+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

subhanca

Apr 1, 2021
Contacted the BLS today for my daughter who is 4 months old for her OCI Card. She never had an Indian Passport. Both of her Parents have Indian Passport:

Got to know that the Fees have been revised and are as follows:

The Consulate General of India - Toronto $345
BLS International Services Canada Inc $7.4

The Documents needed are:

1. OCI Application(ON PAGE 2 OF APPLICATION, SIGN OF BOTH PARENTS AND THUMB OFF BABY)
2. 2 Photo
3. Canadian passport Yumna (Copy)
4. Indian Parent Passport(Both, Copy )
5. COPR(Landing Papers of both parents) (Copy)
6. Birth Certificate(Copy)
7. PR Cards(Copy)
8. Marriage Certificate(Copy)
9. No Objection Letter
10. Address Proof of one parent (Copy)

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
The new fee for OCI in Toronto & Ottawa jurisdiction is $345 + BLS charges($7.4 + courier fee). It's updated on the website: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php
The passport surrender fee though still seems to be $250.

Frankly it's ridiculous how complex and expensive the entire process (surrender + OCI) is with all their forms and documents requirements. The surrender process seems totally unnecessary for those applying for an OCI the first time, but seems like the government just wants maximum revenue possible. If they don't wanna lower the fee, at least they should have made it all online after more than a year of pandemic. Sorry for the rant, but this is just very annoying.
Interesting that they only lowered the fees for Ottawa and Toronto.
Vancouver is still the same at $425. This disparity, along with the whole renunciation mechanism, is ridiculous.

Cp2711

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Contacted the BLS today for my daughter who is 4 months old for her OCI Card. She never had an Indian Passport. Both of her Parents have Indian Passport:

1. OCI Application(ON PAGE 2 OF APPLICATION, SIGN OF BOTH PARENTS AND THUMB OFF BABY)
2. 2 Photo
7. PR Cards(Copy)
9. No Objection Letter
Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Sa1gari

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
My appointment experience for surrender and OCI as below:-
1. Submitted surrender certificate application without any issues
2. Was unable to submit OCI as my fathers middle name was missing in application.
3. Also they told me fees will be accepted through demand draft only and not debit. I dont know why.
4. Either i have to book new appointment or send by courier now for OCI

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
My appointment experience for surrender and OCI as below:-
1. Submitted surrender certificate application without any issues
2. Was unable to submit OCI as my fathers middle name was missing in application.
3. Also they told me fees will be accepted through demand draft only and not debit. I dont know why.
4. Either i have to book new appointment or send by courier now for OCI
Sorry to hear about the confusion! Weird about them not accepting a card payment when their website says you can.
Wonder if their centres would still be open after the lockdown announcement, so you may have to send OCI via courier. Good luck!

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
Sorry to hear about the confusion! Weird about them not accepting a card payment when their website says you can.
Wonder if their centres would still be open after the lockdown announcement, so you may have to send OCI via courier. Good luck!
Hey No worries even I had verified on website but even my form was missing middle name may be thats the reason they told me about draft too. Anyways i will send via courier now. Atleast one task is done . Surrender work is done...

wonderclicks

Nov 3, 2013
Mississauga
Hey Guys,

My appointment is on April 6th not sure if the BLS will be open due to emergency lock down measures !! Regarding fees I know for OCI it got reduced to 345, but what about surrender fees? earlier it was 250.4 (240 + Consular 3 + BLS Serv Fee 7.4) Now I don't see surrender fees listed anywhere on the portal this puts me in dilemma !! any suggestions?

BLS Surrender Certificate link Toronto:
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php

shine1429

Apr 4, 2019
Hey Guys,

My appointment is on April 6th not sure if the BLS will be open due to emergency lock down measures !! Regarding fees I know for OCI it got reduced to 345, but what about surrender fees? earlier it was 250.4 (240 + Consular 3 + BLS Serv Fee 7.4) Now I don't see surrender fees listed anywhere on the portal this puts me in dilemma !! any suggestions?

BLS Surrender Certificate link Toronto:
https://www.blsindia-canada.com/renunciation_ppt.php
Its still the same. I submitted just today... and you can pay by debit card..

Reactions: wonderclicks

nskca

Feb 6, 2020
Hi All,
If I'm applying for Surrender and OCI for me and my daughter together as a postal application,
Q1. Can I take the drafts separately for Surrender and OCI for both of us - $250.40 & 345 and pay the the BLS charges of @29.20(7.40x4) together +
Courier charges by calling Purolator? or can I pay the BLS and courier charges together i.e. 29.2 + 35 + 20 + 20 + 20
Q2: My daughter is already a US Citizen and holds the OCI card. OCI card shows her current US passport number.
Now, she got her Canadian passport. So, Do I need to reapply for her OCI again as she got new Canadian passport?

Could any one please clarify me on the above?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Hi All,
If I'm applying for Surrender and OCI for me and my daughter together as a postal application,
Q1. Can I take the drafts separately for Surrender and OCI for both of us - $250.40 & 345 and pay the the BLS charges of @29.20(7.40x4) together +
Courier charges by calling Purolator? or can I pay the BLS and courier charges together i.e. 29.2 + 35 + 20 + 20 + 20
Q2: My daughter is already a US Citizen and holds the OCI card. OCI card shows her current US passport number.
Now, she got her Canadian passport. So, Do I need to reapply for her OCI again as she got new Canadian passport?

Could any one please clarify me on the above?

Hi! You are better off calling your local BLS to find out if your daughter has to reapply for her OCI with a different citizenship. You may not have to, as she is a dual citizen.

For the fees, I assume only you will be applying for surrender + OCI. You can keep demand drafts for your application separate. If your daughter already has an OCI, she would not need to apply for a surrender. You will have to call BLS, not Purolator, to pay for the Purolator pick up and drop off. Have your credit card ready and they will complete the courier charges over the phone. You will have to print the label and stick it on the envelope and hand over to the delivery person.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017

2. 2 Photo
7. PR Cards(Copy)
9. No Objection Letter
Also, we have to send the address proof right ? No place to upload it online ?

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017

2. 2 Photo
7. PR Cards(Copy)
9. No Objection Letter
Kindly help me resolve my below doubts. I will be sending the documents tomorrow-

1. The hard copy of the photo of the child has to be pasted in the form? 2 photos have to provided so can it be provided in small envelope ?
2. In the part B print out of OCI application, if both parents are signing in the "Application for minor section", where will the child thumb print go ?
The signature is in Page 3 right ? After the Part A and PARTB.

3. address proof i have attached in the copy I am sending by postal email. I havent uploaded it online as it was not there in teh checklist. That is okay right ?
4. in the checklist at the end of each page only one parent can sign ?
5. Do they have to be arranged in any sequence ?
6.I have attached the copy and uploaded the most recent passport copy of my husband. That is fine right ? No need to attach the old passport, If I am not wrong ?