+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP PhD Graduate Stream 2022 - Processing times & delays

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
@Pitlord1991 That's what I thought. Found several post and people on canadavisa forum who went through the same situation and ended up not giving the IELTS. Still looking for a comprehensive guide for the IRCC part of the process though. Do you mind kindly helping with that while you do yours?
Yes, will also appreciate if some one can share the process after PNP nomination? It will be good to know the process in detail.

Pitlord1991

Oct 21, 2022
@Pitlord1991, @deltaV @alphaparrot @BerryLover @nematodehero I have recently registered EOI for the OINP PhD steam in Jan 2023 and am expecting to receive an invite in the next lottery (possibly end of Feb). I wanted to understand if once we receive the nomination from the province, while applying to IRCC through the non-express entry program, do we need the IELTS/ language requirement proof? (since its not mandatory at least for the OINP PhD steam part)
I will update you guys as it goes. For now, I just submitted my application in Non-express entry. i do not expect to see any progress soon. I hope in 2 months later, it will change to AOR.

Reactions: Naseer_k

Pitlord1991

Oct 21, 2022
Thank you @Pitlord1991 for taking the time and answering my query. Seems I will have to submit a new EOI at a later time.
Congrats to you and everyone here who got their PNP nomination and/or are in the next phases for application.

It is good to have this support forum to seek some guidance and/or opinion from everyone's experience.
Agreed, sharing experience will result in saving money and time.

deltaV

Dec 22, 2022
@deltaV so does that mean that IELTS results MUST be valid for the whole time when you submit your application to IRCC? and for the whole time till theh final processing?
I can't answer firmly, my interpretation wis that it is required, but I could be completely wrong and IELTS score might not even be required at all. We are all learning through our experiences.

IRCC is not clear about the language score requirements for PhD Graduate applicants through Non-EE. And I believe it is so because not every province has PNP stream especially for PhD Graduates as Ontario has.

Unless someone gets through a particular situation, we won't be able to know how to deal with it. I hope we don't have to go through any adverse situation throughout this journey.

deltaV

Dec 22, 2022
Hi all,

Need advice. My OINP application (under Phd) stream got notice of intent to refusal and I am asked to submit response within 30 days.

The reason mentioned as "not completing one year of residency in Ontario".

Background and Time line:
EOI submitted : May 3rd 2022
NOI received : October 25th, 2022
Application/Documents Submitted: Nov., 4th, 2022
Received intent of refusal : Feb 1st, 2023

My question is don't they consider/count the residency from the date when you submitted the EOI? or it is counted when you submit the documents(like after getting the NOI)?I had been in Canada before, but during the Covid times (when everything was online), I travelled back to the home country and then while I planned to return, I was stuck as flights ban etc.
I mentioned these reasons with details in additional letter/explanation while I submitted my documents but they say in the letter during the last two years (Nov, 2022 to Nov, 2020), your residency is not one year which shows that they consider the time when the actual application is submitted (after NOI).

My question is :

1. What next steps should I take? If they consider the dates when I submitted the application (after getting the NOI) then yes, their reasoning is correct but if it is considered from the point when I submitted my EOI (May 2022), then I meet the critera. The reason is that IRCC OINP site states that

"3. Residency in Ontario
You must have legally lived in Ontario for at least one year in the past two years before you apply.
Note that your one year of residency can be cumulative. This means that there can be gaps provided that all the periods of residency in Ontario add up to 12 months within the past two years before you apply".

So this phrase of "before you apply" cause misunderstanding to me.

2. Should I write a response and say that I accept their objection and will submit a new application in the same stream.

3. When they give final decision/refusal (if so) as I do not know wht justification is to there from my side?, so do I have to create a new EOI on this portal and can submit a new application under PhD stream (like apply after few months to meet the residency criteria)?

Can any one suggest what should be done to follow up as they ask to submit response within 30 days?

Kindly guide and suggest alternatives if any as this is really upsetting :-(

@Pitlord1991 , @deltaV , @alphaparrot , @nematodehero kindly share your opinions.

Thanks and Regards,

Sorry to hear about your situation.

In my opinion, you can be truthful and write to OINP about your understanding of one year residency and let them decide it. And request them to consider it as a special case. It does not harm your application in any way and who knows if they consider it you win.

For now, you know that you do not fulfil the one-year residency requirement. So even if your application is refused, there is no need to feel sad. Consider it as just a short delay. We are all PhD graduates and each one of us must have gone through unexpected obstacles during our PhD. So be optimistic.

I would suggest you respond to OINP ASAP so that they can take a decision on your file, and you can re-apply for EOI. By now you must have fulfilled the one-year residency requirement, so you shouldn't be waiting to apply for EOI. Also check if you can re-apply for EOI even before OINP takes a decision on your current application. There could be another OINP draw for PhD Stream any time and to get an invitation, you must be in the pool.

deltaV

Dec 22, 2022
I would suggest to have the IELTS on a safe side as it will also increase your points. For my application, I submitted my EOI first (without IELTS) and since no draws were happening and it took longer, I gave IELTS and updated my EOI by providing IELTS score. This further increased my points.

I would also suggest having IELTS score ready, not just for PNP but for EE application as well. Non-EE PNP applications processing time is around 21 months as of now. Whereas EE applications are processed quickly. To be in the EE pool, an IELTS score is necessary. Once you have one year's work experience you can be in the EE pool under CEC.

And if you have previous experience, you can be in the pool under FSW. I had my IELTS score so I created my EE profile and now I'm in pool under FSW and in couple of months will be eligible for CEC as well.

Again, it's an individual choice if they wish to apply for both Non-EE and EE. The only thing is you need to pay separately for both the applications, but when one of the applications is decided, the other gets automatically withdrawn and you get a refund.

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
I can't answer firmly, my interpretation wis that it is required, but I could be completely wrong and IELTS score might not even be required at all. We are all learning through our experiences.

IRCC is not clear about the language score requirements for PhD Graduate applicants through Non-EE. And I believe it is so because not every province has PNP stream especially for PhD Graduates as Ontario has.

Unless someone gets through a particular situation, we won't be able to know how to deal with it. I hope we don't have to go through any adverse situation throughout this journey.
Thank you for your time and answering. Yes, true, wish everyone all the best in this journey.

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
Sorry to hear about your situation.

In my opinion, you can be truthful and write to OINP about your understanding of one year residency and let them decide it. And request them to consider it as a special case. It does not harm your application in any way and who knows if they consider it you win.

For now, you know that you do not fulfil the one-year residency requirement. So even if your application is refused, there is no need to feel sad. Consider it as just a short delay. We are all PhD graduates and each one of us must have gone through unexpected obstacles during our PhD. So be optimistic.

I would suggest you respond to OINP ASAP so that they can take a decision on your file, and you can re-apply for EOI. By now you must have fulfilled the one-year residency requirement, so you shouldn't be waiting to apply for EOI. Also check if you can re-apply for EOI even before OINP takes a decision on your current application. There could be another OINP draw for PhD Stream any time and to get an invitation, you must be in the pool.
Thanks a lot for your response and encouragement. That's helpful. Furthermore, I will also have one year work experience in next 4 months then I believe I can check the CEC stream too . Yes, I agree thanks for your suggestions. I shall write to them with details to see if they can consider it.

Thanks again and good luck towards your journey.

May 8, 2023
Hello all,

• EOI was submitted on March 10, 2023, with a score of 59.
  • Invitation to apply - April 4, 2023
  • Application date submitted - April 6, 2023
  • Completeness review and moved forward to the assessment stage - April 25, 2023
  • A decision has been in progress since April 27, 2023.
I have a valid Express Entry profile with a CRS score of 473 (CEC). A question for those who have applied for non-EE PNP Permanent residency: Did IRCC contact you at any point to link with the existing EE profile? If yes, please mention your timelines.

Thanks

Derek000

May 16, 2023
Hello all,

• EOI was submitted on March 10, 2023, with a score of 59.
  • Application date submitted - April 6, 2023
  • Completeness review and moved forward to the assessment stage - April 25, 2023
  • A decision has been in progress since April 27, 2023.
I have a valid Express Entry profile with a CRS score of 473 (CEC). A question for those who have applied for non-EE PNP Permanent residency: Did IRCC contact you at any point to link with the existing EE profile? If yes, please mention your timelines.

Thanks
  • EOI was submitted on Dec 20, 2023, with a score of 55
  • Application date submitted - April 11, 2023
  • Completeness review and moved forward to the assessment stage - May 1, 2023
  • A decision has been in progress since May 5, 2023.
I haven't applied for EE. Do you receive any updates from OINP recently ?

May 8, 2023
I got the nomination approval letter on May 24, 2023.

Derek000

May 16, 2023
Approved on May 25, 2023

Derek000

May 16, 2023
Hello, guys. I just received my Confirmation of Nomation from OINP PhD Stream today. However, I find that "New Worker 09914" under "Name of Occupation and NOC". I am not sure if this will cause troubles in the following applications. Currently, I am unemployed but I write the "Machine Learning Engineer" under "Intented Occupation" in the oinp application. I wonder if there is someone else who face the same situation?