+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

November 2020 - Citizenship Application

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
I'm curious if there's progress on our applications but maybe our officers are not updating the tracker
Most likely. My guess....may be they are doing groups of 5 cases together and once they are done checking all 5, will push out the test invite for all 5 at once.

Myself, Vadim_n, JeanMeslier,Favour0011 all got the test invite / status update around the same time with more or less the same date. Locations in GTA. So maybe we were all assigned to the same case officer who pushed the system updates once all of our apps were validated.

That could probably explain why test invites in all locations GTA, Montreal etc., seems to be happening in clusters.

Again.....this is my opinion...and as always - this is frustrating based on which side you are....

Reactions: eager and Roger1985

canadiantobe1

May 16, 2018
Hello all,

I am new to this group. Nov/ 2020 application / Paper/ Single app/

I got update on the tracker saying that I am invited to do the test . However, I have not received an email about the invitation. so my question is How long it takes to receive the email after the update on the tracker?

Thanks
Congrats, you'll get the email few days before the test window start date I believe. what city did you apply from / processing center ? thanks for the input

Eng2020

May 12, 2021
Congrats and all the best. The email comes in about 2 to 5 days prior to the actual test. I got my email on July 21 and the test date was July 26 to August 15, with the tracker being updated on July 20.
My test window will start on July 29 to Aug 19 while the tracker being updated on July 22. I am worried since that I have to use the email on the exam.

siddharthbala

Jan 12, 2016
Mississauga
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-07-2016
Doc's Request.
28-12-2016
AOR Received.
10-12-2016
Med's Request
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
14-12-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
12-04-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2017
LANDED..........
14-09-2017
Most likely. My guess....may be they are doing groups of 5 cases together and once they are done checking all 5, will push out the test invite for all 5 at once.

Myself, Vadim_n, JeanMeslier,Favour0011 all got the test invite / status update around the same time with more or less the same date. Locations in GTA. So maybe we were all assigned to the same case officer who pushed the system updates once all of our apps were validated.

That could probably explain why test invites in all locations GTA, Montreal etc., seems to be happening in clusters.

Again.....this is my opinion...and as always - this is frustrating based on which side you are....
That's an interesting theory for sure - I see some portions of it happening but best guess looking at the pattern differs from yours in a few ways.

I suspect that the citizenship 'test' system is completely automated as a step and only until that test cycle gets completed does it then proceed further.

This test cycle still seems to be functioning as a limit of concurrency and a limited number of slots (this is either due to it never really leaving the supposed 'pilot' phase it's been in since, what...January)? This means that only a certain number of people (possibly 5000), with allocations distributed across the various CPCs that can be eligible to give the test at any one time.

This is conjecture at this point but the cycle seems to have a few phases in it that seem to be directly tied to the automated system:

1.'Soft Reservation' - Slot released pending verification, Notification provided to candidate in tracker of upcoming test window. This is the bit we all get excited about, because well...movement! :D It means that the previous candidate occupying the slot has likely completed the test and is pending verification before it can be formally 'closed'. This would also explain why the notification of this is so far in advance of when the actual test window is - it's literally buffer-time to accommodate for any glitches or if a re-alloc (possibly through a set of reserved emergency slots to be used at the CPC's discretion) would be needed for the slot without disrupting the next candidate (who got said notification that they were up for a test).
2. 'Hard Reservation' - Formal e-mail received with test window provided, post verification that the previous candidate who occupied said slot is in the clear and everything is good to go. This basically means that the candidate is now locked in with a dedicated slot for them to do the test and a window for them to do the test in.
3. Candidate completes test - At this point, one of either two things happens:
  • The slot is immediately soft reserved for someone else (Step 1) while they verify your result was registered successfully on their system and/or has gone through any of their fraud detection systems (those pictures they supposedly take at random, for example - an automated process).
  • (To your point, @OllySyd ) They enter a 'free slot' queue where a batch job (probably run daily or maybe every 12 hours) that takes care of notifications runs through it at a set point each day to update the tracker - while it might seem like it's batches of 5, in reality at scale it might be much larger and basically just looks at all the freed up slots and runs through the queue to select the next batch of candidates to associate a soft reservation to. The only way we can ascertain if that's the case is to see the time that all of your events registered in the system to guess when this job seems to run (similar to how we know that the updates to the old eCAS used to happen around 7:00 AM daily)
This cycle then continues down the queue. So in a way, these updates on the tracker are a means of advance notice before the actual e-mail is received, in my eyes. Candidates who have been 'released' from the testing cycle (aka have given the test, had it register successfully and haven't set off any sort of automated fraud detection flags) are then put back into the system for either any additional processing that is needed or in a queue for interviews/oaths.

The biggest problem/mystery to me is the limited number of 'slots' to take this test and the allocations of said slots to different centres nationally. Also the relevance of the testing cycle needing to be from the same allocation pool as the CPC processing your case seems...unnecessary if they're a different system. But who knows? :D

Last edited:

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
That's an interesting theory for sure - I see some portions of it happening but best guess looking at the pattern differs from yours in a few ways.

I suspect that the citizenship 'test' system is completely automated as a step and only until that test cycle gets completed does it then proceed further.

This test cycle still seems to be functioning as a limit of concurrency and a limited number of slots (this is either due to it never really leaving the supposed 'pilot' phase it's been in since, what...January)? This means that only a certain number of people (possibly 5000), with allocations distributed across the various CPCs that can be eligible to give the test at any one time.

This is conjecture at this point but the cycle seems to have a few phases in it that seem to be directly tied to the automated system:

1.'Soft Reservation' - Slot released pending verification, Notification provided to candidate in tracker of upcoming test window. This is the bit we all get excited about, because well...movement! :D It means that the previous candidate occupying the slot has likely completed the test and is pending verification before it can be formally 'closed'. This would also explain why the notification of this is so far in advance of when the actual test window is - it's literally buffer-time to accommodate for any glitches or if a re-alloc (possibly through a set of reserved emergency slots to be used at the CPC's discretion) would be needed for the slot without disrupting the next candidate (who got said notification that they were up for a test).
2. 'Hard Reservation' - Formal e-mail received with test window provided, post verification that the previous candidate who occupied said slot is in the clear and everything is good to go. This basically means that the candidate is now locked in with a dedicated slot for them to do the test and a window for them to do the test in.
3. Candidate completes test - At this point, one of either two things happens:
  • The slot is immediately soft reserved for someone else (Step 1) while they verify your result was registered successfully on their system and/or has gone through any of their fraud detection systems (those pictures they supposedly take at random, for example - an automated process).
  • (To your point, @OllySyd ) They enter a 'free slot' queue where a batch job (probably run daily or maybe every 12 hours) that takes care of notifications runs through it at a set point each day to update the tracker - while it might seem like it's batches of 5, in reality at scale it might be much larger and basically just looks at all the freed up slots and runs through the queue to select the next batch of candidates to associate a soft reservation to. The only way we can ascertain if that's the case is to see the time that all of your events registered in the system to guess when this job seems to run (similar to how we know that the updates to the old eCAS used to happen around 7:00 AM daily)
This cycle then continues down the queue. So in a way, these updates on the tracker are a means of advance notice before the actual e-mail is received, in my eyes. Candidates who have been 'released' from the testing cycle (aka have given the test, had it register successfully and haven't set off any sort of automated fraud detection flags) are then put back into the system for either any additional processing that is needed or in a queue for interviews/oaths.

The biggest problem/mystery to me is the limited number of 'slots' to take this test and the allocations of said slots to different centres nationally. Also the relevance of the testing cycle needing to be from the same allocation pool as the CPC processing your case seems...unnecessary if they're a different system. But who knows? :D
An interesting perspective.

OllySyd

Apr 13, 2017
Good morning everyone. I just received my notes .
Criminality -in progress and I can see fingerprints request and the due date for fingerprints is 2021-05-15
File at the registry.
Last updated date :2021-06-14
This is what i had in my GCMS notes as well

Racing

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
In land
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney NS/Ottawa
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
10-02-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
11-03-2017
Med's Done....
13-03-2017 (Medial passed on 30-03-17)
Passport Req..
DM on 22-Dec-17. PPR received on 03-Jan-18
VISA ISSUED...
Received CoPR & Visa by end of Jan-2018
LANDED..........
Landed end of Jan-2018, Received PR card around mid of March-2018
Took our test today. Passed! Waiting for online tracker status update.
Test Status has been changed to "Completed" today, BG verification was already "Completed" many months before, however other status still shows as "In Progress", may be it change later.
What would be the next step? I could see in this forum some were asked to provide Passport pages, not sure why CIC need that after taking the test

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Test Status has been changed to "Completed" today, BG verification was already "Completed" many months before, however other status still shows as "In Progress", may be it change later.
What would be the next step? I could see in this forum some were asked to provide Passport pages, not sure why CIC need that after taking the test
I've updated the spreadsheet.

Passport pages are sometimes requested to verify your physical presence and to corroborate the information you've provided in the physical presence calculator. Passport pages and test have nothing to do with each other. You can receive a FP request, passport request, an interview anytime before the application status is set to "Decision made" on ECAS (though fingerprint requests are unlikely at this stage of the process).

BuzzBuzz

Star Member
Jun 28, 2018
I've updated the spreadsheet.

Passport pages are sometimes requested to verify your physical presence and to corroborate the information you've provided in the physical presence calculator. Passport pages and test have nothing to do with each other. You can receive a FP request, passport request, an interview anytime before the application status is set to "Decision made" on ECAS (though fingerprint requests are unlikely at this stage of the process).
Raj you should work for IRCC, already have so much experience, I bet you would qualify! :)

Reactions: engage and OllySyd