+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Let me rephrase it. Situation is Entering India on entry visa and coming back to Canada on OCI. Will Indian authorities let it happen or question in anyway?
Entering India with visa and exiting with OCI shouldn't be an issue AFAIK. They will check the passport for the visa and if they see the visa, they won't ask anything further. You can show your OCI if you are asked.

Last edited:

UrbanNomad

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
need help with 2 queries:

1. i applied for surrender certificate via walk-in at BLS Brampton on 23Dec. I am unable to track the status right now on the passport seva link. Keep getting an error to input the correct file number (i am using the one from the application form which is the same on the receipt 21-200438XXXX). Is there another number i should be using for the file number instead?

2. I have travel planned for the 4th of March. Clearly i wont be able to get my OCI in time now that OCI can only be submitted after the surrender certificate is received. Should i apply for Tourist visa (cheaper)or Entry permit (more $$)? Anyone knows the timelines for each?

tm.bilal

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020

1. i applied for surrender certificate via walk-in at BLS Brampton on 23Dec. I am unable to track the status right now on the passport seva link. Keep getting an error to input the correct file number (i am using the one from the application form which is the same on the receipt 21-200438XXXX). Is there another number i should be using for the file number instead?

2. I have travel planned for the 4th of March. Clearly i wont be able to get my OCI in time now that OCI can only be submitted after the surrender certificate is received. Should i apply for Tourist visa (cheaper)or Entry permit (more $$)? Anyone knows the timelines for each?
For #1, login to the portal and you should see the status. Using Track Status link it doesn't work.

Reactions: UrbanNomad

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015

1. You have to login to your Passport seva account before you can check the status. Clicking on "Check status" on the homepage and entering the reference number won't work.

2. There is a decent chance you'll be able to get your OCI done before March 4th IMO. You need surrender certificate for visas as well AFAIK. Try asking BLS if they will accept the receipt of surrender application as proof and accept your OCI application now.

con2015jan

Oct 14, 2014
Question related to Mail-In application for surrendering Indian Passport -
1. Has any one tried mail in application for surrendering Indian Passport ? I'm sending from Ottawa to the Ottawa BLS center , and BLS provided pick up and drop via purolator costs 83 CAD . Its rip-off. Are we supposed to use any other provider such as Canada Post for sending the documents , and return back via a pre-paid envelope which will be included in the application ?
2. How safe is sending Original Indian passport and Canadian citizenship certificate via post ? Anyone had any bad experiences ?

These guys are testing us in each step of the application - :((

isvic06

Sep 12, 2017
Guys, need help regarding surrendering Indian passport and applying for OCI. I need to send application to BLS-Brampton to process.
Can we submit both the application together? I know for OCI they need the renunciation certificate, but can they do with the receipt of surrender certificate?
I am not walk-in.

isvic06

Sep 12, 2017
What are the documents we need to provide to surrender Indian passport? Is it true we need to submit original canadian passport or certificate?

UrbanNomad

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
For #1, login to the portal and you should see the status. Using Track Status link it doesn't work.
Thank you! was able to check status... "under review at Consulate"

1. You have to login to your Passport seva account before you can check the status. Clicking on "Check status" on the homepage and entering the reference number won't work.

2. There is a decent chance you'll be able to get your OCI done before March 4th IMO. You need surrender certificate for visas as well AFAIK. Try asking BLS if they will accept the receipt of surrender application as proof and accept your OCI application now.
Thank you!

For visa they were willing to accept the surrender certificate receipt (in fact he mentioned that if I had brought the visa application form, they would have accepted it together with the surrender certificate application). But for OCI, they are now insisting on the certificate itself... and I see that they are taking 6-8 weeks for OCI.. so maybe quite touch & go unfortunately.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you! was able to check status... "under review at Consulate"

Thank you!

For visa they were willing to accept the surrender certificate receipt (in fact he mentioned that if I had brought the visa application form, they would have accepted it together with the surrender certificate application). But for OCI, they are now insisting on the certificate itself... and I see that they are taking 6-8 weeks for OCI.. so maybe quite touch & go unfortunately.
Okay. That is really unfortunate. You can apply for a visa then, just in case you aren't able to get OCI on time.

jackbauer

Feb 15, 2017
Category........
Other
Question related to Mail-In application for surrendering Indian Passport -
1. Has any one tried mail in application for surrendering Indian Passport ? I'm sending from Ottawa to the Ottawa BLS center , and BLS provided pick up and drop via purolator costs 83 CAD . Its rip-off. Are we supposed to use any other provider such as Canada Post for sending the documents , and return back via a pre-paid envelope which will be included in the application ?
2. How safe is sending Original Indian passport and Canadian citizenship certificate via post ? Anyone had any bad experiences ?

These guys are testing us in each step of the application - :((
Not sure about 1) I mailed my application via purolator & that’s all they said they accepted.

2 No need to send original of citizenship cert., a copy with your signature should do.

Reactions: alexross