Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
22-03-2016
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2017
i have a question on an unrelated topic

I was a student in Canada from Sep 2005 - Nov 2009 (4 years)
Between Aug 2009 - Aug 2012 I was on a post graduate work permit (3 years)
From Aug 2012 - Nov 2014 I was there on a Visitors Record (2 years)

It's a long story as to why I did not apply or get my PR back then, but my question is: say I get my PR in the coming months, for simplicity sake and timeline say Jan 2017. Would any of my time above count towards the citizenship requirement of 4 out of last 6 years? Did international students not have 50% of their time count towards this requirement? Or is that only applicable if I had applied under the CEC stream? I know bill C-24 had made a lot of changes and the Liberal government has introduced quite a few amendments to that - any idea of where things are on this? I have a weird feeling my time as a student and worker won't count towards the citizenship requirement now...anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

saazg

Aug 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zoya_99 said:
Yes I believe you can apply OCI in India. See this link:
http://www.mea.gov.in/oci-related-matters.htm
how can i Surrender my Indian passport, and what are they charge for it

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
mubzali said:
i have a question on an unrelated topic

I was a student in Canada from Sep 2005 - Nov 2009 (4 years)
Between Aug 2009 - Aug 2012 I was on a post graduate work permit (3 years)
From Aug 2012 - Nov 2014 I was there on a Visitors Record (2 years)

It's a long story as to why I did not apply or get my PR back then, but my question is: say I get my PR in the coming months, for simplicity sake and timeline say Jan 2017. Would any of my time above count towards the citizenship requirement of 4 out of last 6 years? Did international students not have 50% of their time count towards this requirement? Or is that only applicable if I had applied under the CEC stream? I know bill C-24 had made a lot of changes and the Liberal government has introduced quite a few amendments to that - any idea of where things are on this? I have a weird feeling my time as a student and worker won't count towards the citizenship requirement now...anyone got any thoughts on this matter?
Any time spent before getting PR does not count towards citizenship.

saazg

Aug 3, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
You don't surrender the passport, you renounce the indian citizenship once you become canadian. The fees is approx $275 to $300
thanks thecoolguysam

sekarchinna

Jul 22, 2013
Hi All,

I applied OCI for my new born on November 26th 2016 at BLS office Brampton and they took my originals including passport and other documents. I still couldn't find my application status online neither in BLS site or Government website, is that normal?

When will i be able to check application status first? (after i received originals back?, i tried to check in previous post but i couldn't find when you can start tracking your status) and also what is the current time line for further steps like 1) receiving originals 2) status update and oci issuance.

Thank you!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
sekarchinna said:
Hi All,

I applied OCI for my new born on November 26th 2016 at BLS office Brampton and they took my originals including passport and other documents. I still couldn't find my application status online neither in BLS site or Government website, is that normal?

When will i be able to check application status first? (after i received originals back?, i tried to check in previous post but i couldn't find when you can start tracking your status) and also what is the current time line for further steps like 1) receiving originals 2) status update and oci issuance.

Thank you!
Use the Receipt from BLS site to track the information on BLS's website.
For Govt of India's website, you need to wait couple of weeks in order for the info to show up.

May be you are entering BLS info in Govt of India's website. You should use the BLS's receipt info on BLS website and Form's application number on Govt of India's website.

sekarchinna

Jul 22, 2013
thecoolguysam said:
Use the Receipt from BLS site to track the information on BLS's website.
For Govt of India's website, you need to wait couple of weeks in order for the info to show up.

May be you are entering BLS info in Govt of India's website. You should use the BLS's receipt info on BLS website and Form's application number on Govt of India's website.
Thanks for your reply @coolguysam ,,i was checking BLS website with file number and I will try with the receipt provided by BLS office, but there was a change in government website and shows In Process under status.

sidestep4u

Sep 27, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
surrey bc
NOC Code......
citizenship
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
dec 19 2016
Interview........
mar 9 2017
sekarchinna said:
Hi All,

Thank you!

GIVE 3 MONTHS TIME U SHOULD GET IT. OCI TAKES TIME

bluehawk1

Oct 29, 2016
Pleasant experience with BLS India (toronto/scarborough branch)
Walk-in application: 1 Nov/16
OCI received by mail: 12/14/16

tiarachel85

Champion Member
Jun 27, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My few months old nephew is travelling to India.

He already have 6 months tourist visa that expires on January 06 2017. But he plans to stay there till January 22 2017.

Could you please advise what options he has? Should he apply for visa again? And will it be granted keeping in mind he already has a valid visa?

Can he apply for e-tourist visa?

Please advise what options he has?

Thanks & Regards

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiarachel85 said:
My few months old nephew is travelling to India.

He already have 6 months tourist visa that expires on January 06 2017. But he plans to stay there till January 22 2017.

Could you please advise what options he has? Should he apply for visa again? And will it be granted keeping in mind he already has a valid visa?

Can he apply for e-tourist visa?

Please advise what options he has?

Thanks & Regards
Yes he has to apply for extension. If not he will be over staying.

ShahPrateek

Jun 4, 2014
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
Nomination.....
09-09-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
File Transfer...
Not aware when it was done!!
Med's Request
09-10-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2014... 3rd line updated on 11 Nov 2014
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-07-2015
bluehawk1 said:
Pleasant experience with BLS India (toronto/scarborough branch)
Walk-in application: 1 Nov/16
OCI received by mail: 12/14/16

That was way too fast!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

ShahPrateek

Jun 4, 2014
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2014
Nomination.....
09-09-2014
IELTS Request
Sent With Application
File Transfer...
Not aware when it was done!!
Med's Request
09-10-2014
Med's Done....
01-11-2014... 3rd line updated on 11 Nov 2014
Interview........
Waived !!
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-03-2015
LANDED..........
23-07-2015
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest that how much time it takes when OCI is dispatched from MOIA india to reach Toronto???

akil_f1

Jun 15, 2013
TORONTO
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
2**3
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-13
AOR Received.
10-01-2014
sekarchinna said:
Hi All,

Thank you!
Hello I am also looking to apply OCI for my New born baby. cam you please list the steps ? for some reasons the info on teh website is too confusing ?
1.should we submit the original PP(baby and parents) to them ?
2. if so how long they will hold them ?
3. what if if we have in between travel plans
4. How long the whole process take ?
5. Can we apply E visa if TIME doesn't permit for OCI . we are planning to stay there for around 7 months .