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
So, as I'm preparing to send it to Ottawa, I found their instructions here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html

However, the label has a shipping date. How am I supposed to know the date? For example say I send on Monday, expected to reach them on Wednesday. What is the shipment date to choose for the return label? They obviously don't stamp in just 2 days but have to make it an excruciating wait..

If I pick a shipment date and they take forever, will the FedEx label be still usable?

What they say is not very useful either:
"" Select “SHIP DATE”: If not today or tomorrow (further in the future) ""

@bellaluna @Bryanna , Thanks for your help in advance :)

Last edited: