+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Can anyone advise if I can go with Entry visa and while coming back can enter Canada using OCI? As OCI will be under processing during my trip. Entry visa is only for 6months and I am preparing for longer stay due to covid situations. Please advise.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Can anyone advise if I can go with Entry visa and while coming back can enter Canada using OCI? As OCI will be under processing during my trip. Entry visa is only for 6months and I am preparing for longer stay due to covid situations. Please advise.
You can go to your nearest FRRO to extend your visa. That would be the correct approach than entering and exiting India using different documents.

Reactions: Ryn_20

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Guys - quick question while filling up part B of OCI fresh application . Could someone please help?

1. Is the old/surrendered indian passport number is same as "Renunciated Passport No."?
2. under Nationality details - which option to choose for "Acquisition Method" of canadian citizenship. like everyone else I got my PR and after due eligibility I got my Canada citizenship. So should I choose "REGISTRATION" or "NATURALIZATION".

please help.

thanks,
1. Yes
2. It is Naturalization

Reactions: annapatram

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Canada wouldn't check if you have Indian visa/OCI when you enter Canada. Indian authorities may not let you get out on OCI if you entered India on a visa.

If you enter on a visa and want to extend you stay, you have two options: a.) Go to FRRO and extend the visa validity or b.) Go to a neighboring country such as Malaysia/UAE for a few days, exit India on visa and return on OCI. You may be able to change your status from visa to OCI when you deal with FRRO, need to confirm. @rajkamalmohanram may know!!

Of course for option b. you will have to get someone in Canada receive the OCI and ship it to you in India.

Reactions: Ryn_20

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Canada wouldn't check if you have Indian visa/OCI when you enter Canada. Indian authorities may not let you get out on OCI if you entered India on a visa.

If you enter on a visa and want to extend you stay, you have two options: a.) Go to FRRO and extend the visa validity or b.) Go to a neighboring country such as Malaysia/UAE for a few days, exit India on visa and return on OCI. You may be able to change your status from visa to OCI when you deal with FRRO, need to confirm. @rajkamalmohanram may know!!

Of course for option b. you will have to get someone in Canada receive the OCI and ship it to you in India.
What does OCI have to do with entry into Canada? As long as you have a Canadian passport, you can enter Canada. Canada doesn't care if you have OCI or a visitor visa to India.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
This is too much. When they made surrender and OCI separate I would expect less processing time. It must be one month. This is insane. We need to submit twice and also wait for two months. So altogether 3months for one fricking process. Very very frustrating.
I guess they trying to remind Indian “ Paper procedures“ one last time to all of us before they give us that damn OCI.

I don’t know maybe we should seek a broker & grease the palms of consulate general & co. to see some movement on the file.

Reactions: Ryn_20 and alexross

Here

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
Applied OCi for my daughter. Status enquiry is showing date of acknowledgement on 12/20/2021 and bls tracking is showing processing at consulate. How long does it take to get OCI.

Nov 2, 2020
Applied OCi for my daughter. Status enquiry is showing date of acknowledgement on 12/20/2021 and bls tracking is showing processing at consulate. How long does it take to get OCI.
Hello Here,

For Toronto region, it is usually 3weeks though in some casses it might take 4 -5 weeks from date of acknowdgement. .

jansh

Star Member
Feb 16, 2021
For surrender certificate if we apply through mail to BLS how about the courier charges? Should be included in the DD? Or need to take a separate DD?
I believe yes. Based on info here: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

Kindly Provide Postal order only in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc., Which includes Renunciation fee/surrender fee + consular fee + BLS Service charges + Return courier fees, to send back your processed application.
On selecting the courier service: The courier service fee (taxes included) would need to be added along with the above fee chart total. In case applying via postal the courier service fee applicant will need to be added into the same Bank draft or Money order amount
However, I'm not sure what exactly are the courier charges when applying by post only (so both send & receive by post)?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
I guess they trying to remind Indian “ Paper procedures“ one last time to all of us before they give us that damn OCI.

I don’t know maybe we should seek a broker & grease the palms of consulate general & co. to see some movement on the file.
They made changes only for their convenience. Two months process for oci and surrender split in to two with extra one more month of processing. One month for surrender and 2months for oci. Isn't it ridiculous.

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
What does OCI have to do with entry into Canada? As long as you have a Canadian passport, you can enter Canada. Canada doesn't care if you have OCI or a visitor visa to India.
Let me rephrase it. Situation is Entering India on entry visa and coming back to Canada on OCI. Will Indian authorities let it happen or question in anyway?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
My OCI status shows processing at Consulate. At what stage should I check Status Enquiry on ociservices page? Right now status enquiry shows nothing. Please advise

tm.bilal

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
I submitted my wife's surrender application on Nov 26th, its past 5 weeks now, still the process shows "processing", do I need to wait till 8 weeks to complete or can I reach out to CGI ? is it a normal wait time ?