+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
On OCI site, for Employment letter do I need to provide a letter from my employer or I just need a word file to create with my employment details and sign it?
Bcoz the same is being asked by BLS too.
Thanks

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Hello,

I would like to ask for a help regarding my OCI application. I am submitting an application for a fresh OCI.

After receiving my Canadian citizenship I did a legal name change. After getting the name changed, I got my Canadian passport in my new name. So my confusion is, do I need anything else to support the difference in name other than the Legal Name Change document to do my application?
Documents in my old name: Cancelled Indian passport, Surrender certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate
Documents in my new name: Canadian passport, all my ID's

I called BLS customer service and they asked to provide an Affidavit. Is that something I can get from Service Ontario?

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I would like to ask for a help regarding my OCI application. I am submitting an application for a fresh OCI.

After receiving my Canadian citizenship I did a legal name change. After getting the name changed, I got my Canadian passport in my new name. So my confusion is, do I need anything else to support the difference in name other than the Legal Name Change document to do my application?
Documents in my old name: Cancelled Indian passport, Surrender certificate, Canadian citizenship certificate
Documents in my new name: Canadian passport, all my ID's

I called BLS customer service and they asked to provide an Affidavit. Is that something I can get from Service Ontario?

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10377972
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/page-844#post-10377852

Its Notary. Above posts have some info if you in Toronto.

Reactions: Sammy3

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Thank you for your response. I checked the links but I am not in GTA. I will find a Notary locally here. Is there any template for this affidavit? I am not sure what needs to be included in this.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you for your response. I checked the links but I am not in GTA. I will find a Notary locally here. Is there any template for this affidavit? I am not sure what needs to be included in this.
Below was a sample for place of birth discrepancy. On similar lines you can create for name too.

Affidavit for discrepancy

"I <name> residing at <address>, do solemnly affirm and declare as under:

That I am naturalized Canadian citizen since <date>

That I am in the midst of submitting my application for OCI to India, and that I am submitting

this affidavit due to a mismatch in my Indian and Canadian passports regarding my place of

birth.

I hereby declare that I was born on <DOB> in the city of Bhavnagar in Gujarat State,

India.

That my Indian passport no. <PPT#> has the place of my birth appropriately mentioned as

'Bhavna (GS)'. Whereas, in my Canadian passport no. <PPTCDN#> the place of birth is just

mentioned as Gujarat, IND

I hereby wish to clarify that GS and Gujarat State are one and the same. Gujarat State is simply

abbreviated as GS on my Canadian passport. Also the city of my birth 'Bhavna' is not mentioned

on my Canadian passport.

I'd also like to point out that my place of birth is listed as Bhavna, Gujarat State, India on all of

my documents (including educational records, police clearance certificates, and previous

immigration records), and I obtained my Canadian citizenship based on the same documents and

after passing all background checks.

That I am executing this declaration to resolve any discrepancies between my Indian passport

and my Canadian passport about my place and state of birth.

I also understand that a person who knowingly and wilfully falsifies this affidavit is subject to

criminal punishment as provided by law.

Signature:

Printed Name:"

Mazallstar

Jun 5, 2017
Quick question. After taking a new photograph, did you upload the new pic and refilled the entire online application? Because the photograph which we upload online and submit should be same.
I had the same question and the rep at counter 9 said that they will upload the pic in the online application. They did not reprint the application with the new photo. I think they use the same application and just stick the new photos to the same application form itself.

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
In OCI doc list not sure what to upload for below items-
1. What is "Indian visa"? I have no visa.
2. What is joint declaration of subsisting marriage? What to provide in it? My spouse is stil an India citizen
3. PIO card
4. Relation cert, there is already a marriage cert being asked what is this for?
5. Spouse OCI card? There is no OCI card ?

Please can you help as i am not sure what to upload here.

TIA

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
In OCI doc list not sure what to upload for below items-
1. What is "Indian visa"? I have no visa.
2. What is joint declaration of subsisting marriage? What to provide in it? My spouse is stil an India citizen
3. PIO card
4. Relation cert, there is already a marriage cert being asked what is this for?
5. Spouse OCI card? There is no OCI card ?

Please can you help as i am not sure what to upload here.

TIA
You don't have to upload doc for every section. Doc mentioned in below link is enough. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10564482

Sammy3

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the OCI application. I have checked numerous threads, BLS info and Youtube vidoes but still seeing a lot of conflicting information. If someone could clarify that would be highly appreciated.

1. National Identification Number: do we need to submit this field? some says its citizenship #, other say its SIN.
2. Previous Passport #: Is this referring to my cancelled Indian passport? I was under the impression its Canadian passport but BLS customer service agent said its indian passport.
3. This might be a rare case. I did a legal name change after getting Canadian citizenship. I have the name change certificate, but BLS wants me to add an affidavit as well. So the question is, do I need to upload this online or just physical copy when I submit at BLS?
4 and 5 are nuances and I think I know the answer but I ll ask anyways. I wouldnt be surprised if this is true.

4. Indian Visa - I saw COPR is mentioned to be uploaded here. Is that true?
5. Self Declaration for Single individuals - Do I need to upload any document like this since I am not married?

I apologize if this has been asked before. I tried to check a lot on this thread but its too big to cover everything in short time.

Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the OCI application. I have checked numerous threads, BLS info and Youtube vidoes but still seeing a lot of conflicting information. If someone could clarify that would be highly appreciated.

1. National Identification Number: do we need to submit this field? some says its citizenship #, other say its SIN.
2. Previous Passport #: Is this referring to my cancelled Indian passport? I was under the impression its Canadian passport but BLS customer service agent said its indian passport.
3. This might be a rare case. I did a legal name change after getting Canadian citizenship. I have the name change certificate, but BLS wants me to add an affidavit as well. So the question is, do I need to upload this online or just physical copy when I submit at BLS?
4 and 5 are nuances and I think I know the answer but I ll ask anyways. I wouldnt be surprised if this is true.

4. Indian Visa - I saw COPR is mentioned to be uploaded here. Is that true?
5. Self Declaration for Single individuals - Do I need to upload any document like this since I am not married?

I apologize if this has been asked before. I tried to check a lot on this thread but its too big to cover everything in short time.

Thanks
1. Nothing to be filled. It's not a mandatory field.
2. You are filling Canadian passport details so previous passport no will be empty.
3. Will let others chime in
4. Not needed
5. Will let others chime in