+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OINP Masters Graduate stream EOI

EE2485

Aug 10, 2021
Hello,
Does OINP count work experience gained during the study period as experience in Canadian work experience under OINP Masters stream?
Hi did you figure out if part-time work experience on study permit would be counted as one-year Canada full-time work experience? does OINP count part-time experience on study permit?

MSKAurin

Aug 9, 2021
Hi did you figure out if part-time work experience on study permit would be counted as one-year Canada full-time work experience? does OINP count part-time experience on study permit?
I called OINP office and got confirmation on part-time work experience gained during study time. 2 years of part-time experience (15-30 hrs/week) is equivalent to 1 year of full-time work experience. Yes OINP counts work experience gained during study time.

EE2485

Aug 10, 2021
Oh is it? I feel so foolish. I didn't include my experience as a Teaching assistant while on study permit:(. It's worth 4 points. If I did, my score would've been 38, and I would've gotten an invite today. Today 326 invites were sent - cutoff was 37 - https://www.cicnews.com/2021/08/ontario-pnp-invites-326-masters-graduates-0819021.html#gs.9t0dl5
keep in mind that if have less than 2 year part-time teaching assistance ( 2 years part-time equals to 1 year full-time) you will have get 3 points not 4.

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
I meant if i were to include my TA experience while on study permit, then i will have total 1 yr FT Wk exp, which equals 4 points. II did TA work after graduating as well and recently got a FT job. I have updated my EOi and it gave me 4 points so 38 in all but dunno if they'll make any more draws.They have sent 801 invites in this stream in the last cpl of weeks. Last year 1250 ppl registered for this stream, so Idk. Fingers crossed!

co2020

May 31, 2020
I meant if i were to include my TA experience while on study permit, then i will have total 1 yr FT Wk exp, which equals 4 points. II did TA work after graduating as well and recently got a FT job. I have updated my EOi and it gave me 4 points so 38 in all but dunno if they'll make any more draws.They have sent 801 invites in this stream in the last cpl of weeks. Last year 1250 ppl registered for this stream, so Idk. Fingers crossed!
I just read your email. I called them directly and they gave the information.

I am in the pool also with 36. I will be completing one year Work Experience by September.
I did TA also but I have found it difficult for the school to provide a letter of employment for me and considering we have only 14 days to submit all documents after nomination. I decided to use a previous employment plus the one I am doing right now because they easily provide a verification of employment.

There is nothing to be worried about. First draw was 479 but 77 was PHD and 402 Masters. So 402+326= 728.
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/08/ontario-pnp-invites-326-masters-graduates-0819021.html?_ga=2.164443385.799965287.1629984197-1819262694.1612263664#gs.9ur2m2

So there should be at least one more draw if not two but it will be done in the month of September and that would be the end for the year.

Update your file and wait.

mena1985

Dec 26, 2019
Hi, can I include work experience for a job I worked in for less than 6 months? When I selected the NOC in the occupation field and less than 6 months for experience, I got extra 3 points for the NOC but no points for the experience and not sure if I can leave it like that or I should remove the occupation as well considering that I worked less than 6 months.

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
I just read your email. I called them directly and they gave the information.

I am in the pool also with 36. I will be completing one year Work Experience by September.
I did TA also but I have found it difficult for the school to provide a letter of employment for me and considering we have only 14 days to submit all documents after nomination. I decided to use a previous employment plus the one I am doing right now because they easily provide a verification of employment.

There is nothing to be worried about. First draw was 479 but 77 was PHD and 402 Masters. So 402+326= 728.
https://www.cicnews.com/2021/08/ontario-pnp-invites-326-masters-graduates-0819021.html?_ga=2.164443385.799965287.1629984197-1819262694.1612263664#gs.9ur2m2

So there should be at least one more draw if not two but it will be done in the month of September and that would be the end for the year.

Update your file and wait.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes universities aren't good at proving wrk experience reference letter, so as a backup I was hoping to use the record of employment from the Service Canada website. I think that should be pretty legit since it's a govt document, and it gives the number of hours worked (not each day but like 240 hours for the 4 mth semester). I'll try to speak to OINP abt it, and update you. Yeah my hope is that they do another draw soon enough bc my degree is dated 9/24/2019 so we'll see, fingers crossed! good luck to you as well

co2020

May 31, 2020
Hi, can I include work experience for a job I worked in for less than 6 months? When I selected the NOC in the occupation field and less than 6 months for experience, I got extra 3 points for the NOC but no points for the experience and not sure if I can leave it like that or I should remove the occupation as well considering that I worked less than 6 months.
No. do not delete it. Every point is on its own. They are not linked.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes universities aren't good at proving wrk experience reference letter, so as a backup I was hoping to use the record of employment from the Service Canada website. I think that should be pretty legit since it's a govt document, and it gives the number of hours worked (not each day but like 240 hours for the 4 mth semester). I'll try to speak to OINP abt it, and update you. Yeah my hope is that they do another draw soon enough bc my degree is dated 9/24/2019 so we'll see, fingers crossed! good luck to you as well
Yes that is true. I don't know why they make it so tedious.

I asked them if I could use my ROE from service Canada and my offer letter. They said, if all means to get the letter has failed, I can attach every proof of the employment and include an explanation letter also. But one thing which was mentioned that made me uncomfortable was when I was told that attaching what one has does not guarantee it would be acknowledged, because the final decision would be on the visa officer. Hence my hesitation.

I have, however, contacted my school again and they have promised to look into writing the letter.
I have also updated my portal to include my work experience today, because the next draw might be the last for the year.

Reactions: progrey

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
No. do not delete it. Every point is on its own. They are not linked.

Yes that is true. I don't know why they make it so tedious.

I asked them if I could use my ROE from service Canada and my offer letter. They said, if all means to get the letter has failed, I can attach every proof of the employment and include an explanation letter also. But one thing which was mentioned that made me uncomfortable was when I was told that attaching what one has does not guarantee it would be acknowledged, because the final decision would be on the visa officer. Hence my hesitation.

I have, however, contacted my school again and they have promised to look into writing the letter.
I have also updated my portal to include my work experience today, because the next draw might be the last for the year.
Thanks for the update. I think I'll be able to get the reference letter from the University-good thing you clarified with them on the phone. Any chance you know whether part time work experience of less than 15 hours a week is ok for this purpose. As a Grad Teaching Assistant, I worked 10 hours a week, so 3 months of that is equivalent to 1 month of full time experience.

Another question, I submitted my EoI on August 10th and updated the work experience yesterday on 8/25. I worked with the university until mid July and switched to a FT job in July 3rd week. In my work experience ltr from the new employer - should i ask for number of hours worked (its 40 but 30 for this purpose) as of 8/25 or 8/10. When I updated my profile yesterday for work experience points - I e-signed that all the info provided was true as of August 25 - so am thinking the reference letter could be as of 8/25? I know am getting into the weeds but don't want to have my EoI rejected later especially bc am borderline 1 yr experience

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Minimum number of hours worked per week

While Federal govt is ok with any number of hours worked per week as long as it adds up to 1560 hours over a period of at least 52 weeks, Ontario seems to have a different interpretation. They consider less than 15 hr per week ineligible. OINP just replied to my email saying this.
"Full-time work equivalent means:
  • No fewer than 30 hours of paid work per week; or
  • Concurrent employment in multiple positions for no fewer than 30 hours per week; or
  • 15 hours to 30 hours (part-time) is equivalent to half the period for full-time work (i.e. 2 months of part-time work experience is equal to 1 month of full-time work experience)
This means that individuals may work in more than one job for at least 30 hours per week, for one year, that amounts to at least 1,560 hours of paid work in a one year period. However if individuals are working in one job only for less than 15 hours per week, this is ineligible as it is not considered part-time work."

co2020

May 31, 2020
Minimum number of hours worked per week

While Federal govt is ok with any number of hours worked per week as long as it adds up to 1560 hours over a period of at least 52 weeks, Ontario seems to have a different interpretation. They consider less than 15 hr per week ineligible. OINP just replied to my email saying this.
"Full-time work equivalent means:
  • No fewer than 30 hours of paid work per week; or
  • Concurrent employment in multiple positions for no fewer than 30 hours per week; or
  • 15 hours to 30 hours (part-time) is equivalent to half the period for full-time work (i.e. 2 months of part-time work experience is equal to 1 month of full-time work experience)
This means that individuals may work in more than one job for at least 30 hours per week, for one year, that amounts to at least 1,560 hours of paid work in a one year period. However if individuals are working in one job only for less than 15 hours per week, this is ineligible as it is not considered part-time work."
Thanks for the update. I think I'll be able to get the reference letter from the University-good thing you clarified with them on the phone. Any chance you know whether part time work experience of less than 15 hours a week is ok for this purpose. As a Grad Teaching Assistant, I worked 10 hours a week, so 3 months of that is equivalent to 1 month of full time experience.

Another question, I submitted my EoI on August 10th and updated the work experience yesterday on 8/25. I worked with the university until mid July and switched to a FT job in July 3rd week. In my work experience ltr from the new employer - should i ask for number of hours worked (its 40 but 30 for this purpose) as of 8/25 or 8/10. When I updated my profile yesterday for work experience points - I e-signed that all the info provided was true as of August 25 - so am thinking the reference letter could be as of 8/25? I know am getting into the weeds but don't want to have my EoI rejected later especially bc am borderline 1 yr experience
Are you sure you worked 10hrs
Did you included your marking hours and course preparation? And office hrs also

Naseer_k

Jan 1, 2019
Hi,
I have a question similar to what has been discussed here. My question is:
1. From the university whom did you requested for a reference letter (for working as a TA/GA), Should it be requested from HR or any other department? Secondly, what specific things to be listed into that or if there is a template, kindly share?
2. So, the work experience should be consecutive or can have gaps? For example, if you are not GA'ing in a particular term and then resume from next term?
3. If it is <10 hours a week (GA/TA), will it be worth it to add?

Thanks

progrey

Star Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi,
I have a question similar to what has been discussed here. My question is:
1. From the university whom did you requested for a reference letter (for working as a TA/GA), Should it be requested from HR or any other department? Secondly, what specific things to be listed into that or if there is a template, kindly share?
2. So, the work experience should be consecutive or can have gaps? For example, if you are not GA'ing in a particular term and then resume from next term?
3. If it is <10 hours a week (GA/TA), will it be worth it to add?

Thanks
I can tell you that less than 15 hrs of work per week is considered ineligible by OINP- I emailed them and found out about it. Gaps are fine though

Reactions: Naseer_k