+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OCI process

intellectgyani

Star Member
May 29, 2013
Hi,
I have experience with authentication of my marriage certificate. Follow the instructions below.
- Take original document along with one photo copy to notary public.
- Make sure the notary public is registered with Ontario authentication office (check ontario website). If you can't find one, I used https://www.instantnotary.ca/ their office is on Church street (downtown) close to Ontario Documentation authentication office. Do not use any other notary it won't be accepted.
- Take the notary document to the authentication office in downtown. Its a quick 30-40 mins process. (Use street parking, way cheaper)
- Then take it to Indian consulate (consulate is not too far from this office). If you can reach consulate before 12 then you can get your authenticate certificate same day by 2pm. Make sure to take an extra copy of driver licence, copy of authenticated certificate, address proof, copy of your spouse address proof. (There is a photo copy in the mall below consulate, take cash with you)
- Now you can add this to you application.

Let me know if you have trouble?
Thank you so much. QQ clarification
A) When i submit OCI application - i need to give 1) the notarized copy of marriage certificate, 2) the original authentication certificate 3) attestation letter by the Indian consulate?
B)Does the Indian consulate give a separate letter or do they stamp something on the notarized photocopy of the certificate

Last edited:
Reactions: peter897

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Thank you so much. QQ clarification
A) When i submit OCI application - i need to give 1) the notarized copy of marriage certificate, 2) the original authentication certificate 3) attestation letter by the Indian consulate?
B)Does the Indian consulate give a separate letter or do they stamp something on the notarized photocopy of the certificate
When you apply for OCI you only have to send them original along with one photo copy of the authenticated certificate attested by consulate (everything will happen on the same document, so it is one document). You do not need separate notary marriage certificate.

Consulate will stamp on the authenticated document that you will get from Ontario document services.

This is how it looks:
Notary marriage certificate >> Ontario document service will attach a certificate to the notary certificate, this is called authentication >> the Indian consulate will stamp this authentication, they call it attesting. This is the final product you need to attach with your application.

Last edited:

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Thank you. Very useful. Two last questions -

1) Is there any fees to be paid at the indian consulate ?
2) A bit confused on the submission to BLS - original of the authenticated certificate attested by consulate or a copy

Also does this need to be filled up before going to the consulate
https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/docs/Miscellaneous Services Form1.pdf
1) Yes, fees is $19 per document
2) both. BLS will return the original if they do want.
30 Yes fill the form but i dont think you need a pic. You can get the form from consulate too.

Last edited:

intellectgyani

Star Member
May 29, 2013
1) Yes, fees is $19 per document
2) both. BLS will return the original if they do want.
30 Yes fill the form but i dont think you need a pic. You can get the form from consulate too.
Hello dev514 - another question :) when you applied for oci , did bls ask you to submit original Canadian marriage certificate which they will return back after a few days? Or do they just verify on spot and return it back. TIA

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hello dev514 - another question :) when you applied for oci , did bls ask you to submit original Canadian marriage certificate which they will return back after a few days? Or do they just verify on spot and return it back. TIA
It really depends what they want to do with your original certificates. The process is you have to submit all the originals along with photocopies as mentioned in document check list. Then your originals will be send to consulate and consulate will return the originals in 3 weeks. BLS will give you a list of originals that they will be keep from you.
In my case all my originals were verified and returned back to me when i submitted walk in application.

intellectgyani

Star Member
May 29, 2013
It really depends what they want to do with your original certificates. The process is you have to submit all the originals along with photocopies as mentioned in document check list. Then your originals will be send to consulate and consulate will return the originals in 3 weeks. BLS will give you a list of originals that they will be keep from you.
In my case all my originals were verified and returned back to me when i submitted walk in application.
Thanks

manu.m

Sep 7, 2018
There will be no acknowledgement email.

Hi Manu,
In 3-4 weeks the status on consulate website will change to Application Acknowledged and the same day they will send your original documents back to BLS. BLS will then forward them to you. Even if BLS didn't take your original document they will still send you an empty envelope (BLS gets commission for every courier, so just a money making scheme from BLS). You can only see a tracking for this package on BLS website.
Once the consulate acknowledged your application, the OCI process will start from the date of acknowledgement. Total OCI time after acknowledgment is 60-90 days according to website.

FYI: Keep track of your application on both Consulate and BLS website.
Thanks so much for your reply. His OIC application is still in transit from BLS to consulate and Surrender document is being proceed at consulate. I found the CAD****** number for his OCI application is that the Application Acknowledgment number?

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Thanks so much for your reply. His OIC application is still in transit from BLS to consulate and Surrender document is being proceed at consulate. I found the CAD****** number for his OCI application is that the Application Acknowledgment number?
The BLS and Consulate application number are different. BLS number starts with OCIT**** and Consulate file acknowledgement number starts with CANT*****
To check status on consulate website goto https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome and click Status Enquiry and then enter passport number as well as File acknowledgement number.

peter897

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Hi,
I have experience with authentication of my marriage certificate. Follow the instructions below.
- Take original document along with one photo copy to notary public.
- Make sure the notary public is registered with Ontario authentication office (check ontario website). If you can't find one, I used https://www.instantnotary.ca/ their office is on Church street (downtown) close to Ontario Documentation authentication office. Do not use any other notary it won't be accepted.
- Take the notary document to the authentication office in downtown. Its a quick 30-40 mins process. (Use street parking, way cheaper)
- Then take it to Indian consulate (consulate is not too far from this office). If you can reach consulate before 12 then you can get your authenticate certificate same day by 2pm. Make sure to take an extra copy of driver licence, copy of authenticated certificate, address proof, copy of your spouse address proof. (There is a photo copy in the mall below consulate, take cash with you)
- Now you can add this to you application.

Let me know if you have trouble?
Hi there,
I am SK resident and applying for OCI soon. they need my marriage certificate autheticated by SK govt. (i got married in SK), do i need to send notorzied marriage certificate to SK govt body or just an original or just a photo copy? and SK govt keep teeling me they will punch a hole in my marriage certificate to authorzied that, is that an issue?

Please let me know, thanks.

dev514

Oct 2, 2018
Hi there,
I am SK resident and applying for OCI soon. they need my marriage certificate autheticated by SK govt. (i got married in SK), do i need to send notorzied marriage certificate to SK govt body or just an original or just a photo copy? and SK govt keep teeling me they will punch a hole in my marriage certificate to authorzied that, is that an issue?

Please let me know, thanks.
Hi,
You have to make a copy of your marriage certificate and get the copy notary from notary public. In Ontario you have to get notary from lawyers who are members with Ontario document services, so make sure to call SK and ask them for a list of notary public they accept. Then you have to take the notary public as well as original to the documentation center. They will punch holes to attack a certificate on to your notary copy. Do not separate, this is authentication certificate. Now you have to send this to Consulate general of India.

Reactions: peter897

peter897

Star Member
Nov 16, 2015
Hi,
You have to make a copy of your marriage certificate and get the copy notary from notary public. In Ontario you have to get notary from lawyers who are members with Ontario document services, so make sure to call SK and ask them for a list of notary public they accept. Then you have to take the notary public as well as original to the documentation center. They will punch holes to attack a certificate on to your notary copy. Do not separate, this is authentication certificate. Now you have to send this to Consulate general of India.
okay thank you, i will call SK govt and check for their notary requirement.

intellectgyani

Star Member
May 29, 2013
With the help of folks in this thread and previous threads I have managed to collect all documents so far. I am a bit confused with the payment process. I plan to walk in to the bls office to submit my application. Is it mandatory to create demand drafts for consulate for surrender and oci ? Or I can pay this thro debit at bls. I am talking about the appx 800-1000 dollar fee that will be incurred and not the bls fee. Guidance will be appreciated. Thanks.