OINP PhD Graduate Stream 2022 - Processing times & delays

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Starting a thread, since it doesn't seem like one's been started yet....

Submitted application for nomination under the PhD Graduate Stream on March 8, 2022, after registering my EOI on November 22, 2021 (had a score of 32 in the OINP system). Application was still under "Submitted" status by June 11, 2022 (before Ontario updated their processing time estimate from 30-60 days to 90-120 days), meaning they hadn't looked at it yet (i.e. docs hadn't been checked yet, and application was not yet under assessment). By that point I'd received a job offer, so I emailed the OINP office to ask about a) processing times and whether my application had fallen through the cracks, and b) whether I needed to officially inform OINP that my employment and financial situation had changed. On their advice I submitted a change of personal information form a few days later documenting the job offer and salary (they also gave me the standard response about application times varying).

By July 5, 2022, status had changed to "Assessment", and docs were OK'd. As of July 17, 2022 (131 days after application submitted), no additional progress/updates.

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
Hi, It is a delay for me too, submitted almost the same time as you, last week turned into DIP. I kinda regretted doing OINP Phd Stream, should just do EE instead.
I am wondering how you guys check the date when the status changes. I got no notification from the OINP website. I just log in from time to time to check, so I am not really sure when my application status changed.

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
I also just regularly check; I haven't seen any other way to do it. I saw mention in old forums of emails when the status updated, but that doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

I still think OINP PhD stream was the right choice rather than EE for me at least, since I'm not eligible for CEC (that whole thing about all of your work experience while a PhD student not counting toward the CEC work requirement, and the ~1 year it takes to find a job in industry after leaving academia....), so it'd be either PNP or FSW for me. I'm eligible for FSW and technically could get invited through EE if the score cutoff gets low enough (currently mine is in the low 500s), but the processing time for FSW applications is years--the PNP processing time is 18 months. I'm likely to be invited for either FSW or PNP around the same time even with these OINP delays, and the OINP route potentially shaves 2 years off the whole process.

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
I graduated Nov last year, got a job offer right after graduation. I didn't do much PR application research until yesterday.One of my friend who hold a engineering PhD said he got invited by ee after 2 days he submitted the application and after 6 month he got PR card. That is insanely fast. My EOI score is 28 for PhD stream, not high. Ee point is low 500 too. Lol. Glad you are here because not many candidates for phd stream after all. Good luck.

Last edited:

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
I naively thought OINP was PR application until yesterday I was told it is nomination not the PR application. I was too sloppy for the PR. I really should take it more seriously. I didn't know PNP takes 18 month to process. That's kinda long. The reason I shouldn't do the oinp is I probably have to move to another country after this job (maybe be the end of this year or so). It would suck if PR hasn't issued yet. I hope both of us will get approved for OINP soon. It literally took much longer time than the processing time posted the website if processing time starts since the application is submitted (i am not sure).

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
I also sent email to this address ontarionominee@ontario.ca one month ago inquiring about the processing time, got no reply whatsoever. Today I found some of the required information in my application is blank. I swear I filled out everything. I don't even think I can submit the application with incompleteness. I wrote another letter today. Not sure what's going on.

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
If your application has already passed the point where all your documents are approved, then you probably don't need to worry about things appearing to be blank in the application--glitches happen; they would have contacted you if they needed additional information.

If I may ask, though--why go through the pain, work, and expense of applying for PR if you think you're going to leave the country? PNP in particular typically requires that you stay in the province for at least a little bit after securing PR barring a really good unforeseen reason. That's why part of the OINP application asks for your ties to Ontario, to see how likely you are to settle in Ontario. If you're going to leave anyway, you could have saved yourself likely over $2000 by just not trying to get PR, which really only benefits you if you're trying to settle permanently (thus the name "permanent resident") and eventually get citizenship.

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
Good question. The reason is I want to make sure I have a backup country to settle down besides my home country. Also, I was told using a OINP PR I can move to another province with no problem blabla and I don't want to constrain myself in one place(Apparently it could be misrepresentation, and I know now). I am still in academia and i wish i can continue this journey, my career will not be fixed until I get an really offer(Faculty). You probably know why I have to move now. That's why I mentioned i thought OINP is PR itself, and i thought the processing time is short (30-90 days). If i could get PR that fast, I possibly will have 2-year working experience in Ontario. My current contract is 3 years but my supervisor said I can leave anytime if I get new offer (and I plan to leave by the end of this year). The whole PR thing is my oversight. Cannot complain. Do we have to pay fee to IRCC too? then it is roughly 3000 CAD for PR wasted if I do leave.

nematodehero

Jul 19, 2022
updates, DIP->aprroved on Aug 4th. It literally took 5 months. Kind of sad, because I am leaving in 3-4 months,
Good luck with your application!

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
My application progressed to DIP sometime in the last 2 days--now on Day 150. Fingers crossed it comes through soon!

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Update: still DIP for over 5 weeks now, at 187 days total. Starting to get antsy :/ I know they did another round of invitations to the PhD stream August 30, and at this point have to assume my file is just lowest-priority for whoever's working on it, and they won't actually make a decision until they've cleared the new applications....

BerryLover

Aug 18, 2022
it's ridiculous that they have been processing the master/phd graduate stream for more that 190 days. We paid so much money but did not receive the service that we deserve! I would recommend calling them and ask what's wrong with the process.

Reactions: Outofthe6ix

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
I emailed my MPP (primarily to complain about how ridiculously difficult it is to get on OHIP when the province won't explicitly list the document requirements online for temporary foreign workers, but also mentioned this issue); that's probably the only way to put pressure on the province. I don't think contacting them will do any good at this point; they'll just respond with the boilerplate "processing times vary." If DIP stretches to more than 6 weeks, though, I might email again to see if maybe they need a prod....

I take it you're in a similar frustrated boat?

BerryLover

Aug 18, 2022
I emailed my MPP (primarily to complain about how ridiculously difficult it is to get on OHIP when the province won't explicitly list the document requirements online for temporary foreign workers, but also mentioned this issue); that's probably the only way to put pressure on the province. I don't think contacting them will do any good at this point; they'll just respond with the boilerplate "processing times vary." If DIP stretches to more than 6 weeks, though, I might email again to see if maybe they need a prod....

I take it you're in a similar frustrated boat?
You are correct. Probably I will write to my MPP to put some pressure on those lazy buddies. It's almost 6 weeks in the DIP. I have never imagined that one day OINP could be as slow as a snail. So disappointed...

alphaparrot

Jul 17, 2022
Toronto, ON
Category........
PNP
Job Offer........
Yes
Just got my nomination letter! Total processing time: 191 days, start to finish.

Now I just have to figure out what it means that the letter says it's not valid for express entry and I have to apply for PR on paper....

Reactions: Miracle2018