+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony missed

jayaa

Jan 10, 2018
Hi guys,
I never received any mail by post neither email. I checked online status first two months but didn't check online status afterwards as I was expecting post mail.I was checking mail every few days and email regulary. But checked yesterday online portal and found citizenship oath date was dec 15th.
but never receieved any mail post or email. even test officer informed me will recieive mail as I can recall asking him specifically. I was within 30 days
so I wrote a letter mentioning above reason my surprise shock and disaapointment and also called helpline and send a inquiry on portal and also visted local office which provided envelope to send mail with reason .Good thing I was within 30 days.Also helpline agent said there is note on file to reschedule.Shall I am fine? . my case file wouldn't be abandoned.?I read all policies it says if its within 30 days and reasonable explanation they will reschedule, otherwise will send final notice for reschedule. please advise. it wasn't my fault I never receieved any correspondence.
very worried.
local office reception told me unofficially they are upgrading in transition phase from offline to online but ask not to quote or mention ,simply write a letter.and informed that is the reason I didbnt receive any mail.
I did my due diligence afterwards
wrote a letter to local office explaining above mentioned reason
called helpline spoke with agent who told me he is pushing notification to local office and asked me to send a letter to them as well
also filled inquiry form
all three things done within 30 days.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
You are probably OK, but stay on them. Don't let it go and don't expect that they will necessary take care of it without you pushing them a little.

Reactions: jayaa

jayaa

Jan 10, 2018
or worse case I will get final notice for re-schedule rather than new ist notice, how long have to wait for Toronto office rescheduling please advice

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
guys any ohers suggestions. what is worse case scenario I had to re-apply
i can go much worse..say they ask you to re-apply and before you do it, you get hit by a truck. actually its still not the worst...the worst is...

point is: there is no point in discussing whats the worst? just relax for now and keep monitoring. unnecessary worry is only going to make matters worse. when corresponding, focus on the issue that you did not receive any letter and it wasnt your fault.

Dija24

Aug 12, 2018
To anyone that is going through a similar situation.

Act fast. You need to fill out a webform providing as much information as possible explaining the reason that you have missed your oath. Be honest when you write to them, you have to give as much details as possible. The webform gives you limited space so make sure to mention the important bits. The next thing to do is write an actual letter and this time provide as much details as you can as to why you missed the oath, and you can also mention that getting another oath date will mean a lot. You will need to send this letter to the Service Canada that your oath was set up at.

Follow up by calling CIC, they will not be able to give much details about when your next date will be but you can always call to make sure that the office recieved your letter, they can leave notes in to show that you have followed up etc, in my opinion it always looks good to show that you care and really wants this. Make sure to check your status on the CIC website, and check your mail frequently.

I missed my oath twice. 1st time wasn't my fault, the building I was meant to go take my oath was closed due to some damage inside the building so I automatically got rescheduled a month later. I missed the 2nd oath ceremony, I went 1 day late due to some mistake I made caused by technology. I was overly planning my ceremony date, I booked the wrong Day off from work as my phone's calendar was set on a different month so the date showed up as a different day. Anywho I reached service Canada all excited and told me they couldn't find my name on the list. I started panicking and then the lady told me that I missed my oath. I was devastated, luckily I just recently got another oath date after 2.5 months of waiting. Also I didn't receive a letter by mail this time, I recieved an attachment through email, the attachment contained the letter of invitation for the oath and a few other forms. So don't keep on checking only your mail and the website. The steps I mentioned above are the steps I took in personally. Stick to the truth, be patient, and do your part and you should be fine. In my opinion if they sign off on your case saying it's abandoned they will not wait ages to let you know. Sometimes it may take a while to fit you in for a different date, so if it is taking a while after you sent in your letter etc be patient.

Anyways hope this helps. Good luck to you all.

Xoxo

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
To anyone that is going through a similar situation.

Act fast. You need to fill out a webform providing as much information as possible explaining the reason that you have missed your oath. Be honest when you write to them, you have to give as much details as possible. The webform gives you limited space so make sure to mention the important bits. The next thing to do is write an actual letter and this time provide as much details as you can as to why you missed the oath, and you can also mention that getting another oath date will mean a lot. You will need to send this letter to the Service Canada that your oath was set up at.

Follow up by calling CIC, they will not be able to give much details about when your next date will be but you can always call to make sure that the office recieved your letter, they can leave notes in to show that you have followed up etc, in my opinion it always looks good to show that you care and really wants this. Make sure to check your status on the CIC website, and check your mail frequently.

I missed my oath twice. 1st time wasn't my fault, the building I was meant to go take my oath was closed due to some damage inside the building so I automatically got rescheduled a month later. I missed the 2nd oath ceremony, I went 1 day late due to some mistake I made caused by technology. I was overly planning my ceremony date, I booked the wrong Day off from work as my phone's calendar was set on a different month so the date showed up as a different day. Anywho I reached service Canada all excited and told me they couldn't find my name on the list. I started panicking and then the lady told me that I missed my oath. I was devastated, luckily I just recently got another oath date after 2.5 months of waiting. Also I didn't receive a letter by mail this time, I recieved an attachment through email, the attachment contained the letter of invitation for the oath and a few other forms. So don't keep on checking only your mail and the website. The steps I mentioned above are the steps I took in personally. Stick to the truth, be patient, and do your part and you should be fine. In my opinion if they sign off on your case saying it's abandoned they will not wait ages to let you know. Sometimes it may take a while to fit you in for a different date, so if it is taking a while after you sent in your letter etc be patient.

Anyways hope this helps. Good luck to you all.

Xoxo
The original post happened 8 months ago..the poster is probably Canadian by now.

gracy142006

Nov 24, 2011
Missed mine too!! called CIC and told me they sent my invi letter via email which never received! Sent web form exp. letter August 29 and 30. I called them today. My Local Office has not read my letter yet! Im travelling Oct-Dec.

Khelly8

Sep 21, 2018
Missed mine ' so stupid i mistook the date i just realized it after 3 days from the date of my oath ceremony i send an email to them emy god' i got panicked i dont know what to do.

SpiceIsland

Oct 2, 2017
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24 August 2017
AOR Received.
02 October 2017
Interview........
29 November 2017
Missed mine ' so stupid i mistook the date i just realized it after 3 days from the date of my oath ceremony i send an email to them emy god' i got panicked i dont know what to do.
There’s a post above by Dija24 as he said send a webform enquiry explaining why you miss your Ceremony. I believe you will get another invite but it may take awhile good luck.

waitingz

Jul 28, 2018
Hi guys,
I never received any mail by post neither email. I checked online status first two months but didn't check online status afterwards as I was expecting post mail.I was checking mail every few days and email regulary. But checked yesterday online portal and found citizenship oath date was dec 15th.
but never receieved any mail post or email. even test officer informed me will recieive mail as I can recall asking him specifically. I was within 30 days
so I wrote a letter mentioning above reason my surprise shock and disaapointment and also called helpline and send a inquiry on portal and also visted local office which provided envelope to send mail with reason .Good thing I was within 30 days.Also helpline agent said there is note on file to reschedule.Shall I am fine? . my case file wouldn't be abandoned.?I read all policies it says if its within 30 days and reasonable explanation they will reschedule, otherwise will send final notice for reschedule. please advise. it wasn't my fault I never receieved any correspondence.
very worried.
local office reception told me unofficially they are upgrading in transition phase from offline to online but ask not to quote or mention ,simply write a letter.and informed that is the reason I didbnt receive any mail.
I did my due diligence afterwards
wrote a letter to local office explaining above mentioned reason
called helpline spoke with agent who told me he is pushing notification to local office and asked me to send a letter to them as well
also filled inquiry form
all three things done within 30 days.

Can some one provide webform enquiry or help link link?
i am in the same situation.

Thanks much