+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

tfox72

Star Member
Feb 20, 2022
@tfox72
I guess we are all frustrated. LOL.

Our journey in Canada has been tough from Outsider to PR to Citizenship to Surrender Indian citizenship to OCI. Spent years and year. (Don't get me started for US immigration, I have been in line for the US GC since last 13 years and no hope in the near future).

Who cares of us peasants. We can BS here all day and may not come to any conclusions. I hope Modi or Trudeau goes through our conversations and take their international policy decisions :) We know more than the whole cabinets of both countries. :)

LOL
Maybe Trudeau will see your posts, feel offended over 'chocolate boy' remark and become a sanghi, or whatever it is that will please Modi Indian bureaucrats! Maybe it will get through to him that the west doesn't like him. After all, we all know that land votes in this country and not people amirite? :D

He might even look at us ranting and grant visa on arrival for all Indians! Pretty soon, Indian passport will be the strongest for travel in the world (then we will wonder why we gave it up lol)! What a genius move by Modi Indian bureaucrats! Maybe the plan from Modi Indian bureaucrats is to have us ranting in forums after all!

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016
I did complete the online form and even have the bank draft ready with me, just waiting for my SC. I would suggest complete the online form, upload the photo, digital sign and other supporting documents. Then if possible walk in and submit.
Is there an upside to walking in vs sending it by post? Was thinking of using courier Purolator option.

Last edited:

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
this is a good question from @vivek.89 !!

Anyone here please could guide us or have experience doing this? Thank you in advance

CC: @dineshrehab @Hot2Cold @DigitalDestiny (useful to know also for all of us)
I have already filled and printed my OCI Application. There is no restriction or requirement related to the Surrender certificate. It only needs to be included when submitting your application. So go ahead and apply online, and upload all the documents that you can.

This way you will be ready as soon as you receive the surrender certificate.

Don't forget to book an appointment with BLS about 4-6 weeks after the submission of surrender application at BLS.

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
I have already filled and printed my OCI Application. There is no restriction or requirement related to the Surrender certificate. It only needs to be included when submitting your application. So go ahead and apply online, and upload all the documents that you can.

Don't forget to book an appointment with BLS about 4-6 weeks after the submission of surrender application at BLS.
Don't you need to upload copy of cancelled passport? i.e. it should show cancelled stamp.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Don't you need to upload copy of cancelled passport? i.e. it should show cancelled stamp.
Not as far as I know. You need to upload the last Indian Passport as proof of Indian Origin, and you will have to submit a copy of the surrender certificate at the time of submitting the application to BLS.

See CGI (Toronto) and BLS (Toronto) sites for more details of the process and document checklist if you haven't already.

rp12343

Sep 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A humble request to few ppl who find politics in everything, please leave this group only to discuss about oci application and its process please. Nothing is going to resolve these problems if you just post on this forum...
Thanks

AKT

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Not as far as I know. You need to upload the last Indian Passport as proof of Indian Origin, and you will have to submit a copy of the surrender certificate at the time of submitting the application to BLS.

See CGI (Toronto) and BLS (Toronto) sites for more details of the process and document checklist if you haven't already.
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-documents-to-be-uploaded/
on CGI website it says under "INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF"
Surrendered Indian passport (first and last page) with stamp showing ‘Cancelled on acquiring foreign citizenship.

Reactions: Hot2Cold

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/oci-documents-to-be-uploaded/
on CGI website it says under "INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF"
Surrendered Indian passport (first and last page) with stamp showing ‘Cancelled on acquiring foreign citizenship.
Oh well, you can upload the copy once you get the cancelled passport back from CGI/BLS. There is an option to re-upload documents. But this sshould not stop one from creating the online OCI application and having it ready to go.

vivek.89

Star Member
Dec 29, 2016

Thanks for this. I never booked my BLS in person appointment when i sent surrender application and now appointments are only available in May. So i guess courier will be a better option now.

Any idea how long it takes for surrender certi to arrive after your status changes to "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance"?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks for this. I never booked my BLS in person appointment when i sent surrender application and now appointments are only available in May. So i guess courier will be a better option now.
Booking an appointment is just a safety net. I believe that they are accepting walk-ins too, but that is always a 50-50 thing.

Any idea how long it takes for surrender certi to arrive after your status changes to "Surrender certificate has been granted and is available for issuance"?
No real idea about this at all. There is no one who is tracking this timeline like the PR and citizenship applications, so it's mostly anecdotal. I would be prepared for anything up to a month as some have experienced, but in reality it could be a week (EDIT: or 2).

Last edited:
Reactions: vivek.89

maan123

Jul 25, 2012
Applied OCI at BLS Ottawa
OCI acknowledged at high commission 15 Feb 2022
Processed at Delhi. 15 March 2022
Dispatch from Delhi. 16 March 2022 Document received Ottawa empty
Anyone can tell how long it take to get OCI as we have travel to India on 23 March 2022
Thanks

deepax

Jan 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1: 05-04-2016 SA:02-05-2016
File Transfer...
10-05-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Applied OCI at BLS Ottawa
OCI acknowledged at high commission 15 Feb 2022
Processed at Delhi. 15 March 2022
Dispatch from Delhi. 16 March 2022 Document received Ottawa empty
Anyone can tell how long it take to get OCI as we have travel to India on 23 March 2022
Thanks
Very high chances that you get it in time if they are as quick as in Toronto but no guarantees.

As soon as it says received in Ottawa, keep contacting them with the travel date.

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Another day and no update on the BLS site for the new application that was re-submitted. @Mishti did you get any update on your file?