+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online citizenship test

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
Guys, during my test, everythinf went fine, but while I was answering test questions during the 30 mins, there was a box on bottom right with a red sign.

It seemed like it should show my camera or something but it didnt show anything, just a red sign.

Is this fine, anyone else had this issue?

Reactions: varlam

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Guys, during my test, everythinf went fine, but while I was answering test questions during the 30 mins, there was a box on bottom right with a red sign.

It seemed like it should show my camera or something but it didnt show anything, just a red sign.

Is this fine, anyone else had this issue?
Hey friend - I did, then I got a call a few days later from the IRCC saying that they invalidated my test because they couldn't see me do the test and to stay posted for a re-issue of the test invite to do it. Got another invite towards the end of the month, this time making sure to use another system (laptop) to do it and sure enough, in that box you should see the webcam on and yourself while you do the actual test to make sure it works.

Reactions: Help!

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
Hey friend - I did, then I got a call a few days later from the IRCC saying that they invalidated my test because they couldn't see me do the test and to stay posted for a re-issue of the test invite to do it. Got another invite towards the end of the month, this time making sure to use another system (laptop) to do it and sure enough, in that box you should see the webcam on and yourself while you do the actual test to make sure it works.
Very unfortunate

How long did it take to get another invitation? This is very sad, it means I will have to study again, man.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Very unfortunate

How long did it take to get another invitation? This is very sad, it means I will have to study again, man.
Well, I took the test on August 26 (Original window was between August 23 - September 12). I got the call on September 3rd about the test invalidation. Then, on September 29, I received notification of my re-test with the new window being between October 4 and October 24).

I gave it the morning of October 4 (didn't want to wait any longer) and am waiting for it to move to Completed (pretty confident it should go through without an issue this time, seeing as I used a different machine and my webcam was on throughout and I didn't see that cross on the webcam thing that I saw the last time).

My recommendation is to use a laptop or something with an inbuilt webcam - my mistake the last time was using my desktop with a USB webcam, which based on my research after the event, seems to be hit-or-miss for a lot of users giving the test. Also, make sure you have given your browser all the appropriate permissions as well; in my case, I used a Macbook and Safari the second time around, because that is exactly what they specified in their letter as well.

As a bit of positivity - the first time I gave the exam, I got 19/20 and I was baffled about what I got wrong. This time around when I went to retake it, I scored a full 20/20 and even though it's silly, it made my day :D :cool:

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
Well, I took the test on August 26 (Original window was between August 23 - September 12). I got the call on September 3rd about the test invalidation. Then, on September 29, I received notification of my re-test with the new window being between October 4 and October 24).

I gave it the morning of October 4 (didn't want to wait any longer) and am waiting for it to move to Completed (pretty confident it should go through without an issue this time, seeing as I used a different machine and my webcam was on throughout and I didn't see that cross on the webcam thing that I saw the last time).

My recommendation is to use a laptop or something with an inbuilt webcam - my mistake the last time was using my desktop with a USB webcam, which based on my research after the event, seems to be hit-or-miss for a lot of users giving the test. Also, make sure you have given your browser all the appropriate permissions as well; in my case, I used a Macbook and Safari the second time around, because that is exactly what they specified in their letter as well.

As a bit of positivity - the first time I gave the exam, I got 19/20 and I was baffled about what I got wrong. This time around when I went to retake it, I scored a full 20/20 and even though it's silly, it made my day :D :cool:

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, man. It just looks like a waste of time. I might just buy a laptop and call it a day . Last question, when I take a photo of myself, it says to look at the screen. Should this be literally looking to the screen, not the camera?

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply, man. It just looks like a waste of time. I might just buy a laptop and call it a day .
Yeah, I just happen to use a laptop for work, so I just used my work laptop for this.

Last question, when I take a photo of myself, it says to look at the screen. Should this be literally looking to the screen, not the camera?
I think the instructions are a bit confusing in this regard, because it seems like it was written with the assumption that you're using a laptop in the first place (i.e. the webcam position is fixed and likely in the same location as the screen, so no matter how you slice it, looking at the screen also implies looking at the webcam to a certain extent :D ). I'd say orient it in the same way that the face in the sample picture looks at at it and make sure that you follow all the other instructions too (face in the green circle, etc.)

Honestly, the test was the least stressful part of the thing - it was taking the photo of myself and taking a picture of the ID (Webcams are typically potato quality, so holding it at just the right distance for the damn thing to focus and steadily enough to fit within the square template on the screen was by far the most 'mildly infuriating' thing I had to deal with in a while :D )

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
Yeah, I just happen to use a laptop for work, so I just used my work laptop for this.

I think the instructions are a bit confusing in this regard, because it seems like it was written with the assumption that you're using a laptop in the first place (i.e. the webcam position is fixed and likely in the same location as the screen, so no matter how you slice it, looking at the screen also implies looking at the webcam to a certain extent :D ). I'd say orient it in the same way that the face in the sample picture looks at at it and make sure that you follow all the other instructions too (face in the green circle, etc.)

Honestly, the test was the least stressful part of the thing - it was taking the photo of myself and taking a picture of the ID (Webcams are typically potato quality, so holding it at just the right distance for the damn thing to focus and steadily enough to fit within the square template on the screen was by far the most 'mildly infuriating' thing I had to deal with in a while :D )
Thanks so much, man . I will send them an email then to save time and inform them about the problem. You think this is fine?

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Thanks so much, man . I will send them an email then to save time and inform them about the problem. You think this is fine?
I'd say either call in or wait for them to directly reach out to you about your test being invalidated and ask them when you can expect the test to be rescheduled. I think it really depends on your office, to be honest so it's anybody's guess.

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
I'd say either call in or wait for them to directly reach out to you about your test being invalidated and ask them when you can expect the test to be rescheduled. I think it really depends on your office, to be honest so it's anybody's guess.
Just called them now. They said wait for office to assess your answer. Nothing much I could do actually. I also send email to office but it didn't include reporting issues during the test.

It looks like only option is to wait for them to call me.

Reactions: siddharthbala

SAM_2014

Oct 17, 2015
Visa Office......
London (Previous MCH Current BWJ)
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-07- 2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
Nomination.....
14-11- 2014
AOR Received.
------
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
14-11-2014
Med's Request
05-10-2015
Med's Done....
07-10- 2015 Ecas Medical have been received 14-10-2015
Interview........
04-10- 2015 (Updated PCC & FORMS)
Passport Req..
08-02 2016 Alhamdolilah
VISA ISSUED...
Passport submitted 11-02-2016 & received 15-03-2016 Alhamdolilah
LANDED..........
29-04-2016
I dont understand, i applied in March 2020 and still waiting for any communication from IRCC. And people from 2021 getting invites and their processes moving forward. What is wrong with our files. Did those files had covid :(

varlam

Dec 6, 2020
I dont understand, i applied in March 2020 and still waiting for any communication from IRCC. And people from 2021 getting invites and their processes moving forward. What is wrong with our files. Did those files had covid :(
your file must need an antivirus, lol, did you give your file a pfizer or moderna?
just kidding :) i hear you

xlnc7

Dec 10, 2015
NOC Code......
A-1122
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
Does anybody know what happens if someone fails the test?

Help!

Star Member
Apr 12, 2021
May I ask which office is processing your application?

Reactions: Boy_1234

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.