+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
It seems the consulate has relaxed this requirement to allow people to apply for SC and visa at same time. As they used to allow for OCI a long time ago.
But, being a new development, there is little guidance on this.
Just spoke to a BLS agent and pressed him to check on this (he kept on saying you need surrender certificate) and then he did put me on hold and checked on it.. so apparently, 1 day back there is a new guideline from HCI.. one can apply for entry visa without surrender certificate i.e., you need to show the following in lieu of surrender certificate: a. application form and proof that you have submitted an application for it b. affidavit that it is an emergency situation

The only caveat is that you can ONLY apply for a 3 month single entry visa (however the fee would be for the 6 month visa only).. in case you need visa for more than 3 months, you would need the surrender certificate..

Neerja

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
No still the same.
Under process on Visa site.
CGI opens at 9:30 so I will check again later in the afternoon
Thanks for helping out people here.. What is usually a timeline for entry Visa for postal applications? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks you!

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
If at all you find anyone with experience on this, it would be either with a receipt or applying for both at the same time. In your case as surrender is pending, I would take a copy of the status showing the file reference number. Why not wait for SC to arrive?
My appointment (which is a nightmare to find) is scheduled for 03 Nov and the surrender certificate status as of today morning is "it has been printed" on HCI website.. I have two 5 months' old kids at home and cannot do a walk-in.. hence was wondering if I could apply for the entry visa without the surrender certificate..

Reactions: eas2lv

iamsukhwinder

Oct 18, 2023
My appointment (which is a nightmare to find) is scheduled for 03 Nov and the surrender certificate status as of today morning is "it has been printed" on HCI website.. I have two 5 months' old kids at home and cannot do a walk-in.. hence was wondering if I could apply for the entry visa without the surrender certificate..
Hi
What date did you surrender the passport?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
my application date was 19 Oct on BLS website (it was a postal application) and today morning it says it has been printed..
It will mostly be in your hand early next week. Printed means it's already done. Should not cause much issue for them to accept it.

farooq.ind

Nov 9, 2021
@eas2lv Any idea what does it mean when there is comment at the bottom with Purolator tracking number on BLS status tracker? Status is still "Processing at Consulate General" though.

tarun1110

Star Member
Sep 7, 2017
My 2 cents (and I don't want to offend anyone)

This is a group for OCI applications/queries but recently we are seeing too many comments and queries for Entry Visa. I do understand that GOI made some unwanted changes to the processing of temporary-permits/visas and people had to take the OCI route as this was the only option available, and this brought a lot of people to this thread. I would kindly request everyone to discuss the Entry Visa (or any other visa) related stuff on another relevant thread and keep this thread just for the OCI applicants.

PS: My OCI got processed yesterday and this will not affect me. I'm just trying to make things easier for the future OCI applicants and the applicants who are waiting for updates on their current OCI application. Personally, I wouldn't want to read through multiple comments to find one comment that's actually relevant for OCI applications/process.