+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
I am applying for my OCI in the coming days (surrender cert is on its way back to me). I had a couple of questions:

1. How much is the return courier fees that I need to add to the money draft for Where do you pay for the return courier fees?
2. Do we need to submit our original Canadian Passport with the OCI application?

ajtoronto

Star Member
Sep 23, 2016
Toronto
I am applying for my OCI in the coming days (surrender cert is on its way back to me). I had a couple of questions:

1. How much is the return courier fees that I need to add to the money draft for Where do you pay for the return courier fees?
2. Do we need to submit our original Canadian Passport with the OCI application?
Looks like we HAVE to submit the original Canadian passport as well.

For those who have done this, how long does it take to get the passport back? I ask because I travel extensively for work and this can cause issues for me in the coming months.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just spoke with another agent at BLS who said that there is no tracking # provided to the applicants for returned applications, if we want a tracking number we need to request it and they will create a service request for the same. She took the request today and said I will receive an email in 24-48 hrs with the tracking #. SMH

• Angry
Reactions: indigonation5

canada_help

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Hi All - What's the email address of Brampton BLS center? I remember they have written it on each of the counters but I don't recollect exactly what the email was. If someone knows, please advise. Thanks!

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
I received my OCI today. Here are the dates if it might help.

Posted application - January 12
BLS acknowledgement - January 18
CGI acknowledgement - January 22
OCI website acknowledgement - February 9
OCI processed/ mailed to Toronto - March 3
OCI received at BLS - March 4
OCI received - March 8
Did you have to submit original Canadian passport and did they keep it for the entire 3 months?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hi All - What's the email address of Brampton BLS center? I remember they have written it on each of the counters but I don't recollect exactly what the email was. If someone knows, please advise. Thanks!
If you are referring to the email where you can mail documents and photos for printing, then it is bls.brampton40@gmail.com

That's also the one that is displayed on all the counters.

to_munda

Feb 13, 2022
Surrender Certificate (Walk-In - Brampton): 21-Jan
Status on Passport Seva updated to "granted": 28-Jan
Status on Passport Seva updated to "printed": 24-Feb
Status on BLS all this while "Processing at Consulate General"
Status on BLS updated to "Ready for dispatch": 4-Mar
Status on BLS updated to "Dispatched": 4-Mar
Delivered: 7-Mar
So 6 weeks for me!

They did not include my street number and street name in the courier address. Just entered unit number of the condo, city and postal code! I had to chase Purolator to get it corrected! Anyways, I noticed it while it was in transit, got it corrected and received it without major fuss so happy for that.
I sent in the app same day.
The only difference- I couriered it thinking it would be faster!
But naaahh, ,,, still waiting :(

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just spoke with another agent at BLS who said that there is no tracking # provided to the applicants for returned applications, if we want a tracking number we need to request it and they will create a service request for the same. She took the request today and said I will receive an email in 24-48 hrs with the tracking #. SMH
Hi guys, worse case scenario if they dont provide a tracking # and the package is returned because nobody was at home to sign and collect - What are the options?

Does the application get sent back to Brampton and can we collect it from there directly by walk in?!

Thanks

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Too much hassle. Avoid it. You'll have to apply for Canadian passport in India (easy). Then apply for Indian passport cancellation (can be done but could be hassle), get a tourist visa (I think can be done but again hassle). I don't know if you can apply for work visa. I know for sure that one cannot apply for OCI on tourist visa.

I'll share my (actually my wife's) timeline below:

- Oath: Jan 18
- Citizenship certificate received: Jan 26
- Applied for Canadian passport: Jan 28
- Canadian passport receipt: Feb 1
- Application for visa+surrender+OCI: Feb 1
- Received visa: Feb 6
- Received surrender: Feb 17
- Received OCI: Mar 3

We travelled to India on visa on Feb 23. My friend will carry the OCI to India. I plan to call FRRO and ask them to change the status from 'visa' to 'OCI'. Let's see if it can be cone, will apprise all!
Hello How did you apply for Visa, Surrender and OCI at the same time? Did you applied in 2022?
If I am not mistaken for tourist visa you need to send your original Canadian passport for stamping right? And if I am not mistaken for OCI also they required Canadian passport.
I Applied for mY surrender Certificate on Feb 17th 2022 and on Passport Seva portal it shows "Granted ready for Issuance". Now I need to travel to India in mid May and I am not sure should I go for OCI option (wait to get surrender certificate and then apply) Or find some other way

indigonation5

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
this is downright OUTRAGEOUS! i mean, on one side they charge these EXORBITANT courier fees and in return they dont even give proper service! tracking# is the LEAST of what you get when choosing courier service. even that they dont provide you and being a whole hassle to know about it is really disappointing :(

• Sad
Reactions: royce110

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this is downright OUTRAGEOUS! i mean, on one side they charge these EXORBITANT courier fees and in return they dont even give proper service! tracking# is the LEAST of what you get when choosing courier service. even that they dont provide you and being a whole hassle to know about it is really disappointing :(
I know I am at a loss of words, by far the worst experience in the whole journey!!