+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony missed

Jan 4, 2019
I just missed mine a month ago (30th Nov) in Halifax. Its been a month now. no appointment yet. I went all native on them...spoke twice with an agent, submitted 2 webforms, emailed twice to the regional office, sent a letter by post, and slide another letter under the door of the regional CIC office. If I don't get a new appointment within the next two months. I'm gonna go ape-shit! #immigrant struggles

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I just missed mine a month ago (30th Nov) in Halifax. Its been a month now. no appointment yet. I went all native on them...spoke twice with an agent, submitted 2 webforms, emailed twice to the regional office, sent a letter by post, and slide another letter under the door of the regional CIC office. If I don't get a new appointment within the next two months. I'm gonna go ape-shit! #immigrant struggles
Why did you miss it in the first place?

Dija24

Aug 12, 2018

Hey,

I know how frustrating this is, but the best thing you can do is to not go “ape shit” and keep your cool.

It looks like you contacted them every way poasible. What was your reason for not being able to show up that day? If you don’t mind me asking.

You gotta keep checking everyday online so you are aware when they will send you another invite check your email etc, spam junk folders and all.

Jan 4, 2019
Why did you miss it in the first place?
...Its just one of those things. I'd somehow convinced myself that the oath ceremony was a 10:00am rather than 9:00am and ended up 40min late. I'd given the test 2 days prior at 10:00am...hence the mistake I guess. Even the best of us can make silly mistakes sometimes!

Jan 4, 2019
Hey,

I know how frustrating this is, but the best thing you can do is to not go “ape shit” and keep your cool.

It looks like you contacted them every way poasible. What was your reason for not being able to show up that day? If you don’t mind me asking.

You gotta keep checking everyday online so you are aware when they will send you another invite check your email etc, spam junk folders and all.
Thanks for the reassurance bud. I check my emails every single day. I mean ...it only takes a few lines of code to solve this problem, since it only involves "rescheduling" and not "reassessment". Those that missed the ceremony should receive an automated notification for the same ...and a randomly generated (next available) date for the oath taking ceremony. That folks like me don't have to go apeshit and troll CIC.

Dija24

Aug 12, 2018
Thanks for the reassurance bud. I check my emails every single day. I mean ...it only takes a few lines of code to solve this problem, since it only involves "rescheduling" and not "reassessment". Those that missed the ceremony should receive an automated notification for the same ...and a randomly generated (next available) date for the oath taking ceremony. That folks like me don't have to go apeshit and troll CIC.
Yea I agree the whole process is too stressful. I remember when I missed mine I was so depressed and angry at myself wondering what if they don’t feel that my explaination was justifiable.

Also give a call to CIC if you haven’t done that already, tell them the location you were meant to have your test at and what happened. They will email that location to let them know you contacted them for a follow up etc. And also they will have it on record.

And also keep checking your email, because I remember I got so fed up checking the status online if another date was gonna be provided and also got busy with life then thank god I went through my email folders and saw that they sent me a confirmation by email for another ceremony date, and the form/invitation will be available to download by email.

I feel like you will be receiving a new ceremony date soon. Don’t stress too much about it or try not too.

If your application for citizenship went smoothly then this isn’t going to be much of an issue it’s just a matter of waiting due to not having much space available to fit people in at that specific location.

Good luck, let us know when you get a new ceremony date.

flyingscottie

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
Can anyone tell me what email address the invite comes from. My online application says "decision made" but when I click on it, the detail inside still only shows the invite to the test........

I don't want to miss the important email!!!

Dija24

Aug 12, 2018
Can anyone tell me what email address the invite comes from. My online application says "decision made" but when I click on it, the detail inside still only shows the invite to the test........

I don't want to miss the important email!!!
That means you will receive the letter and not the email to download. So check your mail everyday.

You can contact cic by phone to ask them.

If you search your email typing “citizenship” it should come up, if they did sent you an email for it.

flyingscottie

Star Member
Jan 11, 2017
That means you will receive the letter and not the email to download. So check your mail everyday.

You can contact cic by phone to ask them.

If you search your email typing “citizenship” it should come up, if they did sent you an email for it.
Why do you think I won't get an email?

Dija24

Aug 12, 2018
Because in total I had 3 ceremony dates. First 2 times I didn’t received the emails just letters by post, only the 3rd time I received the email. If I were you I’d contact CIC by phone and let them know the situation that way they will have all of this on file. Also fill out a web form on CIC’s website. Just to make sure.

Jan 4, 2019
Yea I agree the whole process is too stressful. I remember when I missed mine I was so depressed and angry at myself wondering what if they don’t feel that my explaination was justifiable.

Also give a call to CIC if you haven’t done that already, tell them the location you were meant to have your test at and what happened. They will email that location to let them know you contacted them for a follow up etc. And also they will have it on record.

And also keep checking your email, because I remember I got so fed up checking the status online if another date was gonna be provided and also got busy with life then thank god I went through my email folders and saw that they sent me a confirmation by email for another ceremony date, and the form/invitation will be available to download by email.

I feel like you will be receiving a new ceremony date soon. Don’t stress too much about it or try not too.

If your application for citizenship went smoothly then this isn’t going to be much of an issue it’s just a matter of waiting due to not having much space available to fit people in at that specific location.

Good luck, let us know when you get a new ceremony date.
Received an email today ...with a new appointment for the oath-taking ceremony...(a special ceremony at that..). So happy!! It took approximately 40 days for a rescheduled ceremony here in Halifax. For those who are in a similar situation, I suggest calling CIC Helpline twice and send two web-forms (...few days apart) and then ...just wait patiently (don't be helter-skelter like me!).

Copy of special invitation letter from Institute for Canadian citizenship (*can't post official letter from CIC as it has my details):

Congratulations on soon becoming a Canadian citizen!

You and your guests are invited to participate in a special citizenship ceremony held in collaboration with the Institute for Canadian Citizenship (ICC). Before taking the Oath of Citizenship and becoming Canadian citizens, participants experience a special roundtable discussion, hosted by the ICC. This is a unique opportunity to meet others in your community and reflect on what it means to be Canadian. Following the roundtables and the official citizenship ceremony, you and your guests are invited to a celebratory reception, including refreshments, photographs and cake.

Due to the special nature of this citizenship ceremony, please note that the event will take approximately 3 hours.

Program for the day

Roundtable discussions: 10:30 am
Citizenship ceremony: 11:45 am
Reception: 12:45 pm

At the ceremony, as a new citizen, you will receive a gift from the ICC– the Cultural Access Pass (CAP). CAP will give you, and up to four of your children under the age of 18, free access to more than 1,400 cultural attractions across Canada and discounts on travel during your first year of citizenship. Learn more at culturalaccesspass.ca and register after you receive your citizenship certificate.

Congratulations!
We look forward to seeing you on January 22!
Institute for Canadian Citizenship

jellyfish1

Jan 21, 2019
omg, I missed mine too! so sad and angry about myself! I was busy with life and I got the time wrong, what a silly mistake, I can not believe this actually happened.
now I am trying to apply for rescheduling, should I write mine didn't show up reason more serious? If I just told them my reason is just I got the time wrong, would they accept? would my reason pissed them off and made them abandoned my citizenship? I have no idea, , everyone, please help

kushari

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-10-2012
AOR Received.
30-11-2012
IELTS Request
22-06-2012
Med's Request
12-12-2013
Med's Done....
18-12-2013
Passport Req..
19-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
24/03/2014
LANDED..........
27/03/2014
omg, I missed mine too! so sad and angry about myself! I was busy with life and I got the time wrong, what a silly mistake, I can not believe this actually happened.
now I am trying to apply for rescheduling, should I write mine didn't show up reason more serious? If I just told them my reason is just I got the time wrong, would they accept? would my reason pissed them off and made them abandoned my citizenship? I have no idea, , everyone, please help
Always tell the truth. People make mistakes, they won't hold it against you, for an honest mistake.

Reactions: jellyfish1