+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

oath ceremony missed

Olivio232

Jul 28, 2019
I wanted to let anyone know reading this to not worry, you will be re-invited if you missed the oath for the first time. I missed my oath on the 24th of July and was re-invited for another oath on October the 10th.

Thanks to everyone who wrote on this thread earlier, you guys made me feel a lot better and certainly helped me. For anyone who is in the same situation, just relax and contact the IRCC. They will understand.

Chirchu

Oct 27, 2019
Hi everybody,
I want to comment my personal situation with the Canadian citizenship process after many of your comments helped me to understand better what possibilities I could face.
I live in Toronto and I did my test in Scarborough on Sep 6, I received an email on Sep 13 with the invitation for the ceremony for Oct 1. As you can see, everything was pretty fast. The problem was that I was travelling out of the country from Sep 16 to Oct 2, so I missed my ceremony. However, I sent them an email to the email address they provide in the invitation the same day, Sep 13, saying I was going to be away, I attached my ticket and itinerary, but I never got an answer or a new invitation.
After my trip, I called immigration on Oct 3 asking about my profile and they told me they never received that email I sent, or at least there wasn't a comment on my profile about it. They offered me to complete the web form, so I did. I sent them a new web form explaining my situation and attaching my itinerary and ticket. I got and answer 4 days after, Oct 7, saying that it was going to be resend to my immigration office so they can consider it.
I never freaked out about missing my ceremony or thinking that my process was going to be forgotten, they always tell you that you have a second and final invitation after the first miss, and if you give a reason, you would get a new and first invitation again. I just started freaking out because I started reading other people experiences and it took another 6 months for the second invitation, and I had planned to go away for several months during winter time, so it would cancel my plans.
Lucky me, I received a letter on my mail on Oct 24 with a second and final invitation (even if I provided an explanation) for Nov 7, after calling immigration that same morning, Oct 24, asking about my profile, and for my surprise they told me a second invitation had been sent but I hadn't received anything yet, I told them I didn't received any email with an invitation. She said it wasn't a big deal, she gave the details and date for my ceremony and said I didn't need to bring my invitation notice with me for the ceremony, but I wasn't happy because I had read on my first invitation that you have to take it with you and sign it. That same night, I received the letter on my mail.
It is very weird I received an email the first time but a letter by mail the second time.....
Conclusión: don't freak out for missing a ceremony, even with no justification you will get a new date. The only problem is if you want to travel, they just send you the notice around 2 weeks in advance.
After reading many comments and talking with friends that have friends who went through a similar experience, I can say everything is so random and every process is different. Other people with my same office took them 5 months for the second call, you never know. Just relax, and always call immigration asking for information. I was freaking out that day that I called and they told me I had a new date but I never received the email......thankfully, I received the letter after, but it is always better to be in touch so you don't miss a step on you process.
Enjoy your new citizenship!

guanjiankun

Star Member
Apr 24, 2017
Hi, All

Has anyone of you missed a ceremony? Mine was on Jan 17, and I was unable to attend the video oath ceremony due to Family matter, (my grandma passed away due to COVID) and I had to stay with the family in China. I've sent emails to the designated email address that was given in the oath letter if unable to attend, and webform request, before and right on the scheduled date, provided with my info and reasons for the reschedule, no replys or updates since.

I have also tried to logged into the ZOOM meeting with the given room and password info during the ceremony to speak with an immigration officer about my situation, but it kept telling me wrong password and blocked me from access. Does anyone of you has similar issues?