+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you convince them with employment letter and airline tickets? I am in a similar situation but I do not have travels with my old passport and I kept a copy of all its pages. It was unfortunately retained by my consulate and they provided a letter saying my old passport will be kept at the consulate and will not be returned to the applicant. I also have my sealed transcripts to prove I was in Canada during that period. Do you think that would be enough?

Hi All,

A few days ago I posted my concern about not having all the passports available for 3/5 years before meeting Citizenship officers. Today I did my test in Mississauga and I met the officer after test for a quick document verification.
So if anyone out there doesn't have all the passports available, you need to make sure that you have your employment letter and at least your airlines ticket(s), if you had travelled outside of Canada, for the period of missing passport(s) in order for officer to be able to verify your physical presence.

I wish y'all a good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
You can try to walk in? I am not sure, but I saw a guy walk in the office to claim refugee status while I waiting for interview. Bests.
@tameraq

I wouldn't suggest any walk-ins. Firstly they have cameras installed outside the office before they buzz you in. So they want to make sure you have an appointment already. They won't let you in otherwise! You understand this is a touchy situation right? They can call security on you.

@lukeqichen @btbt

Seeking asylum is by appointment too! You get your lawyers/presenter to book an appointment before hand and then you go in with your documents. If I'm not mistaking, the only place to just drop your asylum right there and then without any preparation is at the border.

Last edited:

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Seeking asylum is by appointment too! You get your lawyers/presenter to book an appointment before hand and then you go in with your documents. If I'm not mistaking, the only place to just drop your asylum right there and then without any preparation is at the border.
The hearing is by appointment, but the application is either at a point of entry or at any of the offices that are open for refugee claims, at any time during the designated opening hours. The list at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/canada-appointment-only.html indicates the hours during which a claim can be made.

Reactions: rezafc

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Hello again,
Please update @razerblade
It is a a FP request. The CIC agent said they EMAILED it yesterday! I checked my email and nothing is there. My husband received his request via snail mail last month.
Has anyone received the FP request via email?
Btw, we sent our applications in the same envelop, but they didn't sent us the requests on the same time. Isn't that strange and waste of time?!

Thanks

Hello there,

My ECAS has a 4th line now. My spouse got a FP request on February 9.
  • We sent you correspondence on March 7, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

Last edited:

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
The hearing is by appointment, but the application is either at a point of entry or at any of the offices that are open for refugee claims, at any time during the designated opening hours. The list at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/canada-appointment-only.html indicates the hours during which a claim can be made.
Good to know, thanks. You would think if anybody needs a refugee status they will do it at the point of entry. It's a bit strange that you can actually make it to a city, take your time and just drop in for the claim at a designated office.

dan403

Nov 28, 2017
Ontario
Mind asking when you did it? I did mine and I have decision made (from the same location as you) but no oath yet
I did my test on the 6th. My status changed to decision made just today but theres no oath letter or oath indication inside the decision made link yet. When did you take the test?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Good to know, thanks. You would think if anybody needs a refugee status they will do it at the point of entry. It's a bit strange that you can actually make it to a city, take your time and just drop in for the claim at a designated office.
I assume it's to accommodate people who were traumatized by their journey, so they can de-stress before having to deal with more bureaucracy. And I guess also for people whose home country went tits-up while they were here.

baktash13083

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
27-02-2013
AOR Received.
28-03-2013
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
14-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2014
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Did you convince them with employment letter and airline tickets? I am in a similar situation but I do not have travels with my old passport and I kept a copy of all its pages. It was unfortunately retained by my consulate and they provided a letter saying my old passport will be kept at the consulate and will not be returned to the applicant. I also have my sealed transcripts to prove I was in Canada during that period. Do you think that would be enough?
Yes, I gave them my employment letter which covers entire 5 years as well as I travelled once with the other passport and I gave them a print of my airline ticket. Copy of the old passport all pages works too because they asked me first about the copy of the old one. Basically officers have been dealing with cases like me and you a lot so they are very reasonable. You just need to make sure you can have every possible documents to support your physical presence.

Reactions: pepe84

baktash13083

Star Member
Oct 16, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
27-02-2013
AOR Received.
28-03-2013
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
14-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2014
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I'm in Toronto, IP since 21st Dec, no updates so far. I know it's slow, but didn't expect this slow... Is this normal for Toronto?
Toronto is very normal because I was IP since 11th of Dec and I did my test only yesterday.

alwayspositive

Aug 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo to Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
6/2011
Doc's Request.
7/2013
AOR Received.
8/2011
Med's Request
10/2013
Med's Done....
10/2013 In process: 1/2014 Additional Doc Request: 2/2014
Passport Req..
2/14
VISA ISSUED...
2/14
LANDED..........
5/2014 ( in Canada since 2009)
I passed my Exam on Feb 14 Montreal and still IP :-( Becoming angry
Many are still waiting for AOR so count your blessings and be positive. You are almost there

Reactions: Angy*

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
My guess is those who arrive by air may fear that authorities would not let them in if they claimed asylum immediately/or even send them home on the next outbound flight..and hence they appear in the offices a couple of days later, others might be unsure of their plans and need sometime to talk it over with people they know before deciding. Unlike the land border where those who cross illegally usually have no status in the US (could be an expired or single entry US tourist visa, or in some cases a refused refugee claim in the US) and that's why the border officers can't send them back once they cross to the Canadian side.

In my opinion - i think many refugees are actually "economic class immigrants in disguise" as they probably don't meet the criteria for Express entry/FSW ..but yet they want to immigrate to improve their economic conditions.

Last edited: