+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for the detailed response!

If we live in the GTA, can't we apply at the Ottawa office (BLS)? Also, don't we need the surrender certificate before submitting application for OCI?
No, you can't submit it in Ottawa if you live in the GTA AFAIK. Ottawa BLS sends application to the High Commission of India in Ottawa. Since you live in the GTA, you fall under the jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, Toronto. So, BLS Brampton or Toronto are your only options.

You'll have to submit your surrender first and then apply for OCI.

I am not 100% sure how it is now but we used to be able to apply for both surrender and OCI together. However, if BLS has stopped that process and you cannot apply for both surrender and OCI together, then you'll have to wait until you get the surrender certificate and then submit your OCI application.

vik20

Aug 17, 2016
So you did everything through post/ courier? Didn't go to the office in Brampton at all?
That is correct. I went to one near me in Toronto around 6:45 am and there were 8 people before me even at that time so I said nope and chose the courier.

Reactions: SG3108

sumg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Aug-2014
Nomination.....
08-Dec-2014
Med's Request
17-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
23-Mar-2015; Meds Received: 31-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
OCI - Anybody have problem with uploading Indian Origin Proof - Self Indian passport.
I am uploaded the passport pdf, but not able to view it. It keeps saying “We cannot open this file”.
Wonder what the problem is.
Such a useless website - they have a limit on how many times you can view your uploaded document!

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
OCI - Anybody have problem with uploading Indian Origin Proof - Self Indian passport.
I am uploaded the passport pdf, but not able to view it. Wonder what the problem is.
I had the exact same issue. Tried uploading it multiple times but when you click "view" you can't see it. No other documents had that issue. Seems like a standard problem with only the self indian passport.

thisisdna

Nov 19, 2021
They are straight out denying that I paid them the return courier fee. It was literally included in my bank draft (35$). Wonder what I should do now.
Courier fees is not supposed to be included in the draft. When you call bls and tell them you want to courier your documents, they send you a link for the courier fees to be paid via credit card. At least that's how I did mine.

Reactions: SG3108

sumg

Star Member
Apr 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-Aug-2014
Nomination.....
08-Dec-2014
Med's Request
17-Mar-2015
Med's Done....
23-Mar-2015; Meds Received: 31-Mar-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2015
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
I had the exact same issue. Tried uploading it multiple times but when you click "view" you can't see it. No other documents had that issue. Seems like a standard problem with only the self indian passport.
Were you able to submit your application even with that issue?