Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
I'm sure this was discussed months ago, but can anyone confirm that those of us with an October 2019 application do NOT have to give Biometrics (for PR) , even with a December 2019 AOR? Thanks!

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
I'm sure this was discussed months ago, but can anyone confirm that those of us with an October 2019 application do NOT have to give Biometrics (for PR) , even with a December 2019 AOR? Thanks!
Correct. The PA does not have to give biometrics if the application was received by IRCC before December 3, when the exemption was removed.. If ever they are asked for fingerprints, it will probably be related to background check to be done by RCMP.

"Starting December 3, 2019, foreign nationals applying from within Canada to extend or renew their visitor visa, work permit or study permit or applying for temporary or permanent residence must provide biometrics."

Note: there is a temporary exemption now, due to COVID-19. However, this does not apply to applicants who apply in Canada but are not eligible to inland processing (i.e. outland sponsorship in Canada).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2019-biometric-exemption-removed.html

Reactions: PrincessButtercup

PrincessButtercup

Oct 1, 2019
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-10-2019
AOR Received.
24-12-2019
Med's Request
07-28-2020
Med's Done....
08-05-2020
Interview........
N/A (COVID)
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
09-28-2020
Correct. The PA does not have to give biometrics if the application was received by IRCC before December 3, when the exemption was removed.. If ever they are asked for fingerprints, it will probably be related to background check to be done by RCMP.

"Starting December 3, 2019, foreign nationals applying from within Canada to extend or renew their visitor visa, work permit or study permit or applying for temporary or permanent residence must provide biometrics."

Note: there is a temporary exemption now, due to COVID-19. However, this does not apply to applicants who apply in Canada but are not eligible to inland processing (i.e. outland sponsorship in Canada).

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2019-biometric-exemption-removed.html
Thank you so much. This is what I had assumed, but just wanted to clarify!

RAMAN2633

Oct 6, 2016
Does anybody knows the full step by step process of our files. What does background include. And at what stage they determine that the relationship is genuine or not?

Laurahd

Jun 26, 2019
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
15-10-2019
AOR Received.
03-12-2019
Med's Done....
23-10-2019
Does anybody knows the full step by step process of our files. What does background include. And at what stage they determine that the relationship is genuine or not?
Unfortunately, there are no step by step process. Your medicals can be asked in the beginning while for others, the BGC starts straight away. It depends on the VO and the officer assessing your application. Also, if there are any red flags, it may take longer. If you reside in Québec and inland, chances are they will delay your file and start processing it almost a year after it was received, regardless of then the CSQ is received.

When it comes to BGC, they have to verify that you're not inad under s. 34, 35 and 37 (security) and 36 (criminality) of the IRPA. This is done by other agencies and not by IRCC. I think they send an ATI request and background check request to RCMP and CSIS. Once they get the information back, they will upload GCMS which is why you get a ghost update. When this is done, an officer needs to verify your eligibility by completing the inad assessment (non-compliance, misrepresentation). They will also check that you passed your medicals but this is done separately when you send them the test results. The same process is done for all dependents.

There is no LICO for spouses but you must satisfy the officer that you (the sponsor) can take care of your dependent without social assistance from the government, hence the 3-year undertaking. Normally, once the BGC is done, an officer will start reviewing your eligibility. That's when you see in GCKey that it changes to we start reviewing your eligibility. This is when they evaluate all the supporting documents you have provided and make sure that you are a member of the family class, that is the sponsor and the sponsored person meet all the requirements set in the Act and Regulations and that the relationship is genuine. Usually, if your case is straightforward and there are no red flags, as they review the entire application, if everything is fine, you'll get SA and AIP. Then, normally you need to attend an interview where an officer will ask you a few questions to confirm the relationship is genuine and that is considered your landing instead of flagpoling. That's when you get COPR. These days, the interview is either a phone call, email or nothing at all.

Note: an officer often reviews your application and makes recommendations, then a lead officer is the one who approves or denies. IRCC would preferably take their time to review the whole application thoroughly than making a mistake that will result in an appeal to IAD and another review of the application is approved. I'm not saying that they intentionally delay (except for Québec if we consider applications sent the same day to the same VO) but that they thoroughly check the entire application. If they don't, you can find out in your notes and you would have grounds to appeal for procedural fairness.

I don't work for IRCC but that seems to be what the process looks like... with a lot of waiting in between. Hope this helps.

PS If someone knows more or work for IRCC, feel free to share your knowledge. I'm still at the early stages (bgc haven't started) so I may have missed something.

Last edited:

RAMAN2633

Oct 6, 2016
Unfortunately, there are no step by step process. Your medicals can be asked in the beginning while for others, the BGC starts straight away. It depends on the VO and the officer assessing your application. Also, if there are any red flags, it may take longer. If you reside in Québec and inland, chances are they will delay your file and start processing it almost a year after it was received, regardless of then the CSQ is received.

When it comes to BGC, they have to verify that you're not inad under s. 34, 35 and 37 (security) and 36 (criminality). This is done by other agencies and not by IRCC. I think they send an ATI request and background check request to RCMP and CSIS. Once they get the information back, they will upload GCMS which is why you get a ghost update. When this is done, an officer needs to verify your eligibility by completing the inad assessment (non-compliance, misrepresentation). They will also check that you passed your medicals but this is done separately when you send them the test results. The same process is done for all dependents.

There is no LICO for spouses. So once all this is done, an officer will start reviewing your eligibility. That's when you see in GCKey that it changes to we start reviewing your eligibility. Usually, if your case is straightforward and there are no red flags, as they review the entire application, if everything is fine, you'll get SA and AIP. Then, normally you need to attend an interview where an officer will ask you a few questions to confirm the relationship is genuine and that is considered your landing instead of flagpolling. That's when you get COPR. These days, the interview is either a phone call, email or nothing at all.

Note: an officer often reviews your application and makes recommendations, then a lead officer is the one who approves or denies. IRCC would preferably take their time to review the whole application thoroughly than making a mistake that will result in an appeal to IAD and another review of the application is approved. I'm not saying that they intentionally delay (except for Québec if we consider applications sent the same day to the same VO) but that they thoroughly check the entire application. If they don't, you can find out in your notes and you would have grounds to appeal for procedural fairness.

I don't work for IRCC but that seems to be what the process looks like... we a lot of waiting in between. Hope this helps.

PS If someone knows more or work for IRCC, feel free to share your knowledge. I'm still at the early stages (bgc haven't started) so I may have missed something.
Thank you so much for this information

Reactions: Laurahd

Emmabel

Apr 22, 2017
My application just got refused that I'm not eligible bc I don't live with my husband.my husband moved to Toronto bc he got a job there but he has been visiting alqays.we have been married f 5years. They hv transfered my file to h and v department in Vancouver.does any one hv an idea if it will take the normal h and c route which is 31 months or they will still follow the normal spousal processing time

• Sad
Reactions: TriniKRN

KuroNeko26

Mar 12, 2018
California
My application just got refused that I'm not eligible bc I don't live with my husband.my husband moved to Toronto bc he got a job there but he has been visiting alqays.we have been married f 5years. They hv transfered my file to h and v department in Vancouver.does any one hv an idea if it will take the normal h and c route which is 31 months or they will still follow the normal spousal processing time
What's your timeline?

Emmabel

Apr 22, 2017
well they didn't specify that my application has been refused.they said they have transfered it to h and c office in Vancouver bc i do not meet eligibility but i made h and c submissions when i submitted the application