+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Thanks, I just did the same. Hope they don’t find any errors.

The pickup/drop off charge is ridiculous. For SC they we’re initially quoting me $180 allegedly because I live in a “remote area” (I don’t), but I challenged them and they “discovered” a lower price of $79 with my pickup address as the nearest purolator branch. Today they charged me $73 (should be 30-35x2). I bet there’s some corruption happening. $10 extra per application for 50,000 a year makes a lot of money for the “office secret Santa fund” :D
Charge for Purolator pick and drop off is ridiculous. I have checked online, a envelope package delivered within Ontario is less than 10$ from Canada Post (from my Postal code to Brampton BLS is 6$) . But no, we need to pay more than 3X the price to send/receive envelopes from BLS. It is what it is. I have applied for my OCI so hopefully dont have to deal with BLS for the forceable future.

kbi911

Feb 25, 2019
I started my OCI application, however i am confused now on the document upload section, what all documents should i upload? only those are written on BLS checklist or mentioned here? Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada : OCI-documents to be uploaded (cgitoronto.gov.in) - Does the marriage certificate required? - consider all family members (two daughters and my wife) are doing this together.

Also do we have to do DD for fees, or we can pay at BLS just like we did for passport surrender certificate?

Last edited:

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
I have a small property in India.
And, Up on acquiring citizenship can I still possess the property with me or do I need to transfer or sell it?
What is the procedure?

Last edited:

novoiceplus

Star Member
May 4, 2020
I have a small property in India.
And, Up on acquiring citizenship can I still possess that property with me or do I need to transfer or sell it?

No need to change ownership as the property was owned by you before acquiring other nationality

If you are planning to get OCI you can still buy sell any residential or commercial property going forward

Only thing you can’t do is buy new agricultural property. You can still sell your existing agricultural property like any other person would do.

Reactions: mtlcanada

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
No need to change ownership as the property was owned by you before acquiring other nationality

If you are planning to get OCI you can still buy sell any residential or commercial property going forward

Only thing you can’t do is buy new agricultural property. You can still sell your existing agricultural property like any other person would do.
Thanks!
I’m clear on that, that I can still buy a new property except agricultural land. However,
For an existing property is there any need or procedure where I would need to inform Indian embassy about this or these existing property will remain intact on my name even though I have acquired citizenship?
Thanks again for clarifying.
Also is there any website/docs which confirms this to former Indian nationals.

Last edited:
Reactions: novoiceplus

novoiceplus

Star Member
May 4, 2020
Thanks!
I’m clear on that, that I can still buy a new property except agricultural land. However,
For an existing property is there any need or procedure where I would need to inform Indian embassy about this or these existing property will remain intact on my name even though I have acquired citizenship?
Thanks again for clarifying.
Also is there any website/docs which confirms this to former Indian nationals.

No you don’t need to inform anyone but if you want to confirm yourself call your nearest FRRO in India. They will be happy to assist.

I had multiple properties and i took my citizenship in2021 and since have bought some and sold some without any issue.

So confirming from experience

Reactions: mtlcanada

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I started my OCI application, however i am confused now on the document upload section, what all documents should i upload? only those are written on BLS checklist or mentioned here? Consulate General of India, Toronto, Canada : OCI-documents to be uploaded (cgitoronto.gov.in) - Does the marriage certificate required? - consider all family members (two daughters and my wife) are doing this together.

Also do we have to do DD for fees, or we can pay at BLS just like we did for passport surrender certificate?
Docs for Adults: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10335797
Docs for Kids: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10374728

payment of $345/OCI application has to be made by draft if applying within Toronto jurisdiction. This draft has to be made for Consulate General of India, Toronto
Rest of the payment can be done by exact cash or debit if you are applying in person

Reactions: kbi911

mtlcanada

Star Member
May 17, 2019
No you don’t need to inform anyone but if you want to confirm yourself call your nearest FRRO in India. They will be happy to assist.

I had multiple properties and i took my citizenship in2021 and since have bought some and sold some without any issue.

So confirming from experience
Thank you so much!!!

Reactions: novoiceplus

Bob_pat

Jul 30, 2023
Hello all
I have submitted my re-new of OCI @ BLS (miscellaneous services) on 19 July and on 27 July my application has been acknowledged at Toronto mission as per OCI status report. So currently my application status is UNDER - PROCESS so if some one can please tell me what will be my next status and how long UNDER - PROCESS status will remain.
thank you for your time and reply.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Unfortunately Canada Post money order has a limitation. Will try bank draft instead.
In case it helps anyone, my Bank had no issues with respect to name length. And you may be able to get free drafts with certain account tiers. So avoid Canada Post money order unless you have no other option.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I may have made a grave error in my application. My Indian and Canadian passports have the same name but For the question, have you ever changed your name/had any other name, I said yes as my birth name was different. I mentioned the birth name but didn't include an affidavit as I didn't want to complicate matters.

Is affidavit only required when there is a difference in name between Indian and Canadian passport? Or should I have included it? Will they reject my application?

Last edited:

h3xx_r_d

Star Member
May 10, 2019
It’s been a week since I submitted my OCI application in person at BLS Toronto. The status on the BLS website is “Processing at Consulate General” but on the OCI website it says “no such record found”.

Does it take longer to see an update on the OCI portal?
Finally got an update on the OCI portal today with “Under process”. Submitted in-person on July 21 at BLS Toronto.

Reactions: pHrankee

pHrankee

Star Member
Dec 20, 2017
Finally got an update on the OCI portal today with “Under process”. Submitted in-person on July 21 at BLS Toronto.
Thank you. Looks like it take about 10 calendar days. I submitted on July 25th and hoping to get an update around Friday.
Just to confirm, the file number is the the one starting with CANTxxxx correct? ( This is for Toronto)

Punjabiboy4927

Star Member
Oct 23, 2012
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
16-11-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2012
LANDED..........
08-12-12
Is it true that your OCI application will be rejected if you are a federal government employee?