+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

razi94

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
The surrender certificate is applicable only for Indian-origin foreign nationals and does not apply to your daughter. A surrender certificate is given to folks who surrender their Indian passport and renounce their Indian citizenship.
Thanks for your valid reply. Any idea any visa shoud we apply for? Our passports are enough for her visa right?

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Guys, a quick question.

How many photos do we need for renunciation and OCI applications? I am talking about hard copy photo, not jpeg.

Many thanks

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Guys, a quick question.

How many photos do we need for renunciation and OCI applications? I am talking about hard copy photo, not jpeg.

Many thanks
One each.

You will need to upload the same photo to the OCI Application as well. The photos for renunciation and OCI can be different though.

Reactions: i6evx5e8

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Can a Canadian citizen and resident apply for the surrender certificate and OCI while on holiday in USA?
No. I don't think you can. As per the OCI guidelines here (see note 2(f)(i)), you need to submit your status in the country. So while you are on holiday, you won't have a valid status. Of course, the USA may have different rules, so check with the mission you plan to apply with.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Can a Canadian citizen and resident apply for the surrender certificate and OCI while on holiday in USA?
You should be applying for any of these services only from your resident country not while you are on vacation. Only you can get some emergency passport services to enable you to travel and certainly not for anything else.
thats why many countries dont even renew your passport while on visit visa and just stamp some extension or give you 1 year passport to return to resident country.
You need address proof and resident proof.

You can start the surrender certificate process and leave. And then you can come back to apply for oci.

EFK123

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Guys I'm so confused and i have a major phobia with anything to do with CGI or BLS. I just want to surrender my passport and be done with it. I have no plans to travel to India yet, so might deal with Visa applications incase that ever happens.
Can someone please provide a step by step guide on how to post the surrender application from Toronto? I see many people suggesting walking at Brampton, but I don't want to deal with them in person- I've had horrible experiences with all BLS& CGIs and just can't try it lol.
Any help and advice will be great on what documents to send and the amount for demand draft (never done it) for 1 person. Just received Canadian passport if that helps.
Also, I've been trying for appointment but nothing seems to be open and no options at all after 31st May.

Last edited:
Reactions: trv_237

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Guys I'm so confused and i have a major phobia with anything to do with CGI or BLS. I just want to surrender my passport and be done with it. I have no plans to travel to India yet, so might deal with Visa applications incase that ever happens.
Can someone please provide a stab by step guide on how to post the surrender application from Toronto? I see many people suggesting walking at Brampton, but I don't want to deal with them in person- I've had horrible experiences with all CGIs and just can't try it lol.
Any help and advice will be great on what documents to send and the amount for demand draft (never done it) for 1 person. Just received Canadian passport if that helps.
Also, I've been trying for appointment but nothing seems to be open and no options at all after 31st May.
Um, you need BLS - no getting away from it.
At least, that's what I know.

By the way, I am also skeptical about BLS.

I found our CGI actually very reasonable and nice to deal with.

EFK123

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Um, you need BLS - no getting away from it.
At least, that's what I know.

By the way, I am also skeptical about BLS.

I found our CGI actually very reasonable and nice to deal with.
Yes sorry-I meant BLS/CGI all the same..bureaucracy everywhere. They've not been very good to me atleast in other countries so honestly that phobia is enough for me not to try in Canada.
Anyhow, I understand that it has to go through BLS, but I'd like to not meet someone in person if possible and avoid a 3 hour line up.

I thought I'd take a chance with appointment and get done with it, but nothing available. So looks like post may be my only choice that might work for me? If anyone has done surrender by post?

i6evx5e8

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
Yes sorry-I meant BLS/CGI all the same..bureaucracy everywhere. They've not been very good to me atleast in other countries so honestly that phobia is enough for me not to try in Canada.
Anyhow, I understand that it has to go through BLS, but I'd like to not meet someone in person if possible and avoid a 3 hour line up.

I thought I'd take a chance with appointment and get done with it, but nothing available. So looks like post may be my only choice that might work for me? If anyone has done surrender by post?
Many of other countries (like those guys down south) actually have VFS, not BLS.
VFS are actually better as per my experience.

EFK123

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Many of other countries (like those guys down south) actually have VFS, not BLS.
VFS are actually better as per my experience.
Agreed! The country I lived in had BLS for Indian passport related things.
Used VFS for other countries' visas and was always smooth and great experiences.

razi94

Star Member
Sep 5, 2019
Help!!!
I already applied for OCI for my minor daughter (Canadian citizen). It is still on processing status. As i have already booked the flight ticket for June 1st, I'm planning to take visa as plan b. Which visa should i apply for, Tourist visa or entry visa?

Krishna1989

May 20, 2021
OCI status -No records found .
BLS status - processing at consulate general since 8th April.
Really frustrating especially when we see surrey and other offices

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
Help!!!
I already applied for OCI for my minor daughter (Canadian citizen). It is still on processing status. As i have already booked the flight ticket for June 1st, I'm planning to take visa as plan b. Which visa should i apply for, Tourist visa or entry visa?
Entry Visa.