+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online TRV application from USA taking way too long

floundering

Aug 6, 2018
I've also found that the processing times for TRV applications listed on the IRCC website are quite inaccurate. I submitted my application online on June 20 from the US when the processing time was 14 days (now it is 11 days), but it took 35 days from the date of submission for me to get a passport request. I submitted a case-specific enquiry only to find that my application was being processed by CPC-Ottawa, which takes longer than the visa offices in the US due to a higher volume of inland applications. I even attempted to withdraw the application because I had to travel and did not want to get a passport request and be unable to submit the passport, but once the request letter came I submitted my passport to the NY VAC and got it back in 7 working days. I routinely apply for visas and completely agree that the Canada TRV process is ridiculously arduous compared to the US and UK applications. The least the IRCC can do is provide more accurate processing times so that people can have a better sense of what they're in for. Here's my application timeline in case it is of any help:

June 20: Application Submitted Online (AOR received same day)
June 20: Background Check Started
July 3: Eligibility Review Started
July 10: Biometrics Request
July 12: Biometrics Completed
July 24: Original Passport Request

Last edited:

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've also found that the processing times for TRV applications listed on the IRCC website are quite inaccurate. I submitted my application online on June 20 from the US when the processing time was 14 days (now it is 11 days), but it took 35 days from the date of submission for me to get a passport request. I submitted a case-specific enquiry only to find that my application was being processed by CPC-Ottawa, which takes longer than the visa offices in the US due to a higher volume of inland applications. I even attempted to withdraw the application because I had to travel and did not want to get a passport request and be unable to submit the passport, but once the request letter came I submitted my passport to the NY VAC and got it back in 7 working days. I routinely apply for visas and completely agree that the Canada TRV process is ridiculously arduous compared to the US and UK applications. The least the IRCC can do is provide more accurate processing times so that people can have a better sense of what they're in for. Here's my application timeline in case it is of any help:

July 24: Original Passport Request[/QUOTE

Can you please explain how did you submit a case-specific enquiry?
My spouse is still waiting for a reply.
It's way past processing time listed on the website
This is not the first time he submits an application for Canada, visited Canada many times for short visits. Lives in the US. Traveled to many Euopean countries.
Actually, last time he applied for a visa from the US, it was stamped by CPC-Ottawa but it didn't take that long to get request to submit his passport.
Thank you for posting your application timeline. I guess not everyone living in the US gets approval after few days.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015

July 24: Original Passport Request
Thanks for sharing the timeline and congrats (for the fact that they didn't ruin your travel plans).

I'm still in the same state: background check. Just like Bonitaellada's husband, living in the US, been in and to Canada countless times, been to Europe, etc but they just really love making things hard. I planned things around it, however, so now I only need it for later travel...the only one now being really harmed about it is a Canadian citizen...the irony!

Case specific enquiry here, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp?_ga=2.193318125.1508875863.1533581067-948194249.1514397476

But it'll take weeks (if at all) for them to reply. I sent them a few angry messages, they replied to the first one saying "oops, sry background check will take too long so it's outside our posted timeframes now"...to which I'm like "...yea?" Someone took the time to type this and waste their and my time for this useless piece of info.

I used it later to update some important changes about my life (they just took so long that I'm having life changing events hehe).

I didn't bother sending an updated IMM or whatever forms, however, as that takes forever to fill out (and I assume someone has to read it on the other end). At the very least, I'll make them work for it. Not my fault they take so long that life changes dramatically. I'm hoping they'll be smart enough to just close the case since the fee is the same and any extra redundant processing is just a burden on their own taxpayers.

Reactions: floundering

floundering

Aug 6, 2018
Can you please explain how did you submit a case-specific enquiry?
I used the IRCC web form and also sent an enquiry to the New York visa office at NewYork-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca. I did not receive a response via the web form, but the New York office forwarded my email to an IRCC TR enquiries address (IRCC.TREnquiries-RenseignementRT.IRCC@cic.gc.ca), and CPC-Ottawa eventually responded.

This is not the first time he submits an application for Canada, visited Canada many times for short visits. Lives in the US. Traveled to many Euopean countries.
I think sometimes applications just get stuck in the processing loop (background checks, eligibility reviews etc.) and the IRCC just don't bother to have a transparent process whereby you can know precisely why it is taking longer than usual. All I can say is that my passport request came in just when I was attempting to withdraw the application (I even sent a withdrawal request), so best to wait it out, but do send some case-specific enquiries.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Try sending enquiries directly to CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca, NewYork-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca or IRCC.TREnquiries-RenseignementRT.IRCC@cic.gc.ca. The IRCC should really let you know where your application is being processed so you can communicate with the relevant visa office.
The only reply I got was actually from CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca . It sucks that they have zero accountability & absolutely no transparency whatsoever...I think I can just make it a fun habit to send a nastygram every couple weeks...might as well make someone work and have to cross-reference

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Just in case someone else is stuck with those idiots, I clocked over 8 weeks... This is 6x the posted timeline -- even my home country is posted to have half that frame!

The only update is that I got the infamous genius "update", that says "no updates to your applicaiton". Let's see how many I'll get of these.

I wonder if I should submit a story to CBC? Also, if I withdraw my application in the background check step, do I get a refund?

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
You could get a decision soon.
Nah, that's not the first such stupid "update". The previous one was at the 30th day mark. This one is exactly at the 60th so it's obviously an auto-generated e-mail every 30 days.

As processing has started (yeah, eight weeks ago), you won't get a refund
Hah...has it really, though. I sent another nastygram in response. They really goad us with these stupid updates.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
After 10 weeks I finally got something: a biometrics letter. I had paid the fess, but the online application still says "no need for biometrics". I imagine they'll "sort it out", though given their pace it may take another couple months

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After 10 weeks I finally got something: a biometrics letter. I had paid the fess, but the online application still says "no need for biometrics". I imagine they'll "sort it out", though given their pace it may take another couple months
My husband got biometric request the day after submission. He gave his biometrics the next day. For 3 weeks his status said action needed. We need your biometrics. Then it changed to submitted. Now his status shows we don't need your biometrics. It showed that elegibility and background check started from day one and still going on. Do they check them every time one applies? He has like a dozen previously approved Canadian visas. This is the first time that this is taking so long.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
My husband got biometric request the day after submission. He gave his biometrics the next day. For 3 weeks his status said action needed. We need your biometrics. Then it changed to submitted. Now his status shows we don't need your biometrics. It showed that elegibility and background check started from day one and still going on. Do they check them every time one applies? He has like a dozen previously approved Canadian visas. This is the first time that this is taking so long.
Same here. First time to have this check (and clearly misplaced IMO). Any luck for your husband? My status has always been "you don't need biometrics" though they made me pay with the application.

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here. First time to have this check (and clearly misplaced IMO). Any luck for your husband? My status has always been "you don't need biometrics" though they made me pay with the application.
No update. Same status for weeks now.
He gave his biometrics weeks ago. His status shows we don't need your biometrics. Will let you know if this changes.

Any update?

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Congratulations. at least your application is moving forward. My husband applied for online trv from the US. It's been more than 9 weeks now. We started to think his application may have disappeared from IRCC's system (not the mycic portal one).

bonitaellada

Jul 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations. at least your application is moving forward. My husband applied for online trv from the US. It's been more than 9 weeks now. We started to think his application may have disappeared from IRCC's system (not the mycic portal one).
Same here!
What does his status say? Have you tried contacting IRCC?