+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

kaminenis

Star Member
Sep 6, 2013
Today I have submitted my OCI by appointment( bls Toronto). I have booked appointment today morning. Appointments are available between 8:15 to 8:45. But appointments are available under passport for bls Toronto, under visa for bls Brampton. I have booked passport appointment.
They didn’t check what appointments I came for just verifying only date and time. And security guy don’t have today booking info in his list.

farazh89

Star Member
Sep 10, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello I am applying OCI card for my 2 months old daughter born here in Ontario.

Parents are Canadian PR's with Indian passport/citizenship.

I have a question regarding the birth certificate. On this website https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-application/ its mentioned:

Please enclose the Birth Certificate issued by the Government authority having name of both the parent of the child.

If birth certificate is issued by Canadian government, it is required to be attested by Ministry of Consumer Affairs/government services (222 Jarvis Street, Toronto) and thereafter from the Consulate of India, Toronto.

In case the Birth Certificate is issued by any other foreign Country than Canada, then the Birth Certificate is required to be attested by the High Commission / Embassy / Consulate of that Country in Canada.
I am a bit confused, do we have to send the original birth certificate and get it attested as well ? Can someone please confirm?

csvinayak

Star Member
Jul 9, 2010
Submitted surrender pp today at BLS Toronto, i had taken an appointment a month back.

So i had 2 applications wife and mine. My application had a mistake, so i quickly used my phone and corrected my application and sent to BLS email id to print the application, the lady at the counter was cooperative, else i would have to leave with just 1 submitted application. Thank God!!! Initially She said i cannot accept your application, you would have to leave take another appointment and come back(phew) anyways.

My time lines and how i planned out for surrender

1.Citizenship oath 27 Nov
2.Took appointment for Canadian pp 2 weeks from that Date Dec 13 applied Canadian passport
3. On Nov 27 took appointment for surrender ( Dec31) and OCI (Jan 26)
4. Hopefully will be able to do my Oci

Reactions: canvisa13

sknk89

Star Member
Jan 22, 2018
Mississauga
Category........
CEC
Happy New Year Everyone!!

Is there any thread that explains step by step process to apply for both surrender certificate and OCI with BLS? Thank you :)

masterofpupp

Dec 20, 2016
Congratulations to you guys !! Can I please ask you something. I am opting for Pick up/drop off service as well. I understand we have to send 2 separate drafts but my confusion is how much should be the draft addressed to BLS for? Website says BLS processing fee $7.4 plus courier fee but courier fee we are asked to pay upfront when choosing pick up date online. Does that mean draft for BLS will only be for $7.40 and we include the receipt for courier fee paid online?
This is the only thing that’s stopping me to send my application, I will highly appreciate if you can answer this for me.
The return courier fee only has to be included in the draft if you choose to mail the OCI application yourself (i.e using a different postal service like Canada Post or UPS)

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Happy New Year Everyone!!

Is there any thread that explains step by step process to apply for both surrender certificate and OCI with BLS? Thank you :)
Process is changed mid Nov. No longer they accept both surrender and OCI together (at least at Toronto/Brampton)

sachinsoman1988

Oct 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
IELTS Request
None
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
24-01-2016
Passport Req..
11-07-2016
VISA ISSUED...
15-07-2016
LANDED..........
26-09-2016
When applying for OCI, I am choosing to apply via postal option. Do we have to mail in the original citizenship certificate and passport with the application?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
I submitted OCI today. Agent took money for two courier charges. The original they took was only surrender certificate. Can anyone confirm if they send surrender certificate first and another courier for OCI??

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Is there any excel for tracking OCI processing time. I have flight feb last week will it take longer than 6 weeks for walkin ?

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Hello I am applying OCI card for my 2 months old daughter born here in Ontario.

Parents are Canadian PR's with Indian passport/citizenship.

I have a question regarding the birth certificate. On this website https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-application/ its mentioned:

I am a bit confused, do we have to send the original birth certificate and get it attested as well ? Can someone please confirm?
Please call BLS. Those guys know the rules best. My both the kids were born in Canada. When I submitted application for them (in 2016 and 2019), BLS didn't ask for any attestation.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
And also according to modified new OCI checklist, 'Do we need to submit original citizenship certificate and also the original Canadian passport?'. I remember the old checklist where they just verify at BLS and give them back to candidate.

It looks like we have to submit these original documents to embassy. A bit scary actually sending all the original documents.

So we have to submit

1) Original cancelled Indian passport
2) Original Canada citizenship certificate
3) Original Canada Passport

So, if we submit all three then what originals we have?, in case if they lost our documents? I don't understand why the embassy need originals? Can't they just verify at BLS and give them back to Candidate? This doesn't make sense. They are making process hard instead of making it simple ... oh god.
I'm worried about the same thing. Under the new checklist, we need to submit the originals you mentioned above. So I'm unsure if they will be sent back just after verification or together with the OCI. If they are sent back differently, we would need to spend more on courier charges and risk these original documents getting lost.

I wonder what needs to be submitted for the professional details letter...especially as a student.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
Today I have submitted my OCI by appointment( bls Toronto). I have booked appointment today morning. Appointments are available between 8:15 to 8:45. But appointments are available under passport for bls Toronto, under visa for bls Brampton. I have booked passport appointment.
They didn’t check what appointments I came for just verifying only date and time. And security guy don’t have today booking info in his list.
Were you required to submit your original canadian passport, cancelled indian passport citizenship certificate and professional details letter as the new the checklist?

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
I'm worried about the same thing. Under the new checklist, we need to submit the originals you mentioned above. So I'm unsure if they will be sent back just after verification or together with the OCI. If they are sent back differently, we would need to spend more on courier charges and risk these original documents getting lost.

I wonder what needs to be submitted for the professional details letter...especially as a student.
I was at BLS Toronto today morning just to check about it. They said they will return them back after verification. Let's hope that is the case.