+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

mili_0923

Oct 26, 2021
My OCI went under process on Oct 18 and has been under process since then. I guess I should see something next week if normal timelines hold. But tomorrow will be the end of three weeks since it has been under process
I am currently in 4th week and no update. It is so disappointing. Maybe due to Diwali they might be going slower?

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
I am currently in 4th week and no update. It is so disappointing. Maybe due to Diwali they might be going slower?
yah could be. I don’t have any immediate travel plans so I’m not worried. Just hoping it’s just a small delay and no issues with the processing per se

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
We would like to apply for OCI for my American husband based on me being an Indian citizen (I am an Indian citizen due to having Indian citizens as parents).

I am also in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship and will be obtaining OCI for myself once my citizenship is approved.

Is it OK for us to apply for my husband's OCI now, or should we wait until after I get my OCI? Wondering because his OCI is contingent on me, and would his OCI obtained when I am a citizen of India remain valid when I renounce my Indian citizenship.

Abhishek901

Star Member
Jun 10, 2015
Toronto
Sharing my experience at BLS for citizenship renunciation and OCI.

Location - My wife and I went to BLS Brampton today. I reached just before 6 am today but made a mistake of waiting outside the BLS office that is temporarily closed. There is a small poster that says the office has moved to unit 403 opposite Rona. Since there was no one else standing there, I didn't bother getting out of the car in cold and start a line because I thought I was the first one to arrive there. Luckily another person arrived there and read the notice and approached me. So I just wasted 5 minutes there and drove to the actual centre in the same plaza.

Queues and timing - There were about 7-10 people ahead of me already which later expanded to 20 people by 8 am as those who were sitting in the car came outside to be with their partners. By the time office opened at 8 am there were about 80-100 people in the queue, most of them behind me. I entered the office around 8:30 am and was done in 20-25 minutes.

Entry restrictions - They let only one person from the family enter the centre. That person presents documents for rest of the family. If I knew that, I would have asked my wife to stay at home and not sacrifice her sleep. They asked me at the entry if I am vaccinated but did not check for proof.

Documents - They did not check any originals except Canadian passport and Indian passport (which they obviously kept). I had brought originals for citizenship certificate, COPR, marriage certificate, proof of address which they did not ask for. They did not even take the citizenship renunciation checklist that you are supposed to sign and attach with your application.

They will need 2 copies each for citizenship certificate, Canadian passport and Indian passport if you are applying for renunciation and OCI because these are two different applications. Doesn't make sense to me because I am applying for both together but I had no problems because I was carrying 2 copies of each - one self-certified and one blank. They were okay with that.

Fee - I was carrying 2 bank drafts for $345 addressed to CGI and rest I paid by debit card (around $416 for two people). This includes the renunciation fee and courier fee of around $35 x 4. I don't understand why they have to send 4 couriers to the same address and waste our money. I asked for the pick up option but the lady mentioned the pick up time is between 3 and 4 pm and you have to stand in line and if you couldn't make it by 4 pm, you would have to come again. So I went ahead with courier option.

Saturdays - BLS centre is open on Saturdays as well but someone in the line was saying that students start lining up even before 2 am on Saturdays so it's not advisable to go on those days. It makes sense because a lot of people would not want to take a day off from their work or studies.

Managing weather - I felt cold a lot more than I had expected. I was over dressed for the situation but normally we are out it in the cold for only a few minutes. This was the first time standing in cold for hours at around 0 degree. So I would suggest carrying extra layers in your car. I had an extra layer that I did not use but where I felt the most cold was my feet. I was wearing regular shoes and socks and I did not expect to feel that cold. It wasn't that cold in terms of temperature but then again this was the first time I had such a long exposure to cold. If I had to go again, I would wear winter boots and warm socks, even if it's not snowing or not that cold.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
The courier fee is how BLS makes its $$$$ clearly

rtamuli

Sep 20, 2021
Sharing my experience at BLS for citizenship renunciation and OCI.

Location - My wife and I went to BLS Brampton today. I reached just before 6 am today but made a mistake of waiting outside the BLS office that is temporarily closed. There is a small poster that says the office has moved to unit 403 opposite Rona. Since there was no one else standing there, I didn't bother getting out of the car in cold and start a line because I thought I was the first one to arrive there. Luckily another person arrived there and read the notice and approached me. So I just wasted 5 minutes there and drove to the actual centre in the same plaza.

Queues and timing - There were about 7-10 people ahead of me already which later expanded to 20 people by 8 am as those who were sitting in the car came outside to be with their partners. By the time office opened at 8 am there were about 80-100 people in the queue, most of them behind me. I entered the office around 8:30 am and was done in 20-25 minutes.

Entry restrictions - They let only one person from the family enter the centre. That person presents documents for rest of the family. If I knew that, I would have asked my wife to stay at home and not sacrifice her sleep. They asked me at the entry if I am vaccinated but did not check for proof.

Documents - They did not check any originals except Canadian passport and Indian passport (which they obviously kept). I had brought originals for citizenship certificate, COPR, marriage certificate, proof of address which they did not ask for. They did not even take the citizenship renunciation checklist that you are supposed to sign and attach with your application.

They will need 2 copies each for citizenship certificate, Canadian passport and Indian passport if you are applying for renunciation and OCI because these are two different applications. Doesn't make sense to me because I am applying for both together but I had no problems because I was carrying 2 copies of each - one self-certified and one blank. They were okay with that.

Fee - I was carrying 2 bank drafts for $345 addressed to CGI and rest I paid by debit card (around $416 for two people). This includes the renunciation fee and courier fee of around $35 x 4. I don't understand why they have to send 4 couriers to the same address and waste our money. I asked for the pick up option but the lady mentioned the pick up time is between 3 and 4 pm and you have to stand in line and if you couldn't make it by 4 pm, you would have to come again. So I went ahead with courier option.

Saturdays - BLS centre is open on Saturdays as well but someone in the line was saying that students start lining up even before 2 am on Saturdays so it's not advisable to go on those days. It makes sense because a lot of people would not want to take a day off from their work or studies.

Managing weather - I felt cold a lot more than I had expected. I was over dressed for the situation but normally we are out it in the cold for only a few minutes. This was the first time standing in cold for hours at around 0 degree. So I would suggest carrying extra layers in your car. I had an extra layer that I did not use but where I felt the most cold was my feet. I was wearing regular shoes and socks and I did not expect to feel that cold. It wasn't that cold in terms of temperature but then again this was the first time I had such a long exposure to cold. If I had to go again, I would wear winter boots and warm socks, even if it's not snowing or not that cold.
Hello @Abhishek901 can you pls confirm if the visit was appointment based or walk in? Just wanted to get an idea of the wait time

tm.bilal

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
Hi, Does anyone know whether BLS Toronto (Lawrence) is accepting Walk-ins (without appointment) for OCI submission ?

rdpatel1201@yahoo.in

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hi everyone
I applied OCI for my baby girl on 27th sept 2021 at BLS Toronto Location
The OCI card printed on 29th Oct
Dispatched from New Delhi on the same day and received at Toronto on 3rd November 2021
I checked application Status on BLS Website, shows “counter delivery to BLS after OCI stamping”
Can anyone tell me What does that mean? And when I will receive OCI card via Purolator as I paid the courier fees in advance
Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone
I applied OCI for my baby girl on 27th sept 2021 at BLS Toronto Location
The OCI card printed on 29th Oct
Dispatched from New Delhi on the same day and received at Toronto on 3rd November 2021
I checked application Status on BLS Website, shows “counter delivery to BLS after OCI stamping”
Can anyone tell me What does that mean? And when I will receive OCI card via Purolator as I paid the courier fees in advance
Thanks
The status has to change to "Ready for dispatch". After that happens, you can try tracking your package on the Purolator site using your application reference number as the tracking ID.

BS9888

Oct 11, 2021
Hi, is cgi toronto now accepting walk in for attestation services. Cgi website says they will not be taking mailed applications for attestation after 27 oct 21. I send the application for BC attstation of my kids which arrived at cgi on 18 oct 21. But still have not got attested docs back. I tried contacting them on twiiter and send them the email ,but no reply its been 8 days since i contacted them....there are no whereabouts of the docs........any body with attestation exprerience with birth certificate with cgi....should i wait for the BC to be mailed back or go to cgi for attestation if they accept walkins...thanks

samkan

Feb 8, 2021
i am trying to apply OCI for me(Adult application) but it requires marriage certificate and we recently got married and didn't got chance to visit india and apply marriage certificate. Any advise how i should approach this situation?