+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Update on my Surrender application: After over two months, the status on the BLS website changed to “Ready for collection” on April 5.
Called BLS to ask for the Purolator tracking number, and they said they would have to put in a request for it to be updated on the site, which would take 3-4 days. Obviously they are just dragging their feet and won’t release the tracking number, so I’ll update this thread when I receive my passport and surrender certificate.

maildivyaus

May 3, 2013
Dear Maildivyaus,

In such cases where the name appears to be different, an affidavit should be submitted with the application stating that name on Indian passport is same as on Canadian passport.

Below text is from this link: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/CanadaVisaCCT/Toronto-OCI-Checklist-Rev-11-9-March-31-21.pdf

SignatureChecklist for Toronto jurisdiction only. Rev. 11.9,last updated:March 31,21
NAME VARIATION:-If there is a name variation or complete name change, please submit a name change certificate, issued by the Ministry of Ontario or provincial Government in Canada.
A Notarized affidavit may also be required in cases where supporting documents are not attested or, if the appropriate documents are not authenticated.
Thank you so much, Affidavit should be notarized right? If we submit the Affidavit, we don't have to go through the process of name change right?

arjy2405

Star Member
Dec 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2014
AOR Received.
06-02-2015
File Transfer...
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
UF 04-03-2016 <br>RPRF Done....: UF 04-03-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
Applied OCI for my 9 month old. Getting through to the bls call center was like a game of roulette. I called them 20+ time to get through finally to the Ottawa center even though I am in Toronto. She was really helpful and explained to me how the process and the docs to send (all self attested) she also generated the purolator labels over the phone. I paid them by clicking through on links sent to my email (1 each for pickup and drop). Docs I submitted in the purolator pickup envelope (no originals for any of the proofs):
  • Online application form (print out)
  • 1 photo
  • Birth certificate photocopy
  • Canadian passport photocopy
  • Copies of Parents’ Cancelled Indian passport, surrender certificate, marriage certificate, Landing paper
  • No objection letter
  • Parents’ Oci card photocopy
  • 1 parent’s Address proof photocopy
  • Draft#1: 425 - counsulate gen of india toronto
  • Draft#2: 7.40 - bls international service canada inc

Here is the timeline:

Application Type: Postal
Jurisdiction/BLS Location: Toronto / Brampton
Shipped through Purolator: 05 March, 2021
Delivered to BLS brampton: 08 March, 2021
No AOR received from either BLS or CGI
Date of Acknowledgement per ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury: 19 March, 2021
OCI Application Status : Under Process

I have booked tickets for her to Delhi for 15th April. Hopefully everything works out and my wife and daughter can travel with my in laws next week. Fingers crossed.

Aspat

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know that the OCI has to be renewed after age 50. Should it be renewed as soon as you turn 50 even if your passport is valid for a few more years or can you wait to renew it until it’s time to renew the passport as well? Can anybody shed some light on this? Thanks!

Nov 2, 2020
Thank you so much, Affidavit should be notarized right? If we submit the Affidavit, we don't have to go through the process of name change right?
Yes, Affidavit should be notarized. In my opinion, this should be good enough.

Reason: Most probably, your PR card, Driving license have your full name in the last name and now your Passport reflects the same. Technically, you never changed your name since you are in Canada. It will be hard to convince the province that you have ever changed your name.

It is very common practice in India to not have the last name. CGI must be encountering such cases on daily basis. To be more sure you can always email oci.toronto@mea.gov.in

VELU

Mar 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
AOR Received.
31-08-2012
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
21-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
27-11-2013
Hi, I send my OCI and surrender application by
Canada post at 10 Gillingham drive Unit 202. Bramton . Delivered march 23.
Still no Status found in Bls website.
I have doubts they will accept only Prolator courier services.
Anybody have experience sending via Canada post. Thanks in advance

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi everyone,

Finally received my surrender certificate and passport in the mail today. My timeline for applying for surrender + OCI via post to BLS Toronto is below:

Feb 2: Application delivered. I detailed my experience + documents required for a single applicant from Toronto in this post.
No Acknowledgement email received.
Feb 17:Tracking on BLS site becomes active (after multiple calls to BLS)
Feb 19: Tracking on OCI website becomes active
March 11: Documents printed, processed and sent to Toronto
March 12: Ready for dispatch
March 17: Received OCI at home (no tracking # provided despite calling BLS)
Total time for OCI was 6 weeks
March 30
: sent @indiaintoronto on Twitter a message to check the status of my surrender app. I referenced a tweet they sent on Feb 11 to someone saying surrender processing time is only 2 weeks. Don't know if this pushed things through, because my certificate was printed the next day.
April 2: Status on BLS website for surrender changed to 'In Transit from CGI to BLS'. Status on Indian portal website changed to 'Certificate printed'
April 5: Ready for collection
April 9: Received surrender certificate and passport. (Called BLS on April 7 and they miraculously uploaded the tracking #)
Total time for surrender was 9 weeks

Good luck to everyone waiting! I know dealing with BLS can be very frustrating, but hope you all get good news soon.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

Finally received my surrender certificate and passport in the mail today. My timeline for applying for surrender + OCI via post to BLS Toronto is below:

Feb 2: Application delivered. I detailed my experience + documents required for a single applicant from Toronto in this post.
No Acknowledgement email received.
Feb 17:Tracking on BLS site becomes active (after multiple calls to BLS)
Feb 19: Tracking on OCI website becomes active
March 11: Documents printed, processed and sent to Toronto
March 12: Ready for dispatch
March 17: Received OCI at home (no tracking # provided despite calling BLS)
Total time for OCI was 6 weeks
March 30
: sent @indiaintoronto on Twitter a message to check the status of my surrender app. I referenced a tweet they sent on Feb 11 to someone saying surrender processing time is only 2 weeks. Don't know if this pushed things through, because my certificate was printed the next day.
April 2: Status on BLS website for surrender changed to 'In Transit from CGI to BLS'. Status on Indian portal website changed to 'Certificate printed'
April 5: Ready for collection
April 9: Received surrender certificate and passport. (Called BLS on April 7 and they miraculously uploaded the tracking #)
Total time for surrender was 9 weeks

Good luck to everyone waiting! I know dealing with BLS can be very frustrating, but hope you all get good news soon.
Hey COngrats... Quick question what status "Processing at Consulate General " means? is it at CGI ?

ankushsharma

Star Member
Mar 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Aug-14
Doc's Request.
DD: 17-Nov-14
Nomination.....
PER: 04-Dec-14
AOR Received.
SL: 6-Feb-15
File Transfer...
3-Feb-15
Med's Request
28-Feb-15
Med's Done....
9-Mar-15; 3rd Line: 23-Mar-15
Interview........
DM: 23-Apr-15
Passport Req..
28-Apr-15
VISA ISSUED...
21-Apr-15; Passports received : 5-May-15
Update on OCI application status:

8-Mar - Shipped through Purolator
9-Mar - Delivered to BLS Brampton
No AOR received from either BLS or CGI.
15-Mar - Application Date as per BLS website
23-Mar - Date of Acknowledgement per ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury
12-April - Document Printing Status as Processed
12-April - Dispatched from MEA (OCI)
12-April - Documents Received at Toronto
13-April - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre
14-April - OCI Card ready for collection

Called BLS twice today to get the tracking number. On my first attempt, after a long wait on the call, lady told me that they don't receive OCI cards and it will be couriered directly from the consulate and then disconnected the call right away before I can respond. On my second attempt, waited for 30 minutes on the call, someone picked up and then disconnected the call without saying anything. Took me back to my experiences dealing with lazy and insensitive people working in government offices in India. Better off waiting for the courier than chasing BLS people for information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Derekview

Deepak80

Apr 14, 2021
Update on OCI application status:

8-Mar - Shipped through Purolator
9-Mar - Delivered to BLS Brampton
No AOR received from either BLS or CGI.
15-Mar - Application Date as per BLS website
23-Mar - Date of Acknowledgement per ociservices.gov.in/statusEnqury
12-April - Document Printing Status as Processed
12-April - Dispatched from MEA (OCI)
12-April - Documents Received at Toronto
13-April - Counter Delivery to BLS Centre
14-April - OCI Card ready for collection

Called BLS twice today to get the tracking number. On my first attempt, after a long wait on the call, lady told me that they don't receive OCI cards and it will be couriered directly from the consulate and then disconnected the call right away before I can respond. On my second attempt, waited for 30 minutes on the call, someone picked up and then disconnected the call without saying anything. Took me back to my experiences dealing with lazy and insensitive people working in government offices in India. Better off waiting for the courier than chasing BLS people for information.
CONGRATULATIONS ANKUSH!!!

Will you please share when did (which date) the status change on the Status Enquiry Website or BLS WEBSITE?
Did it start showing the change from April 12th or LATER?
I have the very similar timeline Like Application Date on BLS is 18th March and date of acknowledge on status enquiry is 25th March.
But till now it is showing the status as underprocess.
I am tired of checking it again and again.
I would appreciate on which website and on which dates you have seen the last five status shown on your Timeline.
Thanks in advance!

Deepak