+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
for OCI, does "Place of Birth" needs to match with Canadian passport or Cancelled Indian passport?

In my Indian passport its "Jabalpur MP" but in my Canadain passport its "Jabalpur IND". any advise?
OCI should always match with Canadian PP

Reactions: Rana Singh

richieP

Mar 8, 2022
Hello All, I have question regarding Entry Visa Form
I am filling out Online form and there is one section named "Previous Visa/Currently Valid Visa Details", Which has following Fields
  1. Have you ever visited India before?
  2. Address
  3. Cities previously visited in India
  4. Last Indian Visa No/Currently valid Indian Visa No.
  5. Type of Visa
  6. Place of Issue
  7. Date of Issue
Now I was Indian Citizen and I was visiting India to meet my family but I did not hold any Visa (I had Passport)
What should I enter in Field 5, as there is no option like Passport in that drop down. Can anyone guide me on this one?

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hello All, I have question regarding Entry Visa Form
I am filling out Online form and there is one section named "Previous Visa/Currently Valid Visa Details", Which has following Fields
  1. Have you ever visited India before?
  2. Address
  3. Cities previously visited in India
  4. Last Indian Visa No/Currently valid Indian Visa No.
  5. Type of Visa
  6. Place of Issue
  7. Date of Issue
Now I was Indian Citizen and I was visiting India to meet my family but I did not hold any Visa (I had Passport)
What should I enter in Field 5, as there is no option like Passport in that drop down. Can anyone guide me on this one?
Answer No to Q1. You have not visited India as a New Canadian. All other questions are moot after that.

Reactions: richieP

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
So I was at Brampton BLS today for my OCI Application(s). I had made a booking for my son's visa as he wanted to go in July, and I was not sure that the Surrender and OCI processes would finish in time. Fortunately, I got my SC yesterday and I was able to use today's appointment to apply for OCI (I'll post about my experience soon). I was able to apply for my wife's and my OCIs as well.

This means that I now have 2 Visa appointments on Saturday, April 16 at 11:00 and 11:10 am that I plan to release. If anyone wants to grab those on the BLS Appointment booking site, please PM me and we can set something up.

You also don't need to make multiple appointments for multiple applications as they accepted 3 applications on my one appointment. So two people can possibly make use of these slots.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
My OCI Application experience:

I filled all the forms online at the OCI-Services website.
I then uploaded the scanned photos and signatures after filling Part-A as prescribed on the website.
Then I filled Part-B and uploaded the following documents as required.
  • Current Passport: Canadian Passport
  • Indian Origin Proof: Indian passport with cancelled and surrendered stamp
  • Indian Visa: CoPR with stamp of landing
  • Marriage Certificate (for self and spouse as well as for our son)
Then I clicked on Final Submit to submit the applications

Physical documents I carried to day to BLS:

• The checklist
  • Printout of the online application form
  • Original Surrender Certificate (took original, but they asked for a copy and returned the original)
  • Indian Passport (Original and copy - Original was returned)
  • Citizenship certificate (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Canadian passport (Original and copy - Did not look at original at all)
  • Draft for $345 (Individual drafts for each application)
  • Photo (Physical photo that was uploaded above)
I walked in to BLS 5 minutes before my time slot. The guard at the door asked if I had an appointment and for what service. I mentioned it was for OCI (though it was for visa) and she confirmed my name. She then let me in and gave me a token. There were 4 people before me in line.

When I reached the counter, I asked her if I could submit 3 applications and she said yes, I could. So I started submitting one by one.
I faced some minor issues as below:
  1. I had used a thumb impression for my son who will turn 18 later this year. She asked if I wanted to used his signature instead. I said that he would prefer that, so I uploaded his signature and reprinted the form.
  2. My form's barcode did not get printed at the bottom of the first page due to the A4/Letter conversion, so I had to reprint the form
  3. I had reprinted my wife's application but forgotten to get her to sign it. Since she hadn't come with us today, I was sure I would have to go back and get her to sign it - but the lady at the counter said that if my wife could print it at home and send me a scanned copy of the page, she would accept that. So that is what I did.
So not a bad experience at all - in fact I was pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. Thank you, Priyanka at counter 2.

Documents that were returned.
  • The checklists
  • All CoPR copies
  • All Originals ibcluding surrender certificates
  • The pages with instructions
  • Our Marriage certificate from our son's application.
Notes on returned documents: This was my experience so please carry all the documents and let them return them to you rather than not carrying them. Also all documents that were stapled together were unstapled when accepting them - so don't worry about stapling documents together.

She also confirmed that it would take 2 months to process the OCI and that it would be sent to my home. I could have contested the courier charge but since I am happier with it being couriered, I did not protest.

She also asked me if I wanted tracking on my application for an additional $5 which I refused.

Now it's just wait and watch. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. Thanks to all who have provided invaluable help on this forum at all stages of the process - from PR application --> citizenship --> Passports --> Surrender/OCI.

nskatcv

Champion Member
May 27, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 11 2014
Med's Done....
Feb 16 2015
Passport Req..
Jul 03 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 08 2015
LANDED..........
Jan 09 2016
Is the Citizenship Certificate Number going to become the Canadian Passport Number, or there is no connection and the passport will bear a totally new number?

This came up while trying to fill the forms for SC. I have heard some folks said they have submitted the SC application even before receiving the Canadian Passport. In those cases, does one leave the Canadian Passport Number field blank, or it is going to be the certificate number (if they happen to be the same of course).

sting_hard

Jun 24, 2021
Is the Citizenship Certificate Number going to become the Canadian Passport Number, or there is no connection and the passport will bear a totally new number?

This came up while trying to fill the forms for SC. I have heard some folks said they have submitted the SC application even before receiving the Canadian Passport. In those cases, does one leave the Canadian Passport Number field blank, or it is going to be the certificate number (if they happen to be the same of course).
Leave it blank , it's not mandatory field

Reactions: nskatcv

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015

Both are different - Passport number has no connection to Cert #.
Wrt SC, if you notice that form carefully, the Canadian Passport Number field is a non mandatory field. So leave it empty.