+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am planning to call today but they don't always have a clear answer. And neither does their website, thanks for the link tho. I'm hoping someone with a first hand experience can answer that.
This is what I read on their Vancouver portal popup

In addition to postal submission, Appointments and Walk in modes of submission are open at all BLS centers. In all four centers of Vancouver Jurisdiction, Walk in applications can be submitted between 8:00AM to 1:00PM from Monday to Friday.

Reactions: RJP0191

infidel

Dec 17, 2014
Guys
I just submitted my application for Canadian passport and dont want to lose time with getting the OCI. What are my next steps in terms of passport surrender and OCI application while I await my new Canadian passport? I dont want to lose time in waiting for OCI as I am planning a trip to india later this year. Any direction, suggestion, tips will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: akhileshtekchand

aphermix

Jan 5, 2017
Guys
I just submitted my application for Canadian passport and dont want to lose time with getting the OCI. What are my next steps in terms of passport surrender and OCI application while I await my new Canadian passport? I dont want to lose time in waiting for OCI as I am planning a trip to india later this year. Any direction, suggestion, tips will be greatly appreciated.
You can immediately apply for surrender certificate. You don't have to wait for Canadian passport for that. Just write an explanation letter stating you have not received your passport. You should apply through BLS. Check BLS website, especially the checklist and booklet available here (for Toronto Jurisdiction):

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
You can immediately apply for surrender certificate. You don't have to wait for Canadian passport for that. Just write an explanation letter stating you have not received your passport. You should apply through BLS. Check BLS website, especially the checklist and booklet available here (for Toronto Jurisdiction):

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/pdf/Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf
Apparently BLS has changed rules.. They need Canadian passport for Surrender of Indian citizenship

Reactions: onkar112

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other

this is definitely incorrect for Brampton n Toronto; i and a friend experienced it first hand. they need a passport. but Vancouver it seems is taking these declarations (I remember someone in the forum confirming this first hand).

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Guys
assuming you are in Brampton or Toronto, where they need a CA passport first, this is your best bet....

1 - book a surrender cert appointment, say you're getting it for 2 weeks from now
2 - if your CA PP arrives earlier, do a walk-in submission (allowed); in any case you have your appointment booked as a safety net
3 - SC takes a month or so. without waiting all the way till your SC arrives, book an OCI appointment say around 2 weeks after submitting SC application
4 - repeat step 2 if your SC arrives earlier
5 - don't opt for courier service at any stage; this could save you 2 days each time, apart from saving $$

Reactions: infidel

msatishxp

Jul 30, 2013
this is definitely incorrect for Brampton n Toronto; i and a friend experienced it first hand. they need a passport. but Vancouver it seems is taking these declarations (I remember someone in the forum confirming this first hand).
I applied for SC without Canadian passport through postal application to BLS Toronto. But that was in January of this year.

Aug 16, 2021
Date of submission -21 Feb walk- in Brampton
Applicant Name
File Reference Number
Date Of Acknowledgment10-MAR-2023
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- Number
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSEDOn31-MAR-2023
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHIOn31-MAR-2023
Document received AtTORONTOOn31-MAR-2023

Where can I check delivery status

abbas.pasha