+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Application for Work Permit

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Petoto said:
It means that people who enter to the US under visa waiver are not eligible to apply work permit there? Actually I thought same thing, then I called VAC over 10 times. I asked them that can I apply my work permit through VAC even if I can stay in the US only maximum 90 days. Then always all agents told me I can. I thought I need a status in Canada, too; even as visitor. Then I am eligible to apply it at VAC. Even they told me that what if I come to the US as a visitor from our country directly without any states in Canada (even I had never been to Canada), I still can apply work permit through the VAC..... I am super confused.
BTW, I heard that someone who is in Canada currently and wants to send application from within Canada to NY office, but the procedure is not available anymore. Is that true? Does anybody know that? Thanks!
Petoto,

Well, your statement confirms that a person with visit visa to the U.S. can apply at New York office..that is if VAC knows what they are talking about...which I hope they do as I plan to do that.

As for your friend, if he is currently in Canada, he can still send/courier his application to the VAC office in New York.

Thanks,

Cookie

Petoto

Sep 5, 2013
cookie27 said:
Petoto,

Well, your statement confirms that a person with visit visa to the U.S. can apply at New York office..that is if VAC knows what they are talking about...which I hope they do as I plan to do that.

As for your friend, if he is currently in Canada, he can still send/courier his application to the VAC office in New York.

Thanks,

Cookie
Dear cookie

I don't think people cannot mail their application to VAC in NY from Canada. I called the VAC and confirmed over 10 times also one of members here said same thing. I also knew one of my friends tried to mail her application to the VAC but it was returned.
Are you also in Canada currently? If so, have you ever thought to mail your application to Visa office in NY directly from Canada? You sound you want to submit your application either by online or through the VAC. Because mailed application will take much longer or something else?
Thanks again.

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Petoto said:
Dear cookie

I don't think people cannot mail their application to VAC in NY from Canada. I called the VAC and confirmed over 10 times also one of members here said same thing. I also knew one of my friends tried to mail her application to the VAC but it was returned.
Are you also in Canada currently? If so, have you ever thought to mail your application to Visa office in NY directly from Canada? You sound you want to submit your application either by online or through the VAC. Because mailed application will take much longer or something else?
Thanks again.
Hello Petoto,

Below is what's in CIC New York website:

For anyone applying to the visa office in New York:

The VAC in NY will accept:
•temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
•work permit applications
•study permit applications (ONLY for those applying from Bermuda)
•permanent resident travel document applications

As of July 10, these applications should be submitted in person or by mail through the VAC in NY

Remember, you can also apply for your visitor visa, study or work permit online.

Here is the link to above information: http://www.can-am.gc.ca/new-york/highlights-faits_saillants/2013/vac_opening-crdv_ouvrira.aspx?lang=eng

And below is what's in VAC New York website:

STEP 1 - Information to submit an application at the VAC

Biometric Collection

As of September 4, 2013, you may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

If you need to give your biometrics DO NOT submit your application at this VAC, as it does not offer biometric collection services at this time. Instead, apply directly to the visa office in New York City, USA.

There are two ways to submit an application for a Temporary Resident Visa, Work Permit, Study Permit, or Travel Document for Permanent Residents. You may either submit all the required documentation:
•in person at the VAC
•by mail to the VAC using a courier

All applicants submitting an application through the VAC must pay the corresponding fees.

Here is the VAC link for above information: http://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_processing

Possible reasons why the application of your friend was returned could be

1) He is from a country that requires to give biometrics
2) He did not enclose the proof or the payment for the VAC's service charge.

Please know that I am also searching, reading and not an expert...not sure if above reasons are accurate as to why the application of your friend was returned.

Thanks,

Cookie

xavie07

Sep 25, 2013
PlasmodiumVivax said:
I would suggest you try applying online anyway. Before you can start the process you will have to answer a quite a lot of questions from their wizard and it would tell you whether you are eligible or not. If you are then you can proceed and follow thru the process.
Hello bro..
I was following your post in this forum since I am also planning to apply online if my LMO would arrive and if it would be possitive. I had gone through the CIC site with all the eligibility survey and have read the necessary documents and forms needed. I have several questions and hope that you could help me clear this things out.

1. The application form and family form. It says there that you dont need to sign the forms since they will ask your electronic signature before paying the fee. But I read someone posted in this thread that no need to sign the application form, but you need to print, sign, and upload the family form. Is it true? or it is just ok without signing it?

2. Why is that there is no police clearance in my list of needed documents? If I will apply through papers they would definitely need a police clearance.

3. How can I sign elctronically before paying the fee? I mean I dont have the gadget for signing. But I think I can produce an elctronic signature from other computer and just paste it in MS word and I can transfer it in my computer. How do they get your electronic signature? is it by just copying the signature you made and then paste it? or you really need to have an electronic pen and all other devices?

4. About the supporting documents. All documents such as diplomas, tor, work experience etc. are all scanned and gathered in one PDF file?

Too many questions, Im sorry. I hope you could find time answering them all. That would be highly appreciated. Bless you

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
xavie07 said:
Hello bro..
I was following your post in this forum since I am also planning to apply online if my LMO would arrive and if it would be possitive. I had gone through the CIC site with all the eligibility survey and have read the necessary documents and forms needed. I have several questions and hope that you could help me clear this things out.

1. The application form and family form. It says there that you dont need to sign the forms since they will ask your electronic signature before paying the fee. But I read someone posted in this thread that no need to sign the application form, but you need to print, sign, and upload the family form. Is it true? or it is just ok without signing it?

2. Why is that there is no police clearance in my list of needed documents? If I will apply through papers they would definitely need a police clearance.

3. How can I sign elctronically before paying the fee? I mean I dont have the gadget for signing. But I think I can produce an elctronic signature from other computer and just paste it in MS word and I can transfer it in my computer. How do they get your electronic signature? is it by just copying the signature you made and then paste it? or you really need to have an electronic pen and all other devices?

4. About the supporting documents. All documents such as diplomas, tor, work experience etc. are all scanned and gathered in one PDF file?

Too many questions, Im sorry. I hope you could find time answering them all. That would be highly appreciated. Bless you
Electronic signature means you would type your name in Blocks (capitals and nothing else). There will be a separate page asking for it before paying the fee.

You do not have to physically sign the Application form. Just type your name in place though.

However, it is better that you print, sign, scan and upload the family information form.

The reason this should not be done for primary application form is, it needs to be validated. If you print a form and upload a scanned copy, it no longer can be validated.

darkariez

Sep 19, 2013
riyadh
Category........
Visa Office......
riyadh-online
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov. 08, 2013
IELTS Request
n/a
Hotpat73 said:
hi thanks for the response, I have done the eligibility test and I do qualify to work in Canada. I am from a non exempt country (TRV) and this is the cause of my concern. I am able to apply for the work permit at the border but its the TRV that I'm concerned about
Hi hotpat73, we have the same situation regarding the online application. Im also planning to apply online for TWP, I'm also confuse if we need to apply separate for TRV?

Inshalla someone help us.... God Bless....

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
darkariez said:
Hi hotpat73, we have the same situation regarding the online application. Im also planning to apply online for TWP, I'm also confuse if we need to apply separate for TRV?

Inshalla someone help us.... God Bless....
You only apply for work permit in your home country / country of residence at the embassy which officially caters it. This means if you apply on paper you use the official channel i.e. either going to Visa application center in person or sending it via post / use drop box, what ever your embassy requires. If you apply online, merely indicating your current permanent residence would specify that processing of your application is done primary at your visa office.

If successful, your passport will be stamped with a trv and you will be given a 'letter of introduction' which helps you to get the actual work permit at the port of entry.

You do not have to apply separately for a trv, although your work permit application will already include a form for it.

Petoto

Sep 5, 2013
cookie27 said:
Hello Petoto,

Below is what's in CIC New York website:

•temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
•work permit applications
•study permit applications (ONLY for those applying from Bermuda)
•permanent resident travel document applications

As of July 10, these applications should be submitted in person or by mail through the VAC in NY

Remember, you can also apply for your visitor visa, study or work permit online.

Here is the link to above information: http://www.can-am.gc.ca/new-york/highlights-faits_saillants/2013/vac_opening-crdv_ouvrira.aspx?lang=eng

And below is what's in VAC New York website:

STEP 1 - Information to submit an application at the VAC

Biometric Collection

As of September 4, 2013, you may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when applying for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

If you need to give your biometrics DO NOT submit your application at this VAC, as it does not offer biometric collection services at this time. Instead, apply directly to the visa office in New York City, USA.

There are two ways to submit an application for a Temporary Resident Visa, Work Permit, Study Permit, or Travel Document for Permanent Residents. You may either submit all the required documentation:
•in person at the VAC
•by mail to the VAC using a courier

All applicants submitting an application through the VAC must pay the corresponding fees.

Here is the VAC link for above information: http://www.csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_processing

Possible reasons why the application of your friend was returned could be

1) He is from a country that requires to give biometrics
2) He did not enclose the proof or the payment for the VAC's service charge.

Please know that I am also searching, reading and not an expert...not sure if above reasons are accurate as to why the application of your friend was returned.

Thanks,

Cookie
Dear Cookie

Thanks for your response again. I appreciate it.
First of all, I understand there are nobody here who can provide 100% sure information. I appreciate what if somebody can provide own experience or researching. I am willing, too. But I also can't commit anything except my REAL experience.

Actually I have been researching about procedure how to apply my application whole this month. I spent tons of time, too!! So I know your views. My friend is from exemption country for biometrics and enclosed the payments for both CIC and VAC. But it was still returned. Because it was sent from Canada, not the US. Everybody who wants to use the VAC in NY, they have to stay and wait within the US, I always heard.

I still might try to send my application to the consulate in NY directly my mail from within Canada and wait.

CGToronto

Sep 8, 2013
Hi! I am under LICP, my 2 year contract will last until March 2014. But my work permit and temporary resident visa will expire both on November 2013. Do I need to renew both or the work permit only? Any info will be of help. Thanks!

Hotpat73

Aug 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-10-2013
AOR Received.
05-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Hi

This is all very confusing and does not help with a person deciding how to submit their application. The website says that :

temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
work permit applications
study permit applications (ONLY for those applying from Bermuda)
permanent resident travel document applications
As of July 10, these applications should be submitted in person or by mail through the VAC in NY.

But then at the bottom says:

We encourage you to apply online or through the VAC applications submitted directly to the visa office may take longer to process. By submitting an application through the VAC, you will be able to take advantage of the extended hours of service, online tracking of your application and the assurance that your application is complete and all the proper documentation is included. We are confident that this will lead to more efficient processing of your application. For more information on the services provided at VACs, please visit the CIC website.

This is information found on the VAC New York website, how are we supposed to submit an application?
Can anyone help ?

thanks

Hotpat73

Aug 21, 2013
Alberta
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-10-2013
AOR Received.
05-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
First they say that as of 10 July we must submit applications in person, then later on they say that they encourage us to apply online.

I am now sitting with a complete application package and not sure how to submit!?!?!?!?

samir3132

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2010
Visa Office......
cpp
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Nov 22, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 08, 2014
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2014
Med's Request
June 04 2014
Med's Done....
June 06 2014
Passport Req..
sep 26,2014
VISA ISSUED...
06 Oct 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 01 2015
Need help I am in Canada on close workpermit and want to apply for my wife and 2 yr child visa from back home India can I apply online wp for spouse and visitor visa or study visa for child? Pleas suggest.

Petoto

Sep 5, 2013
Hotpat73 said:
First they say that as of 10 July we must submit applications in person, then later on they say that they encourage us to apply online.

I am now sitting with a complete application package and not sure how to submit!?!?!?!?
Dear Hotpat73

I am definitely same situation as you are. I am still VERY confused about it. I wonder the consulate in NY still accept our application by mail from Canada or not. Also I wonder we can apply by online from within Canada and the consulate in NY will check our application. But the fact is that every time I tried online questionnaires, they don't allow me to make an account, they always say I am not eligible to apply work permit by online from Canada as a visitor!!!
I am already ready to apply my work permit!!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
samir3132 said:
Need help I am in Canada on close workpermit and want to apply for my wife and 2 yr child visa from back home India can I apply online wp for spouse and visitor visa or study visa for child? Pleas suggest.
If you have a skilled job NOC 0, A or B, you can apply for open work permit for your wife, trv (multiple entry - else it would only be for six months) for child under the age of 6. You only apply for open study permit for a child aged 6+ and school going.

You sure can apply online, but that doesn't mean your application will be processed in Canada. It will still be processed most likely in India and obey the processing times there. I said 'most likely' because for an online application, CIC can transfer processing of your app to another center based upon back log of applications at an embassy, but that is just the exception, not the norm.

cookie27

Star Member
Apr 16, 2013
Hotpat73 said:
Hi

This is all very confusing and does not help with a person deciding how to submit their application. The website says that :

temporary resident visa (visitor visa) applications
work permit applications
study permit applications (ONLY for those applying from Bermuda)
permanent resident travel document applications
As of July 10, these applications should be submitted in person or by mail through the VAC in NY.

But then at the bottom says:

We encourage you to apply online or through the VAC applications submitted directly to the visa office may take longer to process. By submitting an application through the VAC, you will be able to take advantage of the extended hours of service, online tracking of your application and the assurance that your application is complete and all the proper documentation is included. We are confident that this will lead to more efficient processing of your application. For more information on the services provided at VACs, please visit the CIC website.

This is information found on the VAC New York website, how are we supposed to submit an application?
Can anyone help ?

thanks
Hotpat,

July 10 is the date when they opened VAC in New York. I believe it's a sort of announcement that aside from ONLINE application, you can or should direct by mail or in person your application through the VAC in New York. However, VAC in New York only accepts applications of those who are currently in the U.S. (even tourist visa holders). That is why if you are currently in Canada as a visitor, you can't mail in your application to VAC. You have to mail it to NYC Consulate. If you apply online while you are in Canada, your application will be processed by the visa office responsible for your country of residence or citizenship.

Thanks,

Cookie