OCI process

rdpatel1201@yahoo.in

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Just noticed an update in my OCI status:

Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 08-NOV-2021
Dispatched From MEA (OCI )NEW DELHI On 09-NOV-2021
Document received At TORONTO On 09-NOV-2021
Hi visalv, what is the status showing on BLS website. My daughters OCI received by Toronto on Nov 9,2021 and BLS WEBSITE TRACKING showing me “counter delivery to BLS after OCI Stamping

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Hi visalv, what is the status showing on BLS website. My daughters OCI received by Toronto on Nov 9,2021 and BLS WEBSITE TRACKING showing me “counter delivery to BLS after OCI Stamping
The BLS website still shows "Processing at Consulate General". Based on recent timelines, you should be receiving it in a week.

mili_0923

Oct 26, 2021
Guys,
I am feeling so anxious. Not sure why is there such delay for me. I have submitted the application to Ottawa because I live in Quebec. I see all the applications for Ontario are pretty quick.
Is there anyone who has filed it from Quebec To Ottawa BLS?
Its been almost 2 months since I applied. I have e-mail OCI high commissioner also VFS.Global. No response from anyone…

Not sure how much longer should I wait?

vishalv

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
ADVO
App. Filed.......
22-07-2016
Passport Req..
13-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2016
LANDED..........
12-03-2016
Noticed an update in BLS website:
Counter Delivery to BLS Centre after OCI stamping

Reactions: lifein360

jansh

Star Member
Feb 16, 2021
Hi,
Can anyone provide some clarification on Visa to travel to India after acquiring Canadian passport but without completing surrender formalities for Indian passport?

Wife received date for Oath ceremony on Nov 17 (based on tracker, haven't received email yet) and she has plans to go to India on Jan 15 (2 week trip). I think she should be able to get the Canadian passport by mid-Dec. But from current timelines, it does not look like there is enough time after getting Cdn passport to surrender Indian passport & get OCI.
In order to make this trip, can she get a Visa? If yes, what kind of Visa can she apply for, I'm a little confused about the Visa as I think Tourist visas are still suspended? Thanks!

ajit90

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
29-05-2015
Med's Done....
passed -10.06.2015
Hi,
Can anyone provide some clarification on Visa to travel to India after acquiring Canadian passport but without completing surrender formalities for Indian passport?

Wife received date for Oath ceremony on Nov 17 (based on tracker, haven't received email yet) and she has plans to go to India on Jan 15 (2 week trip). I think she should be able to get the Canadian passport by mid-Dec. But from current timelines, it does not look like there is enough time after getting Cdn passport to surrender Indian passport & get OCI.
In order to make this trip, can she get a Visa? If yes, what kind of Visa can she apply for, I'm a little confused about the Visa as I think Tourist visas are still suspended? Thanks!
you wife can apply for entry visa that is being issued to former Indian citizens. The processing time is around 7 days

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Guys,
I am feeling so anxious. Not sure why is there such delay for me. I have submitted the application to Ottawa because I live in Quebec. I see all the applications for Ontario are pretty quick.
Is there anyone who has filed it from Quebec To Ottawa BLS?
Its been almost 2 months since I applied. I have e-mail OCI high commissioner also VFS.Global. No response from anyone…

Not sure how much longer should I wait?
I assumed you were applying from Toronto.

If you submitted the application in Ottawa, the processing times are different.

Check the BLS website => https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

Issuance of OCI Booklet -6- 8 Weeks.

Also, why would you send email to VFS Global? Doesn't make any sense. VFS Global is a third-party like BLS and has NOTHING to do with OCI services in Canada (they service the United States for OCI applications).

Looks like you'll receive it at the end of 8 weeks (assume 1 or 2 weeks extra). There was Diwali and Halloween in between.

Last edited:

rohansekhri

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Toronto
AOR Received.
23-01-2016
Finally OCI done. My timelines:

1. App submitted at BLS Toronto (walk-in): 30 sep
2. Surrender Cert processed and ready for pickup with originals: 12 Oct
3. OCI in progress on OCI's website: 12 Oct
4. OCI booklet printed: 03 Nov
5. Dispatched and received at Toronto: 05 Nov
6. BLS ready for pickup after OCI stamping: 08 Nov
7. Picking up on: 10 Nov

rohansekhri

Star Member
Oct 25, 2015
Toronto
AOR Received.
23-01-2016
I assumed you were applying from Toronto.

If you submitted the application in Ottawa, the processing times are different.

Check the BLS website => https://www.blsindia-canada.com/ocihome.php

Issuance of OCI Booklet -6- 8 Weeks.

Also, why would you send email to VFS Global? Doesn't make any sense. VFS Global is a third-party like BLS and has NOTHING to do with OCI services in Canada (they service the United States for OCI applications).

Looks like you'll receive it at the end of 8 weeks (assume 1 or 2 weeks extra). There was Diwali and Halloween in between.
Seems they worked during Diwali. Was expecting delays with mine. Got it on time.

jansh

Star Member
Feb 16, 2021
you wife can apply for entry visa that is being issued to former Indian citizens. The processing time is around 7 days
Thanks for replying!
It seems one of the required document for processing Entry visa is "A copy of theSurrender Certificate/ last held surrendered Indian passport." Don't think she'll be able to complete surrender formalities as current timeline says appx 8 weeks which will be after getting cdn passport.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for replying!
It seems one of the required document for processing Entry visa is "A copy of theSurrender Certificate/ last held surrendered Indian passport." Don't think she'll be able to complete surrender formalities as current timeline says appx 8 weeks which will be after getting cdn passport.
BLS Brampton will accept the "receipt" for surrender application as proof that you've applied to surrender your passport. That's the whole logic behind applying for Surrender + OCI as well. OCI also requires surrender certificate but if you are applying for both together, they consider that the receipt for surrender application equivalent to a surrender certificate and accept the application.

Reactions: jansh and lifein360

Wacky1.nash

Jul 18, 2017
Singapore
We would like to apply for OCI for my American husband based on me being an Indian citizen (I am an Indian citizen due to having Indian citizens as parents).

I am also in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship and will be obtaining OCI for myself once my citizenship is approved.

Is it OK for us to apply for my husband's OCI now, or should we wait until after I get my OCI? Wondering because his OCI is contingent on me, and would his OCI obtained when I am a citizen of India remain valid when I renounce my Indian citizenship.
Any thoughts anyone? @rajkamalmohanram?

enkarthik

Dec 19, 2014
Hi All,

Need some advise. I received my oath ceremony date on Nov 29 2021. But I have my travel plans to India by mid of Jan till end of February.
I'm hoping that I will get my citizenship certificate and also the passport before my travel. But will I be able to travel to India with Indian passport and use Canadian passport to return back? I will not be able to surrender my Indian passport and obtain OCI before my travel.
Is it good to postpone my oath ceremony in this case? Please advise.

rdpatel1201@yahoo.in

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
Hi All,

Need some advise. I received my oath ceremony date on Nov 29 2021. But I have my travel plans to India by mid of Jan till end of February.
I'm hoping that I will get my citizenship certificate and also the passport before my travel. But will I be able to travel to India with Indian passport and use Canadian passport to return back? I will not be able to surrender my Indian passport and obtain OCI before my travel.
Is it good to postpone my oath ceremony in this case? Please advise.
No you can’t do that the Indian authorities will stamp both your arrival Nd departure so it should be the same travel document

Reactions: enkarthik