+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

joyboy0056

Dec 16, 2022
I am submitting a postal application for OCI:- Kindly assist with the below questions

• Canadian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Indian passport (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Citizenship certificate (Do I need to provide original + copy self-attested),
  • Surrender certificate (copy self-attested),
  • Proof of employment copy (Self Written Letter or from the company?)
  • Address proof (copy self-attested)
  • 2 drafts (How much for each draft and addressed to whom)
  • Application form
For photos does it need to be with a white background or not as its states differently in the BLS checklist vs OCI form instruction while filing the same??

For Minor born in Canada in addition to the above (Minus the Indian passport and surrender certificate)
  • Parents' proof of address (Copy Self-attested)
  • Marriage certificate (Copy Self-attested)
  • Birth certificate (Copy Self-attested)

• Any other document needs for the Minor application or any I may have missed for the Adult application as well, kindly add. Thank you
It depends on what jurisdictoin, for ottawa, yes you need to send orignal passports both, orignal certificate of citizen ,( original documents should aslso include their copies as well) remaining docs just submit copies (should self attest, but i didnt self attested any document, they still accepted it,

minor docs no idea. but be sure to follow the pdf document (checklist) on bls site and should be from jurisdiction where you applying.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hi, i am applying for my first time canadian passport after oath. in the given names, Indian passport have first name+fathers name e:g: Neha Ashok Gupta. as a result all other canadian IDs, including PR card etc have the same format. i want my canadian passport to exclude fathers name. so given name would just be Neha. would this require a formal name change. or will it be ok if i just filled 'Neha' in the given name section.

secondly if the canadian passport reflects Neha Gupta, Indian passport shows as Neha Ashok Gupta, would that cause issues while applying for OCI. since live alone and dont know too many people here, i want to avoid the running around to service ontario and the extra paperwork. thank you for your advise

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Thank you!
Do I have to upload self attested copies of all the documents online or just the scanned copies?
Just scanned copies of your documents as per checklist.
for hard copy submission - self attested (Signed/Dated)

Reactions: yspddr414

Vimalan

Star Member
Jul 21, 2019
Status Update

Walk-in submission at Toronto BLS29-Nov-22
Date Of Acknowledgment16-Dec-22
Registration Status at MissionTORONTO
OCI- NumberXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Documents Printing StatusPROCESSED10-Jan-23
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHI11-Jan-23
Document received AtTORONTO11-Jan-23
Counter to BLS deliverWaiting
Passport ready for collectionWaiting
OCI received through PurolatorWaiting

canadalove85

Aug 4, 2017
BLS tracking status shows "Processing at Consulate" .

How do i check the status in OCI services website? I used the Status Inquiry feature and it says "No such record found" after inputting the details. Is there any other way to track. I have opted for notifications by paying at BLS but haven't got anything yet

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLS tracking status shows "Processing at Consulate" .

How do i check the status in OCI services website? I used the Status Inquiry feature and it says "No such record found" after inputting the details. Is there any other way to track. I have opted for notifications by paying at BLS but haven't got anything yet
You will be able to check status on OCI portal approx 2.5-3 weeks after its sent to consulate.

Reactions: canadalove85

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Can anyone please help understand what are the OCI & Renunciation time frames for the Toronto area? Thanks in advance!
Surrender - 1 month
OCI - 2 to 3 months
add few additional weeks to both if you are submitting application by post

Surrender has to be done first and only once you receive surrender certificate you can apply for OCI

Last edited:
Reactions: kish1910

It depends on what jurisdictoin, for ottawa, yes you need to send orignal passports both, orignal certificate of citizen ,( original documents should aslso include their copies as well) remaining docs just submit copies (should self attest, but i didnt self attested any document, they still accepted it,

minor docs no idea. but be sure to follow the pdf document (checklist) on bls site and should be from jurisdiction where you applying.
For Ottawa postal, no need to send originals at all. Only self-attested copies. (I just applied there that way and got OCI Mission Date of ACK successfully last month)