+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Hi, i am applying for my first time canadian passport after oath. in the given names, Indian passport have first name+fathers name e:g: Neha Ashok Gupta. as a result all other canadian IDs, including PR card etc have the same format. i want my canadian passport to exclude fathers name. so given name would just be Neha. would this require a formal name change. or will it be ok if i just filled 'Neha' in the given name section.

secondly if the canadian passport reflects Neha Gupta, Indian passport shows as Neha Ashok Gupta, would that cause issues while applying for OCI. since live alone and dont know too many people here, i want to avoid the running around to service ontario and the extra paperwork. thank you for your advise
Any documentation will have to be similar to your existing PR / provincial ID. If you need to change the given name from existing government documentation, you will have to follow the paperwork related to same. If there is a difference in given name in Canadian vs your cancelled Indian passport, you will need to send the name change paperwork supporting this while applying for OCI.

preet.tech89

Jul 12, 2019
Hey Folks, I have been searching the thread about OCI and came to this one. Is there any post/thread/forum where all the steps are mentioned about complete process (from surrendering the passport to OCI card) in some bullet points or notes as it would be easy to understand the whole process? Thank you

Anyone can provide inputs here? Thanks a lot!

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
What documents need to be uploaded online? I do not see any options to upload surrender certificate, address, etc.
Also, regarding fees, 1 demand draft of $ 345 for OCI. And what about the payment to BLS? do we need separate demand draft or it can be paid by credit / debit card at BLS?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
What documents need to be uploaded online? I do not see any options to upload surrender certificate, address, etc.
Also, regarding fees, 1 demand draft of $ 345 for OCI. And what about the payment to BLS? do we need separate demand draft or it can be paid by credit / debit card at BLS?
Combine the following pdf for it to be uploaded:
-Previous Indian Passport for Self: Old Indian passport (first and last page)and surrender certificate
-Current Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back)
-Employment Letter/Work Letter
-Spouse Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back) (if you are married)

Draft for Consulate General of India, Toronto for $345 and
Payment to BLS can be done by cash or debit card if you submitting in person. This payment will vary depending who you come across on the BLS center counter... (read this: https://cleansystem4.wordpress.com/2023/01/11/oci-process-for-canadian-citizens/)

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
-Previous Indian Passport for Self: Old Indian passport (first and last page)and surrender certificate
-Current Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back)
-Spouse Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back) (if you are married)

Payment to BLS can be done by cash or debit card if you submitting in person. This payment will vary depending who you come across on the BLS center counter... (read this: https://cleansystem4.wordpress.com/2023/01/11/oci-process-for-canadian-citizens/)
Thank you very much. And what about address proof?

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Only problem with combining all these docs with quality is file size, as there are limits on that.

Mum2Can

Apr 1, 2021
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
01-10-2020
Med's Done....
13-11-2020
Me & My Spouse are PR Holder, in Dec-end I have submitted my US Born Kid (4 months old) OCI application and today received an email, which says
"Application form Errors" and they are sending back application because of below reasons:
1. Copy of current valid status in Canada required (PR/Work Permit/Study Permit)
- I have already provided his Visitor record with 1 yr validity (Provided by Immigration officer at US-Canada Land border)
- Spoke with BLS cust care, as per him Visitor record is not a valid status but I can provide his PR AoR letter

2. Application status in Canada must be older than 6 months
- My son came to Canada in Dec-2022, I don’t see such requirements mentioned anywhere on BLS website or Consulate website.
- Spoke with cust care, as per him this information is not available on website but it is mandatory for non-Canadian citizen applying for OCI should wait for 6 months once land in Canada.

2nd point is really surprised me, If I know this before hand through checklist or BLS website I might not applied for OCI. Just taking money. I have wasted my pick up & drop off fees.

Please let me know if anyone has similar experience or any advice how should I proceed?
Just for everyone's awareness, my US born minor kid (4 months old) OCI postal application was rejected earlier due to below reasons:
1. Copy of current valid status in Canada required (PR/Work Permit/Study Permit)
2. Application status in Canada must be older than 6 months

I got walk-in appointment in this week and surprisingly they have accepted the application :) and informed postal application rejection reason seems incorrect. The additionally they took kid mother Indian original passport [not sure why, looks like guy was confused by seeing mother before marriage name on kid US birth certificate vs mother after marriage name on passport]

The conclusion is there is no such requirement "Application status in Canada must be older than 6 months" applying US born kid OCI from Canada.

niravrocky

Oct 23, 2021
OCI Timeline of minor

Type - Postal application to Brampton
Picked up by Purolator - Dec 13 2022
Email from bls about application received - Dec 16
Bls site -
Application date - Dec 20
Application status Under process - On Dec 20
Application status Processing at consulate general - On Dec 21

Oci site -
File Reference Number - CANT###
Date Of Acknowledgment 12-JAN-2023
Registration Status at Mission TORONTO
OCI Application Status UNDER-PROCESS

Thanks folks for sharing timelines as I was relating our timelines to posts here and that looked similar.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello.
For an Indian born minor, what documents need to be uploaded for fresh OCI?
This is what I uploaded. I know different members will have different suggestions...

-Previous Indian Passport: Old Indian passport (first and last page),surrender certificate for minor & parents and Minor's birth certificate(incase minor is born outside of India/Canada in that case certificate attested by HCI/CGI in that country should be included) (since the file size became bigger than 1000kb. I ended up using an online pdf compressor tool to reduce the file size)
-Current Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back) for minor & parents (since the file size became bigger than 1000kb. I ended up using an online pdf compressor tool to reduce the file size)
- Marriage Certificate: Marriage Certificate of Parents.

Reactions: Vish7

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
This is what I uploaded. I know different members will have different suggestions...

-Previous Indian Passport: Old Indian passport (first and last page),surrender certificate for minor & parents and Minor's birth certificate(incase minor is born outside of India/Canada in that case certificate attested by HCI/CGI in that country should be included) (since the file size became bigger than 1000kb. I ended up using an online pdf compressor tool to reduce the file size)
-Current Passport: Canadian Passport (first page) and citizenship certificate(front and back) for minor & parents (since the file size became bigger than 1000kb. I ended up using an online pdf compressor tool to reduce the file size)
- Marriage Certificate: Marriage Certificate of Parents.
Thank you very much for all your help.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you very much for all your help.
My suggestion when you visit BLS center is to keep extra print outs of all documents for you, spouse and minor that maybe required.
Also keep enough blank papers in with you in case BLS asks you to provide a letter etc, else they will charge you $3 to $4 per page...

Reactions: Vish7

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Thank you Everyone for your help. I just completed all the application and will be going to submit n 14th January, Last question: I entered my actual marriage date in the Marriage registration field. My marriage certificate lists both the dates [actual marriage date and registered date]; I hope that is not an issue. Else I will need to fill in everything again. Please suggest.