+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One year deferral to an university, will there be any problems with immigration?

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
Hello, I applied to an university in Canada for September 2013 session, and was granted the offer, and also received my study permit and multiple visa for it. However, it was too late by the time I received the visa to go the university (their deadline had expired about 2 weeks prior to me getting the visa), so I asked the university for a deferral to next year, i.e. September 2014 and received it.
Now my question is, can I use the visa I currently have to go to that university next year? Or do I have to reapply for another visa? thank you and please help.

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you already travel to Canada? I'm asking because you said you got both the Visa and the permit and permit is usually issued to you after you get there.

If so, how long did you get the permit for? You will basically have to explain it when you apply for an extension.

As long as your visa is valid, you can still travel with it.

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
Sorry I made a mistake, I did not actually receive a permit, just an email saying my permit would be issued when i arrive at Canada. I'm still at my home country and planning to go to canada next year. So what would I have to do now? Would I have to apply for an extension now? Please reply

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long is your visa valid till?

If its still valid by the time you start your university next year, you should be fine. You can tell immigration that you deferred till next year because the visa was not issued in time to start the semester and your permit will be issued from that point onwards.

Just make sure you carry your documentation from the university regarding the deferred admission.

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
Yes my visa is valid until 2017, and the email said my study permit will be valid up to 2017 as well...and what about medical? Since I'm not leaving my country until next year do I have to do another medical examination?
Thank you and please reply.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-poe-landing-experience-with-my-family-t158756.0.html;msg2464697#msg2464697
Check this thread

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
Thank you for the link, however I'm still confused about the medical matter. Do I have to do medical again, since I'm leaving one year later than I'm supposed to?
Thanks and please reply.

cheetaguy

Aug 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny229 said:
Please help
Your medical is valid for one full year from the date your medical was done. If you enter Canada within this 12 month period, you should not need another medical.

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
Well my medical was done in august but i plan on going to canada next september, so I will need to do medical again right? do i have to contact the immigration office for this?
pls reply

cheetaguy

Aug 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny229 said:
Well my medical was done in august but i plan on going to canada next september, so I will need to do medical again right? do i have to contact the immigration office for this?
pls reply
True! If r going in September, you'll need remedical. I am not sure about your second question, you may need to contact the CIC!

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
well i sent the cic an email about my situation but for some reason they said that i should cancel my current visa and reapply next year...why would i have to do that? i mean both my visa and permit are valid until 2017...can anyone please explain this?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny229 said:
well i sent the cic an email about my situation but for some reason they said that i should cancel my current visa and reapply next year...why would i have to do that? i mean both my visa and permit are valid until 2017...can anyone please explain this?
Had I been in your situation, I won't complicate the case. I would simply land at POE next year with all the required documents. IO will ask you for a reason why did you not visit last year, You should have LOA form Uni and the deferral letter to show. You need to show him evidence that as the TRV was granted after the session had already started and in fact the last date to join was missed already, I got my admission deferred. YOu should have Uni letter confirming your deferral (which is the deferral letter). You shouldn't worry about Medical either. As your session starts in September, you should land here in last week of August (this way you will be eliminating the possibility of questions on medical).

You have a valid reason for postponing your trip and you should be able to simply convince IO with relevant docs. At POE, IO aren't there to send you back but to judge if you are a genuine candidate or not. Hence, you shouldn't have any issue.

Best of luck.

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
sabby thank you for you reply. actually my session will start somewhere in the middle of september so i will arrive at canada on september instead of august, which means i have to do my medical again...i have to contact the cic for this right?
also, i'm confused as to why the cic would tell me to cancel my visa and permit and reapply...what do you think could be the reason for this?
please answer these 2 questions, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks