+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Here

Star Member
Apr 29, 2018
Hi
Can you please let me know how long it takes to get OCI card once you received the Acknowledgement slip for your application?
I submitted for my daughter and they sent back the original surrender passport, Canadian passport and citizenship certificate .
They also send the Acknowledgement slip after the application is processed at high commissioner - Ottawa
I am in the same boat. Toronto area.
My acknowledgement date is 12/20/2021 still waiting. No clue when it will come.

• Wow
Reactions: stalker

gsujith_k

Jan 22, 2012
Hi,

I have a weird issue. My son (6 years old) has an OCI and recently we renewed his Canadian passport. I am trying to get a new OCI with the new passport number on it.

After submitting all the details (Part - A and Part - B) in https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome. I am not able to print his application under 'Re-Print Submitted applications'.

When I click and enter the file no, DoB and passport number it says "It seems that the File Reference Number you are providing doesn't belong to you."

Has anyone faced this issue before?

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hi All - Are we allowed to walk-in early in the morning in Brampton or Toronto BLS center? I need to submit the passport surrender + entry visa application together.

I read on this thread that they open walk in appointment between 8:15 to 8:45 am daily so we can book for that day but I had no luck. I haven't seen any open slots popping up during this 8:15 to 8:45 am timeframe. Can I walk in? Please advise.
Hello there based on my experience at BLS Toronto they are not allowing anyone without an appointment. And yes it is true that they are opening up some slots around that time. I opened around 11:00 am I found two slots for 9am lol, which means they might had opened some slots or could be someone cancelled.

You can book any slot like Visa or Passport and keep checking if anyone cancelling.

Someone who went to Brampton might share their experience. Best of Luck! If this walk-in doesn't work go for Purolator option.

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hello
I have filled up online application for oci...but I did not find any column for surrender certificate related information??
There is none, You have Part A and Part B to fill. Agent will take your Surrender Certificate Original.

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Hi,

I have a weird issue. My son (6 years old) has an OCI and recently we renewed his Canadian passport. I am trying to get a new OCI with the new passport number on it.

After submitting all the details (Part - A and Part - B) in https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome. I am not able to print his application under 'Re-Print Submitted applications'.

When I click and enter the file no, DoB and passport number it says "It seems that the File Reference Number you are providing doesn't belong to you."

Has anyone faced this issue before?
Rules were changed recently in Sep 2021. You don't need a new OCI anymore. You just need to update your son's particulars (passport, photo and thumb print) on OCI website. No fee has to be paid. You'll receive an acknowledgement immediately and within 2-3 weeks confirmation of documents' acceptance. I did it for my son recently, very straight forward process. Cheers

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Rules were changed recently in Sep 2021. You don't need a new OCI anymore. You just need to update your son's particulars (passport, photo and thumb print) on OCI website. No fee has to be paid. You'll receive an acknowledgement immediately and within 2-3 weeks confirmation of documents' acceptance. I did it for my son recently, very straight forward process. Cheers
Do we need to submit the thumb print also? I thought just the latest photo and latest passport enough to update? Thanks

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
Guys...remember that the OCI and surrender rules have changed in the past 2 weeks....
You cannot submit OCI application and surrender application at the same time. You will have to wait for your surrender certificate to come in and then apply for OCI.

The weird part is that you also cannot apply for OCI for your child if minor and born in Canada until your surrender application is not completed. For eg. I lately became a Canadian and got my passport. I went to the BLS centre with my surrender application, OCI application and also my son's OCI application who is 4 months old, my wife is Indian. BLS refused to file OCI application for me AND my child as well. They said that we can only file OCI for yourself and your child when I receive my surrender acknowledgement.

So long story short; if you have taken your oath and have a new born with plans to travel to India, DO NOT apply for Canadian passport. Go to BLS with your and your spouse's Indian Passport and file for OCI for your child based on your Indian passport. Indian Passport can be used 3 months from the date of your oath btw.

Once your child's OCI is accepted, go ahead and apply for Canadian passport.
Apologies. Yes you guys are right. Without Canadian passport you would not be able to return to Canada.

But I guess you can cut down some time in processing while your child's OCI is in progress and then you can submit your surrender form. So probably your child's OCI and your surrender can kinda go in parallel.

Again, I am not sure if BLS checks the dates on these. Like if they check your oath date and check your child's OCI application date, they might just come to know that you tried to cut corners.

Last edited:

el02220

Star Member
Sep 3, 2019
Happy new year everyone. I have my OCI status updated on oci website as received by CGI on Jan 1st but on BLS it still shows processing at CGI. any idea how long will it take BLS to send it back.

VSw

Jul 18, 2014
Do we need to submit the thumb print also? I thought just the latest photo and latest passport enough to update? Thanks
Yes, you'll have to submit the thumb prints too. Its very easy process and you don't need to go any professional fingerprinting company for that. Just apply some ink on his thumb and get the print on a plain white paper in your home. Take a picture from your phone and you're good to go.

Reactions: canvisa13

stalker

Sep 20, 2015
Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01/10/2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
02/10/2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
03/03/2017
VISA ISSUED...
March 2017
LANDED..........
July 2017
Happy new year everyone. I have my OCI status updated on oci website as received by CGI on Jan 1st but on BLS it still shows processing at CGI. any idea how long will it take BLS to send it back.
What is received by CGI status?

shafeeq87

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Hi

May I know your OCI acknowledgment. Mine is Dec23 and waiting for new update. Have to travel india on Feb 01.