+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Jan 10, 2023
I am submitting a postal application for OCI:- Kindly assist with the below questions

• Canadian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Indian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Citizenship certificate (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Surrender certificate (copy self-attested),
  • Proof of employment copy (Self Written Letter or from the company?)
  • Address proof (copy self-attested)
  • 2 drafts (How much for each draft and addressed to whom)
  • Application form
For photos does it need to be with a white background or not as its states differently in the BLS checklist vs OCI form instruction while filing the same??

For Minor born in Canada in addition to the above (Minus the Indian passport and surrender certificate)
  • Parents' proof of address (Copy Self-attested)
  • Marriage certificate (Copy Self-attested)
  • Birth certificate (Copy Self-attested)

• Any other document needs for the Minor application or any I may have missed for the Adult application as well, kindly add. Thank you

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I am submitting a postal application for OCI:- Kindly assist with the below questions

• Canadian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Indian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Citizenship certificate (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Surrender certificate (copy self-attested),
  • Proof of employment copy (Self Written Letter or from the company?)
  • Address proof (copy self-attested)
  • 2 drafts (How much for each draft and addressed to whom)
  • Application form
For photos does it need to be with a white background or not as its states differently in the BLS checklist vs OCI form instruction while filing the same??

For Minor born in Canada in addition to the above (Minus the Indian passport and surrender certificate)
  • Parents' proof of address (Copy Self-attested)
  • Marriage certificate (Copy Self-attested)
  • Birth certificate (Copy Self-attested)

• Any other document needs for the Minor application or any I may have missed for the Adult application as well, kindly add. Thank you
For postal applications originals of the documents (e.g. passports, citizenship certificate surrender certificates, birth certificates, etc) are not required
Only include self attested one.

Draft should be for $345 per applicant. Suggest you to make individual drafts.

Please crosscheck the checklist to get the exact name to whom these drafts are required to be made and the other instructions.

guri20cheema

Jul 17, 2018
Hi All,

I previously recollect reading somewhere that the photographs should have a white background and applicant should be wearing dark-coloured clothing.

However, just reading the instructions before filling OCI form now and it specifically states background should NOT be white.

"Photograph to be affixed on the application should be a square shape of size not less than 51*51mm (with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph."

So what background colour is acceptable?

The checklist PDF on BLS website still says "Background –Background should be plain white colored without borders ".

Checklist_Information_Booklet_for_OCI_2jun22NN.pdf (blsindia-canada.com)

Where you got the "not white" info from?

Jan 10, 2023
For postal applications originals of the documents (e.g. passports, citizenship certificate surrender certificates, birth certificates, etc) are not required
Only include self attested one.

Draft should be for $345 per applicant. Suggest you to make individual drafts.

Please crosscheck the checklist to get the exact name to whom these drafts are required to be made and the other instructions.
Thank you for the prompt response

I read that the draft where $345 +another for BLS service for some amount which I am not sure. Do you have any idea regarding the same :)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you for the prompt response

I read that the draft where $345 +another for BLS service for some amount which I am not sure. Do you have any idea regarding the same :)
BLS Toronto Jurisdiction... Please check if your applying either through Ottawa or Vancouver Jurisdiction..

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/oci-fresh.php

Postal Applications:
Two separate payments required of OCI application as per the direction of CGI.
  1. Draft or money order in favor of "Consulate General of India – Toronto"
    (Note: Fees payable under this draft / money is for Consular fees + ICWF Charge only).
  2. In favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc. via
  3. Kindly Provide Demand Draft/Money order only in favor of BLS International Services Canada Inc., which includes BLS Service charges + Return courier fees, to send back your processed application.
  4. Return courier fees to be added in Demand Draft only if you have not paid online
  5. Kindly do not enclose any cash in your postal application envelope. BLS will not be responsible for the loss of cash or the postal orders.
Processing Fee to be paid to BLS is: $7.4+ Courier fee

Reactions: manas.kapoor10

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Thank you! Shall I upload the same online under employer letter section?
I don't understand why do they need Employment letter to issue OCI card. Is there a reason for it that I am not aware of?
Please upload the your own document for online application.

Reactions: yspddr414

guri20cheema

Jul 17, 2018
This is on the OCI application portal regarding the photo being on plain light background (not white)
Alright, you referring to "Instructions For Filling Application Form" for new oci registration. My friend submitted white background photo 2 months ago as per the BLS checklist and it was accepted. Still, no harm to check with BLS. Only if they manage their websites and information properly, this whole process can be a lot smoother.

sayedsameer84

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Alright, you referring to "Instructions For Filling Application Form" for new oci registration. My friend submitted white background photo 2 months ago as per the BLS checklist and it was accepted. Still, no harm to check with BLS. Only if they manage their websites and information properly, this whole process can be a lot smoother.
Exactly ... checklist says white background , while instructions for online application form says not white! Utter madness!

Reactions: manas.kapoor10

phoenix232

Apr 3, 2015
TO BE OR NOT TO BE ( WHITE BACKGROUND ) THAT IS THE QUESTION

jokes apart, I had all my photographs clicked from same place and with white background. Be it for citizenship, surrender, OCI or Entry visa. All were accepted.

Reactions: sayedsameer84