+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One year deferral to an university, will there be any problems with immigration?

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
I just wanted to know if it's true that medicals expire after one year...if it's true then I have to contact CIC and do another medical next year...if it's not true then obviously i don't have anything to worry about.
pls reply

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Sunny229 said:
I just wanted to know if it's true that medicals expire after one year...if it's true then I have to contact CIC and do another medical next year...if it's not true then obviously i don't have anything to worry about.
pls reply
yes medicals expire in a year....true..

my question to you will be how would you provide CIC with the medicals?

You go to a CIC designated doctor, you do your medicals, you get a copy of medicals, then what? How do you propose you will provide CIC with the updated medical records without filing for a new visa?

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
isn't there any process or application that would allow me to update my medical for my current visa rather than apply for a new one?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Sunny229 said:
isn't there any process or application that would allow me to update my medical for my current visa rather than apply for a new one?
that's the whole question here...nobody knows that there is such a process...it may not even exist in which you would have to file again

cheetaguy

Aug 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny229 said:
so i guess my best option is to go to canada a few days before my medicals expire right?
Why not ask this question directly to CIC and be sure about it. Ask them what if you intend to defer to summer 2014 and consequently land in Canada in July, 2014 instead of fall September, 2014? Why not to see what they say and let us know about it too.....

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Sunny229 said:
so i guess my best option is to go to canada a few days before my medicals expire right?
By "CIC", what do you mean? you mean the Canadian embassy in your country or what?

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
i did ask them about it, they said if i intended to defer to winter or summer 2014, i had to show them the updated letter of acceptance from the university...but if i want to defer to fall 2014 i have to reapply for visa

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
"You have to show them the updated letter of acceptance from the university if you defer to Winter or Summer 2014"!!??
That's weird because I know guys who deferred their admission for 1 and even 2 semesters and other guy who even changed the university after getting the visa. They all did not submit an updated letter of acceptance.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
"You have to show them the updated letter of acceptance from the university if you defer to Winter or Summer 2014"!!??
That's weird because I know guys who deferred their admission for 1 and even 2 semesters and other guy who even changed the university after getting the visa. They all did not submit an updated letter of acceptance.
that's so wrong Hanna, at POE, when the IO checks your passport and visa date, usually they ask you for both cases - 1. when you arrive way ahead of semester start date or 2. way post the start date. In the second scenario, one should have the deferral letter. I have tried hard to make him understand it won't be an issue as long as he lands in the last week of August, but then he is looking for an answer which nobody has. So really don't know who can help him at all. I believe, strongly believe as long as he is landing in the last week of August and carrying deferral letter, he shouldn't have any problem at all. But then I think he will end up applying for TRV again.

Yes you were right about the part - changing college/uni, they just see the LOA and in rare cases they cross check with college/uni.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
sabby2612 said:
that's so wrong Hanna, at POE, when the IO checks your passport and visa date, usually they ask you for both cases - 1. when you arrive way ahead of semester start date or 2. way post the start date. In the second scenario, one should have the deferral letter. I have tried hard to make him understand it won't be an issue as long as he lands in the last week of August, but then he is looking for an answer which nobody has. So really don't know who can help him at all. I believe, strongly believe as long as he is landing in the last week of August and carrying deferral letter, he shouldn't have any problem at all. But then I think he will end up applying for TRV again.

Yes you were right about the part - changing college/uni, they just see the LOA and in rare cases they cross check with college/uni.
Well, you got me wrong.. He said he was told that he had to show them (Embassy) the updated letter of acceptance from the university, so what I was talking about is embassy not POE! you are right.. at the POE he should show a valid letter of acceptance.
So yea.. He SHOULD show an updated LOA at the POE but I haven't seen any guy here who showed it to the embassy before landing in Canada.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
Well, you got me wrong.. He said he was told that he had to show them (Embassy) the updated letter of acceptance from the university, so what I was talking about is embassy not POE! you are right.. at the POE he should show a valid letter of acceptance.
So yea.. He SHOULD show an updated LOA at the POE but I haven't seen any guy here who showed it to the embassy before landing in Canada.
Ooops... my bad then...

cheetaguy

Aug 5, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sunny229 said:
i did ask them about it, they said if i intended to defer to winter or summer 2014, i had to show them the updated letter of acceptance from the university...but if i want to defer to fall 2014 i have to reapply for visa
Now that has been my point! if you have already asked this to CIC, you already have all the answers!

Sunny229

Oct 24, 2013
sabby i can't land on the last week of august, my session would start sometime in the middle of september, where would i stay until then? i dont have any relatives in canada