+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony missed

Jan 4, 2019
* Here are the policy guidelines for missed citizenship tests/ceremony:

Policy

In accordance with sections A13.2 and A23.1, an application can be treated as abandoned when an applicant does not respond to requests for documentation or does not attend an event when requested without a reasonable explanation. Abandonment should be used only when all other options have been exhausted and it is evident that the applicant is no longer actively pursuing their application. Where there is sufficient information on file to make a decision, a decision maker should elect to make a decision on a file rather than treating it as abandoned.

Officers may consider a file abandoned when, without a reasonable excuse or explanation,
  • the applicant does not appear for an event (test, retest, interview, hearing or ceremony) on second notice;
  • the applicant does not provide supporting documents (e.g., residence questionnaire [RQ], supplementary documents, fingerprints, court documents) on second notice.
Specific abandonment procedures for each of these scenarios are outlined below.

Abandonment procedures
Events (tests, retests, interviews, hearings and ceremonies)
Applicants are required to attend all events convoked by IRCC unless they have provided a reasonable explanation for missing or being unable to attend the event. Applicants may provide an explanation as to why they are unable to attend an event before the event or within 30 days of the date of the event.

First notice
If an applicant contacts IRCC to provide an explanation for missing an event, local IRCC officials must make a determination as to whether the explanation is reasonable:

• If the explanation is deemed reasonable, the applicant is rescheduled into an identical event and a new first notice will be sent to them.
  • If the explanation is deemed unreasonable, the officer must communicate the results of that determination to the applicant through the Notice of Review of Explanation. The applicant will be rescheduled into a new event and sent a final notice. A copy of the Notice of Review of Explanation should be uploaded to GCMS along with a case note briefly noting the explanation provided and why the officer determined the explanation to be unreasonable.
Note: In cases where an applicant contacts IRCC with an explanation before the scheduled event, the decision maker must determine whether the explanation provided is reasonable and communicate the determination to the applicant as soon as possible by email or telephone. Doing so will give the applicant every opportunity to make alternate arrangements to ensure they are able to attend the scheduled event.

If an applicant does not contact IRCC to provide an explanation for missing an event, the decision maker will wait 45 calendar days from the date of the event. The applicant is given 30 calendar days after the event to contact IRCC with an explanation; if no explanation is received, the decision maker will wait an additional 15 calendar days and then treat the applicant as a no-show. The applicant will then be rescheduled into a new event and sent a final notice.

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019

Policy

In accordance with sections A13.2 and A23.1, an application can be treated as abandoned when an applicant does not respond to requests for documentation or does not attend an event when requested without a reasonable explanation. Abandonment should be used only when all other options have been exhausted and it is evident that the applicant is no longer actively pursuing their application. Where there is sufficient information on file to make a decision, a decision maker should elect to make a decision on a file rather than treating it as abandoned.

Officers may consider a file abandoned when, without a reasonable excuse or explanation,
  • the applicant does not appear for an event (test, retest, interview, hearing or ceremony) on second notice;
  • the applicant does not provide supporting documents (e.g., residence questionnaire [RQ], supplementary documents, fingerprints, court documents) on second notice.

Abandonment procedures
Applicants are required to attend all events convoked by IRCC unless they have provided a reasonable explanation for missing or being unable to attend the event. Applicants may provide an explanation as to why they are unable to attend an event before the event or within 30 days of the date of the event.

First notice
If an applicant contacts IRCC to provide an explanation for missing an event, local IRCC officials must make a determination as to whether the explanation is reasonable:

• If the explanation is deemed reasonable, the applicant is rescheduled into an identical event and a new first notice will be sent to them.
  • If the explanation is deemed unreasonable, the officer must communicate the results of that determination to the applicant through the Notice of Review of Explanation. The applicant will be rescheduled into a new event and sent a final notice. A copy of the Notice of Review of Explanation should be uploaded to GCMS along with a case note briefly noting the explanation provided and why the officer determined the explanation to be unreasonable.
Note: In cases where an applicant contacts IRCC with an explanation before the scheduled event, the decision maker must determine whether the explanation provided is reasonable and communicate the determination to the applicant as soon as possible by email or telephone. Doing so will give the applicant every opportunity to make alternate arrangements to ensure they are able to attend the scheduled event.

If an applicant does not contact IRCC to provide an explanation for missing an event, the decision maker will wait 45 calendar days from the date of the event. The applicant is given 30 calendar days after the event to contact IRCC with an explanation; if no explanation is received, the decision maker will wait an additional 15 calendar days and then treat the applicant as a no-show. The applicant will then be rescheduled into a new event and sent a final notice.

Thanks for the detailed reply @Fresh Prince of Canada, seems like I still have holp, but just so worried about what an "explanation reasonable" is, is mine (got the date wrong ) considered to a reasonable one? god, sad about myself

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Thanks for the detailed reply @Fresh Prince of Canada, seems like I still have holp, but just so worried about what an "explanation reasonable" is, is mine (got the date wrong ) considered to a reasonable one? god, sad about myself
Was it the first time you missed it? According to the info above, if it was the first time, they will reschedule once more as the final chance, even if it the reason was deemed unreasonable, so you should be fine :)

Reactions: jellyfish1

flyingscottie

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
This gives me hope!!! I just got my invite and it is in 15 days time... unfortunately I have already booked a trip to Florida!!! I have been waiting THREE MONTHS for the invite, and of course they give me this little notice.

I HOPE that they will consider a non-refundable vacation as a "reasonable explanation" for missing the ceremony. Mind you, having waited 24 months for this, I'm not sure I want to wait any longer!!!

Policy

Abandonment procedures

First notice

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019
This gives me hope!!! I just got my invite and it is in 15 days time... unfortunately I have already booked a trip to Florida!!! I have been waiting THREE MONTHS for the invite, and of course they give me this little notice.

I HOPE that they will consider a non-refundable vacation as a "reasonable explanation" for missing the ceremony. Mind you, having waited 24 months for this, I'm not sure I want to wait any longer!!!
you are in a better situation I think, you be fine, good luck

Jan 4, 2019
If you missed your ceremony due to a silly mistake on your part (e.g. told yourself that it was on the day of x but turns out it was on the day of y, simply forgot to attend, or arrived 30 min late, etc) they will reschedule your ceremony (length of waiting time differs by province) so long as you show them that you are/were actively pursuing the application ...by calling the CIC/IRCC agent and filling out your webform with a reasonable explanation (by reasonable i mean: formal, respectful, clear and succinct; no need for long winded apologies!). We are all humans, not robots and we all make one-time mistakes (even the federal employees). If the CIC officer reading your letter does not reschedule your ceremony, then he/she is a witch/corn-holio and needs to be treated as such. Case closed.

(p.s: I arrived 45min late for the ceremony and received an invitation by email within 40 days ..Halifax, NS)

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019
If you missed your ceremony due to a silly mistake on your part (e.g. told yourself that it was on the day of x but turns out it was on the day of y, simply forgot to attend, or arrived 30 min late, etc) they will reschedule your ceremony (length of waiting time differs by province) so long as you show them that you are/were actively pursuing the application ...by calling the CIC/IRCC agent and filling out your webform with a reasonable explanation (by reasonable i mean: formal, respectful, clear and succinct; no need for long winded apologies!). We are all humans, not robots and we all make one-time mistakes (even the federal employees). If the CIC officer reading your letter does not reschedule your ceremony, then he/she is a witch/corn-holio and needs to be treated as such. Case closed.

(p.s: I arrived 45min late for the ceremony and received an invitation by email within 40 days ..Halifax, NS)
Thanks, friend, after reading ur post, I think I still have hope , feel better now :)

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019
everyone, it's me again, I missed the oath( Jan 11, 2019) and I used the web form to apply to reschedule at Jan 15. Got them write back at Jan 20. they told me they forwarded it to the responsible office, and all I can do is wait.
almost a month past, I didn't get anything to update from them. I check online or email every day.
now, I have an opportunity to travel outside Canada for half a month,( feb22 to mar 10), for me this is an amazing opportunity, coz flight and hotel are all included. i really want to go.but I am still waiting for the reschedule. what should i do now? btw I am in the busiest office (Ontario, GTR Scarbrough) if i have another oath chance, would it happen that quickly?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
everyone, it's me again, I missed the oath( Jan 11, 2019) and I used the web form to apply to reschedule at Jan 15. Got them write back at Jan 20. they told me they forwarded it to the responsible office, and all I can do is wait.
almost a month past, I didn't get anything to update from them. I check online or email every day.
now, I have an opportunity to travel outside Canada for half a month,( feb22 to mar 10), for me this is an amazing opportunity, coz flight and hotel are all included. i really want to go.but I am still waiting for the reschedule. what should i do now? btw I am in the busiest office (Ontario, GTR Scarbrough) if i have another oath chance, would it happen that quickly?
As always, WE DON'T KNOW!

But Murphy's law is clear on that: you go, the ceremony takes place.
You don't, no ceremony.

exkillaz

May 31, 2019
Yea I agree the whole process is too stressful. I remember when I missed mine I was so depressed and angry at myself wondering what if they don’t feel that my explaination was justifiable.

Also give a call to CIC if you haven’t done that already, tell them the location you were meant to have your test at and what happened. They will email that location to let them know you contacted them for a follow up etc. And also they will have it on record.

And also keep checking your email, because I remember I got so fed up checking the status online if another date was gonna be provided and also got busy with life then thank god I went through my email folders and saw that they sent me a confirmation by email for another ceremony date, and the form/invitation will be available to download by email.

I feel like you will be receiving a new ceremony date soon. Don’t stress too much about it or try not too.

If your application for citizenship went smoothly then this isn’t going to be much of an issue it’s just a matter of waiting due to not having much space available to fit people in at that specific location.

Good luck, let us know when you get a new ceremony date.
Hey Dija24, was your 3rd notice that you received in your email labeled FINAL notice by any chance?

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019
Hello everyone, I came back for some updates.

for who on the same boat: just relax, don't blame urself so much, you are great, we are human, everyone could make some silly mistakes but it's okay, we can fix it.

I missed the oath date just because I forgot. I think this is the silliest reason. I was so upset, i contact the IRCC to explain and ask for another chance, the replay me in 2days, but no date. after 6 months waiting, I finally got the new oath date. but my oath was in the busiest office (ONTARIO, SCARB).

I am a Canadian citizen now.

thanks all the friends who post here before me, you really did help me a lot

for someone who comes here for help: relax, everything will be ok

Olivio232

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone, I came back for some updates.

for who on the same boat: just relax, don't blame urself so much, you are great, we are human, everyone could make some silly mistakes but it's okay, we can fix it.

I missed the oath date just because I forgot. I think this is the silliest reason. I was so upset, i contact the IRCC to explain and ask for another chance, the replay me in 2days, but no date. after 6 months waiting, I finally got the new oath date. but my oath was in the busiest office (ONTARIO, SCARB).

I am a Canadian citizen now.

thanks all the friends who post here before me, you really did help me a lot

for someone who comes here for help: relax, everything will be ok

In the exact same situation as you except it's with the Mississauga office. How often did you contact them to check up?