+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

October 11th 2017 - Citizenship Applicants under 3/5 rule

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Sorry for your loss. However, how does the death of a parent translate to urgent processing?
My Canada PR card was expired couple of months back. I can travel to my home country but while return i have to apply PRTD which might take 1 month or longer. I am in such a situation that I was unable to travel to my home country. I am working as a full time employee and can't get more than 3 weeks vacation. I don't think I get PRTD within 3 weeks.
Unfortunately, I did not renew my card and i am waiting for my Citizenship process to be complete. my status sitting in IP since Dec 05 and no updates after that.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
My Canada PR card was expired couple of months back. I can travel to my home country but while return i have to apply PRTD which might take 1 month or longer. I am in such a situation that I was unable to travel to my home country. I am working as a full time employee and can't get more than 3 weeks vacation. I don't think I get PRTD within 3 weeks.
Unfortunately, I did not renew my card and i am waiting for my Citizenship process to be complete. my status sitting in IP since Dec 05 and no updates after that.
My timeline is similar to yours, but my PR card still has about 9 months left. I will probably send a renewal application soon just to avoid such a situation...

Reactions: JamesBond007

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
It can be if the death of a parent is in a country where your current passport doesn't allow you to travel.
I need to sort out few thing in my home country. i want to go for 3 to 4 weeks.
option 1. pause my citizenship process for at least 2 months. (i have to apply for PRTD in my home country and return back. not sure how long it take)
option 2 . urgent processing of my Canadian Citizenship.

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You might be able to get urgent processing on your PR card. Certainly the PRTD is a gamble, but some countries actually turn them around in a couple of weeks.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Looks like i can't apply for urgent processing.
You can make a request. Doing so is not complicated.

You are probably correct, that it is NOT likely IRCC will urgently process your application for your situation. But IRCC has wide discretion to provide expedited processing and in particular it is not limited to doing so only for applicants who meet the published criteria. It may depend in part on the particular things you "need to sort out." In the request you can include a cover letter or narrative statement (attach as a separate document) more clearly explaining the situation, that your PR card is expired, what you need to sort out, and such, and also attach some documents which support this.

Depending on what stage of processing your application is at, the request for urgent processing could trigger IRCC to take action sooner even if urgent processing itself is not explicitly granted.

Alternatively (or concurrently) you can make an application for a new PR card and ask that it be processed urgently. You will need to purchase the tickets for the trip, and include copy with application, so make sure to purchase refundable tickets or at least some which can be changed without too much additional cost.

Reactions: rezafc

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You can make a request. Doing so is not complicated.

You are probably correct, that it is NOT likely IRCC will urgently process your application for your situation. But IRCC has wide discretion to provide expedited processing and in particular it is not limited to doing so only for applicants who meet the published criteria. It may depend in part on the particular things you "need to sort out." In the request you can include a cover letter or narrative statement (attach as a separate document) more clearly explaining the situation, that your PR card is expired, what you need to sort out, and such, and also attach some documents which support this.

Depending on what stage of processing your application is at, the request for urgent processing could trigger IRCC to take action sooner even if urgent processing itself is not explicitly granted.

Alternatively (or concurrently) you can make an application for a new PR card and ask that it be processed urgently. You will need to purchase the tickets for the trip, and include copy with application, so make sure to purchase refundable tickets or at least some which can be changed without too much additional cost.
Completely agree. There was a forum member that appeared to have gotten urgent consideration because he stated he didn't want to go through the hassle of obtaining a visa for an upcoming trip. However, that assertion was made at the interview after the test, so his processing was already well underway. Since you haven't even had a test invite yet, I'm not sure that it could be of any benefit to you if they did process it urgently. Perhaps you'd need to travel sooner anyways.

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
You both are right. I don't want to go with visa process again just for one trip. What happens if i give a try ? does it affect my application ? do i need to call or submit a web form. i know i do not have a valid point.
I think i should find a valid reason to travel sooner to my home country.

Last edited:

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
My ecase status changed to decision made. I just wanna know if decisions made means "approved" ? I did not received any emails or an additional detail line in my e case?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You both are right. I don't want to go with visa process again just for one trip. What happens if i give a try ? does it affect my application ? do i need to call or submit a web form. i know i do not have a valid point.
It won't negatively affect you to make the request. Use the webform and send any documentation you think helps you.

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
I agree with all the responses made to your query, just a small add-on, since I went through it;

Once you file in your Urgent processing there is no way to find out if they have agreed with your request or not. Especially if you request it mid-way. So the best way to make sure is to give it a week and follow up with your local MP. They will get back to you in couple of days and confirm that your request has been received and that there is a note on your file. Again they wouldn't let you know of the outcome but at least you know they have read through your request. Regardless of the outcome, on the day of your test follow up with your officer/interviewer, she/he is the very officer responsible for your application. She/he will allocate the earliest Oath date for you, usually falls around two/three weeks after the test.

I requested an urgent processing after three months from my IP, and I had solid excuses, my passport was running out and I had to travel for work. And I think you have a good excuse too. So I really think they will expedite the processing for you. Just remember even if they agree with the urgent process you're looking into at least another 4 to 6 weeks before you take your Oath and another two weeks for your Canadian passport unless you have your ticket in your hands and you're days away from your flight.

Best of luck mate,

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
I agree with all the responses made to your query, just a small add-on, since I went through it;

Once you file in your Urgent processing there is no way to find out if they have agreed with your request or not. Especially if you request it mid-way. So the best way to make sure is to give it a week and follow up with your local MP. They will get back to you in couple of days and confirm that your request has been received and that there is a note on your file. Again they wouldn't let you know of the outcome but at least you know they have read through your request. Regardless of the outcome, on the day of your test follow up with your officer/interviewer, she/he is the very officer responsible for your application. She/he will allocate the earliest Oath date for you, usually falls around two/three weeks after the test.

I requested an urgent processing after three months from my IP, and I had solid excuses, my passport was running out and I had to travel for work. And I think you have a good excuse too. So I really think they will expedite the processing for you. Just remember even if they agree with the urgent process you're looking into at least another 4 to 6 weeks before you take your Oath and another two weeks for your Canadian passport unless you have your ticket in your hands and you're days away from your flight.

Best of luck mate,
Thanks all. The only question arises is that why i don't apply for urgent PR card renew and in the mean while my citizenship process will be resume until i come back to Canada. Anyway i am a full time employee and can't stay more than a month in home country. IRCC can easily resume my process for 1 or 2 months.
I will give a shot and see what happens. anyway its 7 months since i submitted my application.

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
anyone can answer my question please?

My ecase status changed to decision made. I just wanna know if decisions made means "approved" ? I did not received any emails or an additional detail line in my e case?

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Thanks all. The only question arises is that why i don't apply for urgent PR card renew and in the mean while my citizenship process will be resume until i come back to Canada. Anyway i am a full time employee and can't stay more than a month in home country. IRCC can easily resume my process for 1 or 2 months.
I will give a shot and see what happens. anyway its 7 months since i submitted my application.
Hey I completely forgot to mention this, cause I'm at work and write these in chunks and lose grip. So if possible give them your dates for your travels. They will act accordingly in regards to your dates. I remember after I asked for the urgent processing (and I gave them my travel schedule), they deliberately scheduled my test on a later date as I wasn't in the country to take the test sooner. I was supposed to get my test on the last week of March but they gave it to me on April 5th, almost a week after my trip, so I can have a buffer time.

So they definitely look into your request, expedite it or not, it's their decision, but for sure give them your dates.