+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Since OCI and surrender certificate became separate submissions anyone seen difference in processing time? Anyone applied separately please let me know your timeline for OCI

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
I was at BLS Toronto today morning just to check about it. They said they will return them back after verification. Let's hope that is the case.
Okay, but so does that mean we will have to pay extra courier charges? Instead of 1 pick up and 1 drop off. We pay for pickup, then drop off for originals and drop off again for OCI booklet?

When you submit your application, there is something on the checklist which says to submit "professional details letter", what did you submit for that? Wondering what to submit for a student and someone whose retired.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Okay, but so does that mean we will have to pay extra courier charges? Instead of 1 pick up and 1 drop off. We pay for pickup, then drop off for originals and drop off again for OCI booklet?

When you submit your application, there is something on the checklist which says to submit "professional details letter", what did you submit for that? Wondering what to submit for a student and someone whose retired.
I did not submit yet. I went there to know more details. Let's see if anyone else answers your questions. Thanks

ksn4u

Feb 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Ottawa (CPC-O)
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-4-2014
Doc's Request.
13-03-2015
AOR Received.
09-06-2014
Med's Request
27-11-2014
Med's Done....
04-12-2014
Passport Req..
27-04-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
For surrender certificate if we apply through mail to BLS how about the courier charges? Should be included in the DD? Or need to take a separate DD?

con2015jan

Oct 14, 2014
Hello , Please help me with 2 questions below for Indian passport surrender.
1. As there are no walk-ins for Ottawa BLS , How to book an appointment(The appointment booking system just waits for ever when I select Ottawa as the location ) ?
2. Has anyone tried passport surrender without Notarized affidavit for “Change of appearance ? Is that mandatory ? Passport I'm trying to surrender is 10 years old , So there is some change in appearance .

Thanks in advance .

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Hello , Please help me with 2 questions below for Indian passport surrender.
1. As there are no walk-ins for Ottawa BLS , How to book an appointment(The appointment booking system just waits for ever when I select Ottawa as the location ) ?
2. Has anyone tried passport surrender without Notarized affidavit for “Change of appearance ? Is that mandatory ? Passport I'm trying to surrender is 10 years old , So there is some change in appearance .

Thanks in advance .
1. After selecting Ottawa, the booking system will wait for 1-2 minutes. Don't reload the page or close the tab during this time. It will show up eventually. I think they have this delay by design so their servers aren't overworked but even then, it is very stupid implementation. Since it is intentional delay, they should have a countdown counter with when your page will be ready.

2. Can't help with this.

con2015jan

Oct 14, 2014
1. After selecting Ottawa, the booking system will wait for 1-2 minutes. Don't reload the page or close the tab during this time. It will show up eventually. I think they have this delay by design so their servers aren't overworked but even then, it is very stupid implementation. Since it is intentional delay, they should have a countdown counter with when your page will be ready.

2. Can't help with this.
Perfect - That worked . Thanks a lot !

Nov 2, 2020
Hello Fellow OCI firends, Here is oci timeline:

Applied through postal at BLS Brampton

01 Nov: Received at BLS as per purolater tracking
05 Nov: Received application on BLS as per email.
Nov 15: Status changes from under process to Processing at consulate
Dec 2: acknowledge on OCI website
Dec 23: processed as per oci website
Dec 24: Received at Toronto
Dec 29: passport ready for collection with additional information as comment, showing tracking ID. Around 4:00 PM, it was picked up by Purolator
Dec 30: Received OCI around 1:30 PM.

Thank you everyone for your support.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hi, I am trying to understand the documents required for OCI application in Toronto. In BLS website, in one place it mentions that for Toronto Jurisdiction we do not news to submit the originals. But the checklist mentions original Canadian passport, original canadian citizenship certificate and original CoPR. Could anyone who applied recently please confirm if Original Canadian passport, citizenship certificate and copr need to be submitted. Do they verify it at counter and return it right then? Or do they keep it with them? Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:

shafeeq87

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
Submitted surrender pp today at BLS Toronto, i had taken an appointment a month back.

So i had 2 applications wife and mine. My application had a mistake, so i quickly used my phone and corrected my application and sent to BLS email id to print the application, the lady at the counter was cooperative, else i would have to leave with just 1 submitted application. Thank God!!! Initially She said i cannot accept your application, you would have to leave take another appointment and come back(phew) anyways.

My time lines and how i planned out for surrender

1.Citizenship oath 27 Nov
2.Took appointment for Canadian pp 2 weeks from that Date Dec 13 applied Canadian passport
3. On Nov 27 took appointment for surrender ( Dec31) and OCI (Jan 26)
4. Hopefully will be able to do my Oci

hi
Did you get your citizenship certificate. Any idea how long it take get it in hand.

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
Guys - quick question while filling up part B of OCI fresh application . Could someone please help?

1. Is the old/surrendered indian passport number is same as "Renunciated Passport No."?
2. under Nationality details - which option to choose for "Acquisition Method" of canadian citizenship. like everyone else I got my PR and after due eligibility I got my Canada citizenship. So should I choose "REGISTRATION" or "NATURALIZATION".

please help.

thanks,

Ryn_20

Star Member
Aug 31, 2020
Hello Fellow OCI firends, Here is oci timeline:

Applied through postal at BLS Brampton

01 Nov: Received at BLS as per purolater tracking
05 Nov: Received application on BLS as per email.
Nov 15: Status changes from under process to Processing at consulate
Dec 2: acknowledge on OCI website
Dec 23: processed as per oci website
Dec 24: Received at Toronto
Dec 29: passport ready for collection with additional information as comment, showing tracking ID. Around 4:00 PM, it was picked up by Purolator
Dec 30: Received OCI around 1:30 PM.

Thank you everyone for your support.
This is too much. When they made surrender and OCI separate I would expect less processing time. It must be one month. This is insane. We need to submit twice and also wait for two months. So altogether 3months for one fricking process. Very very frustrating.