+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

Apr 1, 2022
Hi All,

I just got an email on Friday saying that my OCI application will be returned for edits through Purolator. There wasn't any information provided about the tracking number for the return package. For anyone else who encountered the same issue, do either Purolator or BLS follow up with a tracking number? I'm just concerned that my $300+ money order doesn't go missing with the return package.

Thanks!

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
how many copies of photos do you need to submit for surrender certificate and OCI ?

and also it says in below that no white background , is it ok to submit a photo with white background, as im planning to submit a same photo as the one i did for my surrender certificate .
  • Photograph to be affixed on the application should be a square shape of size not less than 51*51mm (with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph. It should not be stapled and not have any signature.

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
how many copies of photos do you need to submit for surrender certificate and OCI ?

and also it says in below that no white background , is it ok to submit a photo with white background, as im planning to submit a same photo as the one i did for my surrender certificate .
  • Photograph to be affixed on the application should be a square shape of size not less than 51*51mm (with 80% coverage of face). It should have plain light color background (not white) without the border with front view of person's head and shoulders showing the full face in middle of the photograph. It should not be stapled and not have any signature.
1) 1 each
2) Yes, white background is fine.

Reactions: sting_hard

watson info

Mar 25, 2022
My OCI Application experience:

I filled all the forms online at the OCI-Services website.
I then uploaded the scanned photos and signatures after filling Part-A as prescribed on the website.
Then I filled Part-B and uploaded the following documents as required.
  • Current Passport: Canadian Passport
  • Indian Origin Proof: Indian passport with cancelled and surrendered stamp
  • Indian Visa: CoPR with stamp of landing
  • Marriage Certificate (for self and spouse as well as for our son)
Then I clicked on Final Submit to submit the applications

Physical documents I carried to day to BLS:

• The checklist
  • Printout of the online application form
  • Original Surrender Certificate (took original, but they asked for a copy and returned the original)
  • Indian Passport (Original and copy - Original was returned)
  • Citizenship certificate (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Canadian passport (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Draft for $345 (Individual drafts for each application)
  • Photo (Physical photo that was uploaded above)
I walked in to BLS 5 minutes before my time slot. The guard at the door asked if I had an appointment and for what service. I mentioned it was for OCI (though it was for visa) and she confirmed my name. She then let me in and gave me a token. There were 4 people before me in line.

When I reached the counter, I asked her if I could submit 3 applications and she said yes, I could. So I started submitting one by one.
I faced some minor issues as below:
  1. I had used a thumb impression for my son who will turn 18 later this year. She asked if I wanted to used his signature instead. I said that he would prefer that, so I uploaded his signature and reprinted the form.
  2. My form's barcode did not get printed at the bottom of the first page due to the A4/Letter conversion, so I had to reprint the form
  3. I had reprinted my wife's application but forgotten to get her to sign it. Since she hadn't come with us today, I was sure I would have to go back and get her to sign it - but the lady at the counter said that if my wife could print it at home and send me a scanned copy of the page, she would accept that. So that is what I did.
So not a bad experience at all - in fact I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Thank you, Priyanka at counter 2.

Documents that were returned.
  • The checklists
  • All CoPR copies
  • All Originals ibcluding surrender certificates
  • The pages with instructions
  • Our Marriage certificate from our son's application.
Notes on returned documents: This was my experience so please carry all the documents and let them return them to you rather than not carrying them. Also all documents that were stapled together were unstapled when accepting them - so don't worry about stapling documents together.

She also confirmed that it would take 2 months to process the OCI and that it would be sent to my home. I could have contested the courier charge but since I am happier with it being couriered, I did not protest.

She also asked me if I wanted tracking on my application for an additional $5 which I refused.

Now it's just wait and watch. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Thanks to all who have provided invaluable help on this forum at all stages of the process - from PR application --> citizenship --> Passports --> Surrender/OCI.
information as such is always appreciated .
My deep regards to you for sharing Experience, effort and time .

Reactions: Hot2Cold

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
just to conform, you can user the same photo for both OCI and surrender certificate ?
Yes. When I applied for surrender I printed photos at BLS (to ensure that they meet the strict criteria provided by CGI ;) ).

I was handed 2 photos. Since both SC and OCI application need 1 each, I used the same one for both applications, and both were accepted. They do not refer back to the SC application when accepting the OCI application and the SC does not have a photo on it.

Note. Don't forget to scan and upload the photo to the OCI application as they have to match.

Edit: I did exactly what I described above.

Reactions: sting_hard

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Yes. When I applied for surrender I printed photos at BLS (to ensure that they meet the strict criteria provided by CGI ;) ).

I was handed 2 photos. Since both SC and OCI application need 1 each, I used the same one for both applications, and both were accepted. They do not refer back to the SC application when accepting the OCI application and the SC does not have a photo on it.

Note. Don't forget to scan and upload the photo to the OCI application as they have to match.

How much they charge at BLS for photo ?

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016

If you got the photos clicked at BLS, then it means you would have had to scan and upload them to the OCI application, there and then, correct?

Things to consider for this I guess are Wifi/Data at the premises.

Also, in general, can the online applications (SC and OCI) be updated/edited any number of times?

shshivam

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
Hey Guys, I submitted by OCI application via post to the Brampton BLS office on March 17th. I still cannot track my application on the OCI website, but on BLS it says "Processing at Consulate General" with application date of March 29th (not sure why there is a gap).

I'm planning to book my tickets to India around May 8/9, is that me being optimistic? What do you guys think?

dineshrehab

Star Member
Feb 15, 2022
Hey Guys, I submitted by OCI application via post to the Brampton BLS office on March 17th. I still cannot track my application on the OCI website, but on BLS it says "Processing at Consulate General" with application date of March 29th (not sure why there is a gap).

I'm planning to book my tickets to India around May 8/9, is that me being optimistic? What do you guys think?
It takes 14-20 days for the application to get acknowledged at Consulate from the date they received. From the date of acknowledgement it takes min a month to get processed and printed at Newdelhi.
From the day it processed you might receive it within a week.
So calculate the timeline (2months min) .
May 9 is too optimistic.
you sent ur app through post -BLS doesnt open it for a week, that is the reason it shows March 29th.