+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
For OCI document upload, do we need to take print out of originals - Attest them by signing and then upload ?
No need to re-upload.

Download, print and sign only the Declaration page (Page 4) and hand it over to BLS. The first page will have your uploaded photo and signature

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront

eagle922

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
My OCI Application experience:

I filled all the forms online at the OCI-Services website.
I then uploaded the scanned photos and signatures after filling Part-A as prescribed on the website.
Then I filled Part-B and uploaded the following documents as required.
  • Current Passport: Canadian Passport
  • Indian Origin Proof: Indian passport with cancelled and surrendered stamp
  • Indian Visa: CoPR with stamp of landing
  • Marriage Certificate (for self and spouse as well as for our son)
Then I clicked on Final Submit to submit the applications

Physical documents I carried to day to BLS:

• The checklist
  • Printout of the online application form
  • Original Surrender Certificate (took original, but they asked for a copy and returned the original)
  • Indian Passport (Original and copy - Original was returned)
  • Citizenship certificate (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Canadian passport (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Draft for $345 (Individual drafts for each application)
  • Photo (Physical photo that was uploaded above)
I walked in to BLS 5 minutes before my time slot. The guard at the door asked if I had an appointment and for what service. I mentioned it was for OCI (though it was for visa) and she confirmed my name. She then let me in and gave me a token. There were 4 people before me in line.

When I reached the counter, I asked her if I could submit 3 applications and she said yes, I could. So I started submitting one by one.
I faced some minor issues as below:
  1. I had used a thumb impression for my son who will turn 18 later this year. She asked if I wanted to used his signature instead. I said that he would prefer that, so I uploaded his signature and reprinted the form.
  2. My form's barcode did not get printed at the bottom of the first page due to the A4/Letter conversion, so I had to reprint the form
  3. I had reprinted my wife's application but forgotten to get her to sign it. Since she hadn't come with us today, I was sure I would have to go back and get her to sign it - but the lady at the counter said that if my wife could print it at home and send me a scanned copy of the page, she would accept that. So that is what I did.
So not a bad experience at all - in fact I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Thank you, Priyanka at counter 2.

Documents that were returned.
  • The checklists
  • All CoPR copies
  • All Originals ibcluding surrender certificates
  • The pages with instructions
  • Our Marriage certificate from our son's application.
Notes on returned documents: This was my experience so please carry all the documents and let them return them to you rather than not carrying them. Also all documents that were stapled together were unstapled when accepting them - so don't worry about stapling documents together.

She also confirmed that it would take 2 months to process the OCI and that it would be sent to my home. I could have contested the courier charge but since I am happier with it being couriered, I did not protest.

She also asked me if I wanted tracking on my application for an additional $5 which I refused.

Now it's just wait and watch. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Thanks to all who have provided invaluable help on this forum at all stages of the process - from PR application --> citizenship --> Passports --> Surrender/OCI.
On what date did you submit your application?

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Can somebody tell me if I would need to include spouse's landing document even if she is not applying for OCI? This is stated on the High Commission's website. But its not mentioned anywhere on the BLS site.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Can somebody tell me if I would need to include spouse's landing document even if she is not applying for OCI? This is stated on the High Commission's website. But its not mentioned anywhere on the BLS site.
Not as far as I know.

I'm not sure you need the document at all as ours were returned for all applications.

But keep the originals and copies with you if applying in person so that you can hand it over if asked.

Tamiltdot

May 31, 2018
Hey did you receive your OCI? I think it's 5 days for the travel for you
Went to consulate, a person checked the file number and said it has already been dispatched to BLS Brampton. Now the status in BLS Brampton says Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping.

DigitalDestiny

Nov 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My OCI Application experience:

I filled all the forms online at the OCI-Services website.
I then uploaded the scanned photos and signatures after filling Part-A as prescribed on the website.
Then I filled Part-B and uploaded the following documents as required.

Now it's just wait and watch. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Thanks to all who have provided invaluable help on this forum at all stages of the process - from PR application --> citizenship --> Passports --> Surrender/OCI.
You went to Bldg#40 or at Bldg#60 - they let you submit OCI ?. Asking because I also have Visa type appointment.

(As per BLS website, Applications for Visa and Passport Surrender at Bldg#60, All other applications at Bldg#40 Gillingham Drive, Brampton, ON. )

Last edited:

canadamaple

Jan 20, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-09-2014
AOR Received.
23-01-2015
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront, RPRF Upfront
Not as far as I know.

I'm not sure you need the document at all as ours were returned for all applications.

But keep the originals and copies with you if applying in person so that you can hand it over if asked.
Thank you very much @Hot2Cold . Can you also tell me if you had to include a copy of your COPR in addition to the citizenship certificate? I am very nervous about sending it to BLS via Purolator.

Chironto

Feb 27, 2022
Yes. You may be able to submit without the surrender certificate (as long as you have proof that you have applied for surrender). This in general depends on the jurisdiction. Toronto does not allow surrender + OCI together.

reasonably accurate, i got mine in about 10 working days.
Thanks. So my status just got updated to 'In Transit from Consulate General to BLS Center'. Does this mean the entry visa was approved or they sent it back for more information? lol

Chironto

Feb 27, 2022
You went to Bldg#40 or at Bldg#60 - they let you submit OCI ?. Asking because I also have Visa type appointment.

(As per BLS website, Applications for Visa and Passport Surrender at Bldg#60, All other applications at Bldg#40 Gillingham Drive, Brampton, ON. )
You can book visa appointment and submit OCI. That is what i did 2 weeks ago. OCI is in building 40 and Visa is in building 60.

Reactions: DigitalDestiny

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
My OCI tracker says that the OCI documents have been received at Vancouver. The acknowledgement data is March 16, 2022. Will we get a separate email when its ready to be shipped and also from Purolator? As BLS had my phone wrong on the shipping of OCI.