+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Jun 4, 2023
@abbas.pasha or someone else, please help with a few questions I have regarding OCI for my child (Canadian passport holder born last month). I have an appointment with BLS Toronto for Saturday.

1. Demand Draft Question: I have to make a demand draft for $345 my child's OCI application. Should it be for Consulate General of India, Toronto as per page 4 of this link (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf) or for CONSULATE GENERAL OF INDIA TORONTO as per page 1 of this link (https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/OCI-Form-Filling-Instructions.pdf). This 2nd link also says I need a DD for BLS for $7.4 but I am not sure if that is correct, can someone confirm?

2. Checklist Question: Should both parents (my husband and me) sign on the checklist and which is the correct checklist that BLS wants, is it this one? - https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf

3. Instructions copies: Someone told me that BLS asked them to print "Instructions" as well. Are these the instructions the same as the ones behind the application or is there some other instructions which we have to also print?

4. Documents to carry: I am carrying all originals (Child passport, birth cert, both parents passports, marriage cert, COPR, PR cards, driving licenses), all attested copies, NOC, application form, checklist, demand draft, instruction copies and photos. Is there some document I am missing here?

Any other tips and tricks or if I am missing something, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

HMO

Jun 18, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/warsaw
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2014
Doc's Request.
------
Nomination.....
21-01-2015
AOR Received.
26-02-2015
IELTS Request
submitted with docs
File Transfer...
process started on 21 April 2015 and SLU 24 April 2015
Med's Request
09-05-2015
Med's Done....
21-05-2015 & TLU 27 May 2015
Interview........
------
Passport Req..
DM 06 Aug 2015 & PPR 06 Aug 2015 , PP submitted 10 Aug 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Passport collected on 20 Aug 2015 & Visa issue 04 Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Jan/Feb 2016
1. They give 2 copies of photo and charge ~ $15. If you need more you can ask them and they will charge you the similar amount. Its upto you, but I believe the requirement still is for 1 photo each for surrender and OCI. Applicants who have recently submitted can chime in
2. Yes you will need to resize it, but can do with your phone or use any free third party online app.. I had a iPhone and clicked it cropped using the standard iPhone photo edit app, uploaded it on the OCI website
3. OCI website https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome in which you create the application mentions it you can refer.. Sign it, scan it, upload it. The OCI section in which you upload the photo and signature has a crop tool and it can be useful for the final cropping.. I personally never followed this guideline, I uploaded the clear image and used the OCI cropping tool to align the photo and signature and it prompted that specs are good...
OCI Image Upload/ Re-upload
  • The height and width of the Applicant Photo must be equal.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 200 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 1500 pixels (height).
  • The height and width of the Signature Photo must have aspect ratio 1:3.
  • The minimum dimensions are 200 pixels (width) x 67 pixels (height).
  • The maximum dimensions are 1500 pixels (width) x 500 pixels (height).
4. BLS only will keep (if they decide to make money on you) the Indian passport/Indian surrender certificate. This is an Indian org they have no authority to keep your Canadian govt, issued documents such as Canadian passport/citizenship certificate
Thank you so much :)

Reactions: abbas.pasha

shimnui1

Jun 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Question regarding photo. I understand for Passport Surrender application, the physical photo needs to be pasted on the application form. But for OCI application, the photo & signature uploaded online are automatically transferred to the printed application form. Do we have to paste the OCI physical photo somewhere else as well or just send it along with the OCI application package? @abbas.pasha bhai or anyone can clarify, how it worked? Thank you. :)

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Question regarding photo. I understand for Passport Surrender application, the physical photo needs to be pasted on the application form. But for OCI application, the photo & signature uploaded online are automatically transferred to the printed application form. Do we have to paste the OCI physical photo somewhere else as well or just send it along with the OCI application package? @abbas.pasha bhai or anyone can clarify, how it worked? Thank you. :)
Yes, you do not need to paste the physical photo on OCI form, the BLS agent usually sticks it on the application once details are verified, so for postal applications - just send it the envelope.

damlemadhur

Jun 5, 2023
Hello,
I have a question re "Place of Birth" for my daughter. She was born in the UK and in her Indian Passport, place of birth is Brent London, United Kingdom. While in her Canadian Passport, place of birth is London, GBR (Great Britain). Would I need to make an affidavit as the place of birth is not exact same?
Note : Brent is a Borough/Municipality within the City of London.
Could anyone with similar experience please advice?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,
I have a question re "Place of Birth" for my daughter. She was born in the UK and in her Indian Passport, place of birth is Brent London, United Kingdom. While in her Canadian Passport, place of birth is London, GBR (Great Britain). Would I need to make an affidavit as the place of birth is not exact same?
Note : Brent is a Borough/Municipality within the City of London.
Could anyone with similar experience please advice?
Did you get certificate of registration for birth of Indian citizen (or something similar) from Indian high commission in the UK at the time of birth? What does that mention?
Affidavit may come in handy I had a similar issue with my daughter’s place of birth and I got an affidavit done see the post here
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10311406

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I would say the same what @eparker42 mention in his post. Don’t paste it just it include in your application

damlemadhur

Jun 5, 2023
Did you get certificate of registration for birth of Indian citizen (or something similar) from Indian high commission in the UK at the time of birth? What does that mention?
Affidavit may come in handy I had a similar issue with my daughter’s place of birth and I got an affidavit done see the post here
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10311406
registration for birth of Indian citizen mentions "London Borough of Brent, United Kingdom"

itzparth

Mar 29, 2018
Hello friends!
Question: Is the marriage certificate from Ontario valid or do I need to get it attested by Indian embassy?
Thanks!

g.ch

Jun 4, 2023
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/surrender-certificate-faq-s/
I acquired Indian Canadian citizenship in 2005 and had submitted Indian passports to Consulate which were stamped cancelled and returned to me. Am I required to get a surrender certificate?

Indian passports of those acquiring foreign citizenship prior to 31 May, 2010 used to be cancelled and no Surrender Certificate was issued. In case they wish to apply for OCI card then they need to show the proof of cancelled passport at the time of submission of OCI application.
Thank you!

acecooldude

Jun 27, 2017
Hi Everyone, I had a very bad experience with BLS Brampton for the OCI applications. I was forced to utilize courier service for return of originals. While I was repeatedly asking them to share a proof for the mandatory courier for return of originals, I was threaten that your application will not be processed and you can take it back. After repeated attempts to deny the courier service, they convinced the family member to sign the optional courier service document.

In fact, they blatantly changed for 6 prints of documents. @$6 per page

They harassed my family to make take unnecessary decisions. If anyone had similar experience, can please guide on the next steps that would be very helpful. They have charged a huge amount of money on my debit card. Is there a way to dispute or request for refund. TIA

wink

May 25, 2021
I had the following on my application

In my Indian passport PoB: Mumbai, MS
In my Canadian passport PoB: Mumbai, INDIA
On the OCI application form it comes as Mumbai, Maharashtra , INDIA

I did not have make a affidavit. I dont think in your case as well you need a affidavit
Hi Abbas,
What is shown, in your case, in the OCI card itself? I see that state is not printed, just the city. wondering whether that's the case with everyone.

Another thing noticed is, though my son is a minor, it still says "LIFE LONG". Does it mean it never expires and no need to apply again after certain age or on current passport expiry?

Also, happy to share that finally received my son's OCI (after Purolator lost his first OCI card). It took 6 months and multiple visits (to BLS) to get the new OCI card.

Last edited: