+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Here is summary what I gathered.

eVisa -
1) Apply Canada passport - 2 weeks
2) Apply eVisa - 24 hours (and needs to be applied 4 days before flying, so say 1 week)
3) After coming back, surrender Indian passport and apply OCI if you want.
Total - 3 weeks before flying + buffer
Trip has to be less than 60 days.

Tourist Visa -
2) Surrender Indian passport - 2 weeks (simultaneously to step 1)
3) Apply Indian tourist visa - 2 weeks
Total - 4 weeks before flying + buffer

OCI -
2) Surrender Indian passport - 2 weeks (simultaneously to step 1)
3) Apply OCI - 8 weeks
Total - 10 weeks before flying + buffer

Add buffers between processing, so if you have 3-4 months, go for OCI. Anything less than that, your options are eVisa (if trip is less than 60 days) or tourist visa.
I like your information. Very detailed. Thank you.

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Referring to the above information and relating to it with my case, could i please ask for some advice.....
I want to go on a trip for around a month after getting my Canadian passport. Its something i have been putting away and need to make this trip asap.

So is this the process i should be following -
1. I get my oath ceremony done and apply for a Canadian passport with the certificate.
2. Once i get my passport, i apply for a e-visa.
3. I travel with the Canadian passport and e-visa although i still have possession of the Indian passport (Is this valid and legal?)
4. On returning to Canada, i surrender the Indian passport.

If someone could please share your knowledge on this matter, it will help a great deal. @sajc @thecoolguysam @amitdi

Thanks.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Referring to the above information and relating to it with my case, could i please ask for some advice.....
I want to go on a trip for around a month after getting my Canadian passport. Its something i have been putting away and need to make this trip asap.

1. I get my oath ceremony done and apply for a Canadian passport with the certificate.
3. I travel with the Canadian passport and e-visa although i still have possession of the Indian passport (Is this valid and legal?)

If someone could please share your knowledge on this matter, it will help a great deal. @sajc @thecoolguysam @amitdi

Thanks.
I have only gathered info from BLS and this thread recently. Your plan looks good to me.

As confirmed in some posts by others, eVisa does not need surrender certificate, so you should be good.

Reactions: The Arsenal

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada

Thanks.
Before you proceed, try getting in touch with Consulate General of India in your province and confirm the details to make sure there are no future issues.

Reactions: The Arsenal

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017

Thanks.
Hey,
It looks good. One thing, If you have sometime between oath and travel ( min 2-3 weeks). Get your passport surrendered on the same day as your oath. Just to be on safe side.

If you go by e-visa, they dont need to see your indian passport , so even if the surrender certificate is delayed, you can always mention that it is under-process and that there is no intention of holding the indian passport illegally.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Just an update on the time line for OCI at Vancouver. We applied Jan 17 and we got the OCI card today. so roughly 4 weeks.

The Arsenal

Star Member
Jan 23, 2018
Hey,
It looks good. One thing, If you have sometime between oath and travel ( min 2-3 weeks). Get your passport surrendered on the same day as your oath. Just to be on safe side.

If you go by e-visa, they dont need to see your indian passport , so even if the surrender certificate is delayed, you can always mention that it is under-process and that there is no intention of holding the indian passport illegally.
Thank you for the information. So I don't need to be here for the surrender process right? Just send the form and Indian passport and my job is done?

bjsk

Jan 9, 2018
Just an update on the time line for OCI at Vancouver. We applied Jan 17 and we got the OCI card today. so roughly 4 weeks.
mine is still in process since Jan 23, 2018. i applied for both surrender and oci together on jan 16 and have received surrender certificate.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
mine is still in process since Jan 23, 2018. i applied for both surrender and oci together on jan 16 and have received surrender certificate.
here is a question (not specifically to you, in general) -

Situation 1)
Say you receive your originals, but not the OCI booklet. Your travel date is just 2 weeks down the road. Can you now, apply for eVisa because you fear that OCI may not arrive in time.

Situation 2)
And here is one more complication I want to add (now that I am at it), say you want to stay for 60+ days. You go to India on eVisa. and when the OCI comes to your address in Canada while you are gone, you ask a friend to courier it to India, then extend your stay beyond 60 days.

Am I taking the risk too far here?

sjp123

Aug 20, 2016
Visa Office......
NovaScotia
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
03-01-2017
Nomination.....
21-03-2016
AOR Received.
21-10-2016
My OCI timeline
Date Of Application 21 Dec 2017
Date Of Acknowledgment 17-Jan-2018
Original documents received 19-Jan-2018
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 08-Feb-2018
Dispatched From MEA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On 09-Feb-2018
Document received At TORONTO On 14-Feb-2018
Received home on 16-Feb-2018

Reactions: amitdi

Awebus

Star Member
Dec 15, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am curious,

What is the max validity for eVisa (i.e. max allowed time you can stay there). What if we get eVisa then visit there and surrender passport as well as apply OCI at FRRO (I have heard both are possible there) in India? Is it technically possible for someone who wants to stay little longer?