+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
What's with these bls guys forcing you to take courier option? They said if we take courier option, they will notify if cgi asks for additional documents etc.

Goku

VIP Member
Jan 13, 2014
Category........
What's with these bls guys forcing you to take courier option? They said if we take courier option, they will notify if cgi asks for additional documents etc.
You don't have to go with it if you don't want to. You can check status on BLS website and also call them for status update.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
On oci status enquiry page, we need to enter one of the below -

Online Registration No * or
File (Acknowledgment) No *

What is the number printed on application form that starts with CANTxxxxxxxx, which was also sent by email once application was submitted? Is that file number?

It's been a week since I submitted my application, but status page is saying no such records found. I clicked on forgot Registration number and it's not showing anything either.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Hello there. I've not been able to search my application on oci website.

Bls tracking is showing In transit from consulate general to bls. Does this mean it's all ready ?

mehul5980

Mar 4, 2014
Hello there. I've not been able to search my application on oci website.

Bls tracking is showing In transit from consulate general to bls. Does this mean it's all ready ?
Hi,
I am also having the same status. I submitted my appl on 17th Nov. When did you submit the application? It could be the status for returning of original documents. I was told that they will return original documents in 2 weeks. How about you?
Thanks.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
Hi,
I am also having the same status. I submitted my appl on 17th Nov. When did you submit the application? It could be the status for returning of original documents. I was told that they will return original documents in 2 weeks. How about you?
Thanks.
Submitted on 15th.

Some friends at work got everything (originals and oci booklet) in 2 weeks. It's still in transit, hopefully it'll be ready for pick up today.

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
Submitted on 15th.

Some friends at work got everything (originals and oci booklet) in 2 weeks. It's still in transit, hopefully it'll be ready for pick up today.
What is coming may be only the originals documents collected (ie . Landing paper or any other originals ) from you.
As the OCI booklets are printed in Delhi and then shipped to Canada, It is very unlikely to get it in 2 weeks ,
unless they started printing in Canada.

mumbai1985

Feb 25, 2014
What is coming may be only the originals documents collected (ie . Landing paper or any other originals ) from you.
As the OCI booklets are printed in Delhi and then shipped to Canada, It is very unlikely to get it in 2 weeks ,
unless they started printing in Canada.
I don't see any tracking available on govt oci website. Keeps saying no records found . Based on this, I'm assuming they are doing all processing and printing in Canada

Dimma

Star Member
Oct 22, 2012
I don't see any tracking available on govt oci website. Keeps saying no records found . Based on this, I'm assuming they are doing all processing and printing in Canada
In my experience the tracking available on govt oci website only after your oci application is been acknowledge/accepted by consulate in Canada.
I am thinking either the process fully changed that they do all the processing within Canada or you application is being returned without acknowledgement, wait to see what in the courier.

HarryKhuttan

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Edmonton
Hello guys! Just got my citizenship a week ago in Edmonton. I have some questions regarding OCI, it would be amazing if you guys would answer.
1.Can you apply online for oci?
2. How long is the processing time?
3. Do we need to surrender the Indian citizenship before applying?
4. Can we apply online for citizenship surrender?
5. What are the fees for both procedures ?
6. Is there any penalty if the Indian passport is expired for 3-4 months?
7. I haven’t received my Canadian passport yet, do i need it for both procedures ?

Thank you!

JamesBond007

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Hello guys! Just got my citizenship a week ago in Edmonton. I have some questions regarding OCI, it would be amazing if you guys would answer.
1.Can you apply online for oci?
2. How long is the processing time?
3. Do we need to surrender the Indian citizenship before applying?
4. Can we apply online for citizenship surrender?
5. What are the fees for both procedures ?
6. Is there any penalty if the Indian passport is expired for 3-4 months?
7. I haven’t received my Canadian passport yet, do i need it for both procedures ?

Thank you!
Find answers for your questions below.
1. You cannot apply OCI online. but you have to fill application online (Part A and Part B), take a printout and go to BLS along with all the required documents.
2. Passport Surrender is 1 to 2 weeks. OCI is 3 months (as per BLS), but most of the people got within 5 to 6 weeks.
3. you can surrender Indian passport and apply for OCI at the same time.
4. you cannot apply online for surrender as well.
5. For Surrender: around CAD $285 (including $28 courier charges). For OCI: around CAD $462 (including $28 courier charges)
6. i am not sure.
7. Yes. after getting Canadian passport, you can apply for both at a time.

I am from Edmonton too. I applied for both last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryKhuttan

canadatryingguy

Star Member
Dec 19, 2009
India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
09-11-2016
AOR Received.
AOR 1 - 24-11-2016 & AOR 2 - 19-12-2016
File Transfer...
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
29-09-2016
Interview........
Not applicable
Passport Req..
14-05-2017
Friends,

I got my Canadian passport yesterday. Today, I successfully submitted my photo and scanned copy of Canadian passport and paid the fee for e-Tourist visa.

One of the question in the e-tourist form was troublesome to me. It asks, going by memory, when/how did you last visit India and in answer, it gives bunch of visa options (tourist, medical, conference etc). I selected never visited India. In the next question, it asks countries visited in last 10 years. I said India and mentioned that I visited India on Indian passport and never on a visa.

I am not sure if my application will get rejected. Any thoughts?

After e-tourist visa, I am filling 'Surrender Passport Forms'.

I hope it is ok to apply for e-tourist visa before Surrender Passport Form.

Thanks

homecanada

Star Member
Jun 1, 2013
Friends,

I got my Canadian passport yesterday. Today, I successfully submitted my photo and scanned copy of Canadian passport and paid the fee for e-Tourist visa.

One of the question in the e-tourist form was troublesome to me. It asks, going by memory, when/how did you last visit India and in answer, it gives bunch of visa options (tourist, medical, conference etc). I selected never visited India. In the next question, it asks countries visited in last 10 years. I said India and mentioned that I visited India on Indian passport and never on a visa.

I am not sure if my application will get rejected. Any thoughts?

After e-tourist visa, I am filling 'Surrender Passport Forms'.

I hope it is ok to apply for e-tourist visa before Surrender Passport Form.

Thanks
You should surrender your indian passport else rejection chances are high