+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Abbas,
What is shown, in your case, in the OCI card itself? I see that state is not printed, just the city. wondering whether that's the case with everyone.

Another thing noticed is, though my son is a minor, it still says "LIFE LONG". Does it mean it never expires and no need to apply again after certain age or on current passport expiry?

Also, happy to share that finally received my son's OCI (after Purolator lost his first OCI card). It took 6 months and multiple visits (to BLS) to get the new OCI card.
On the OCI card I just checked it says PoB as Mumbai
On the OCI website: https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome under Miscellaneous services you can take a look at the following:
  • To avail Miscellaneous Service, you must be an existing OCI Card Holder
  • In case the existing OCI card holder wishes to update/upload the latest information about his latest passport, Change in address/Occupation/Contact details, the OCI card holder can select the option/(s) as given below and upload the latest photograph and requisite documents. These details shall be updated into the OCI system records and an acknowledgement shall be shared with OCI card holder on his/her registered email ID. The services under these categories are gratis in nature:
    1. In case issuance of new Passport Details (each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age)
    2. In case change in address/occupation/contact details.
  • These Misc services can be availed for re-issuance of OCI Card as well as updating the information time to time as mentioned in the MHA notification dated 16th April, 2021. The re-issuance of new OCI card will be applicable for following categories:
    1. In case of issuance of new passport (once a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age.)
    2. In case of change of personal particulars viz. name, father's name, nationality etc.
    3. In case of loss/damage of OCI registration certificate.
  • In case of Renunciation of OCI Card.
So in short my interpretation is, that card/card# will remain the same, but as long as the above changes, it has to be updated and the 5/6 pages the booklet has will be endorsed with these changes. Hence the life "Lifelong"

Reactions: wink
Jun 7, 2021
Dear All,
Asking on behalf of my relatives who are residing in Montreal. Her Husband has already acquired OCI, Wife is applying for OCI . Wife is indian by Birth and applying as relation with root indian as Self. In such a case, kindly advise whether her spouse OCI and Spouse's canada passport also needed to be uploaded?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Dear All,
Asking on behalf of my relatives who are residing in Montreal. Her Husband has already acquired OCI, Wife is applying for OCI . Wife is indian by Birth and applying as relation with root indian as Self. In such a case, kindly advise whether her spouse OCI and Spouse's canada passport also needed to be uploaded?
Yes please include relevant spouse details on the form and supporting documents

acecooldude

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Everyone, I had a very bad experience with BLS Brampton for the OCI applications. I was forced to utilize courier service for return of originals. While I was repeatedly asking them to share a proof for the mandatory courier for return of originals, I was threaten that your application will not be processed and you can take it back. After repeated attempts to deny the courier service, they convinced the family member to sign the optional courier service document.

In fact, they blatantly changed for 6 prints of documents. @$6 per page

They harassed my family to make take unnecessary decisions. If anyone had similar experience, can please guide on the next steps that would be very helpful. They have charged a huge amount of money on my debit card. Is there a way to dispute or request for refund. TIA
Wanted to follow up if someone can share their experience

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
@abbas.pasha or someone else, please help with a few questions I have regarding OCI for my child (Canadian passport holder born last month). I have an appointment with BLS Toronto for Saturday.

1. Demand Draft Question: I have to make a demand draft for $345 my child's OCI application. Should it be for Consulate General of India, Toronto as per page 4 of this link (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf) or for CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA TORONTO as per page 1 of this link (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/OCI-Form-Filling-Instructions.pdf). This 2nd link also says I need a DD for BLS for $7.4 but I am not sure if that is correct, can someone confirm?

2. Checklist Question: Should both parents (my husband and me) sign on the checklist and which is the correct checklist that BLS wants, is it this one? - https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf

3. Instructions copies: Someone told me that BLS asked them to print "Instructions" as well. Are these the instructions the same as the ones behind the application or is there some other instructions which we have to also print?

4. Documents to carry: I am carrying all originals (Child passport, birth cert, both parents passports, marriage cert, COPR, PR cards, driving licenses), all attested copies, NOC, application form, checklist, demand draft, instruction copies and photos. Is there some document I am missing here?

Any other tips and tricks or if I am missing something, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!
Hi. Will try to answer your questions:-
1. DD should be for CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA -TORONTO This is exactly what is pasted inside BLS center. BLS fee can be paid via Debit card since you are visiting in person.
2. Yes this is the checklist. Print fill and sign only page1.
3. Sounds weird, if you think you can manage without that, do so. I did not print those pages.
4. Please note that you should aware of all the rules, BLS agent will try the best to find fault with your submission (e.g. photos not upto specification) Only your confidence and knowledge can save you from them charging you extra money or even worse, ask you to come again.

cssa

Feb 19, 2018
@abbas.pasha
Hi Abbas
I submitted my OCI application yesterday in Vancouver. When I'm trying to track it today in OCI status inquiry website it says "No such record found".
In bls website it shows under process
How long does it take for the tracker on the OCI website to become active?

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@abbas.pasha
Hi Abbas
I submitted my OCI application yesterday in Vancouver. When I'm trying to track it today in OCI status inquiry website it says "No such record found".
It takes a few days for it to show on the OCI website. Check within 4-5 days of your submission and you maybe able to see the updates. Good part is OCI process through Vancouver is considered quick with Toronto jurisdiction being the slowest

Reactions: americanidiot

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
@abbas.pasha
Hi Abbas
Usually 2-3 days after you submit, the OCI website should show the date of acknowledgment.

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
Thank you so much. Few more questions:

1) during Indian passport surrender stage I should ask for additional Hard copy of the photos?
2) If I take click the pic by my phone do I need to resize it for to meets the Mbs, Size (dimensions of the photo)?
3) same is the case for signature. Is there any specfic size i need to scan it.
4) how about "foreign Citizenship Certificate/card" they will keep it.

Thank you
Regards,
1. They give 2 copies of photo and charge ~ $15. If you need more you can ask them and they will charge you the similar amount. Its upto you, but I believe the requirement still is for 1 photo each for surrender and OCI. Applicants who have recently submitted can chime in
2. Yes you will need to resize it, but can do with your phone or use any free third party online app.. I had a iPhone and clicked it cropped using the standard iPhone photo edit app, uploaded it on the OCI website
3. OCI website https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome in which you create the application mentions it you can refer.. Sign it, scan it, upload it. The OCI section in which you upload the photo and signature has a crop tool and it can be useful for the final cropping.. I personally never followed this guideline, I uploaded the clear image and used the OCI cropping tool to align the photo and signature and it prompted that specs are good...
OCI Image Upload/ Re-upload
  • The height and width of the Applicant Photo must be equal.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 200 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 1500 pixels (height).
  • The height and width of the Signature Photo must have aspect ratio 1:3.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 67 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 500 pixels (height).
4. BLS only will keep (if they decide to make money on you) the Indian passport/Indian surrender certificate. This is an Indian org they have no authority to keep your Canadian govt, issued documents such as Canadian passport/citizenship certificate
Thank you once agin.

could you please copy paste the DRAFT letter as an example for below (if possible entire format to see how it looks like):
"Professional Details of the applicant" "(g) Professional Details of the applicant:
Please enclose a letter mentioning your profession / occupation details in Canada."

Also, do we need to sign the letter and it has to be printed on plain paper and then scan it?

Thank you
Regards

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
It takes a few days for it to show on the OCI website. Check within 4-5 days of your submission and you maybe able to see the updates. Good part is OCI process through Vancouver is considered quick with Toronto jurisdiction being the slowest
Yeah @cssa - it took 29 days from application to getting the OCI delivered in Vancouver. Someone else had a similar timeline. It's a better BLS office AND it's quicker to process too.