17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks for all your replies man!

One thing I don’t understand: you say that eligibility and criminality take few months. My question: how come some people receive PPR in 40 days after AOR?
There are always exceptions and this is a question that you should ask IRCC.

As per IRCC's annual 2019 annual report it takes 8-9 months for an application to process. So the 40 days is an exception and not the norm.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2019.html

How long did it take to process an Express Entry application?
Table 35 displays the time, in months, that IRCC took to process 80% of applications under each program. In 2019, IRCC did not meet the processing standard of finalizing 80% of all applications sourced via Express Entry within six months. The processing time for Express Entry, overall, was eight months. As an alternative measure of processing times, 60% of applications finalized in the 12-month period ending on December 31, 2019, were completed within the six-month service standard.

Table 35: Processing Times for Express Entry applications finalized by year and immigration category, in months
Program201720182019
Canadian Experience Class457
Federal Skilled Worker469
Provincial/Territorial Nominee669
Federal Skilled Trades6712
All Programs558
Source: CIC_EDW (MBR) as of January 3, 2020
Data is operational and as such should be considered preliminary and subject to change.

• Processing times refer to the time in which 80% of applications were finalized by IRCC. The processing time is measured from the day a complete application is received until the time a final decision is made by an immigration officer.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
So it is clear that one needs to wait for criminality before the other step like eligibility starts.

What I don't understand when I read threads is that sometime applicant has eligibility starts before criminality.

Is there a really order in which a file is processed then?
Eligibility will start after your R10 and medicals are passed. As regards criminality it can be pending due to biometrics, and it will impact the processing of the application.

Most applications will follow the following sequence:

1. R10
2. Medicals
3. Criminality (usually happens with R10)
4. Eligibility
5. Security

If an application is found to be incomplete, it will be rejected, and there is not need to go forward. Also, when an application is incomplete, there I no need to provide a Procedural Fairness Letter (PFL). This is why R10 is the first step.

The criminality is based on PCC and biometrics, but if your are an inland applicant, and you have not submitted RCMP PCC, your criminality will be the last thing. By this time, the medicals too are cleared by health Canada. If any applicant or his family member is inadmissible for medical reason or criminality, the process will stop and the refusal letter will be given.

If by this time everything is on track, eligibility will start. This is the most time consuming and human resource intensive stage. Each document is read, reviewed, analysed, compared with your profile and a match with eh score is done. Eligibility takes place in 2 stage. First an analyst or program assistant will review, and make a note in the GCMS. Then this is reviewed by an officer, who makes a final determination. In the analysts / assistant's notes he may flag certain documents as "review required." This by itself does not mean an issue, rather it flags that specific point or the document for an officer to have a closer look before making a final decision on eligibility.

Only after eligibility is passed, will the security commence. This is because, eligibility is entered with IRCC, whereas in security not only other federal agencies like CBSA, CSIS and RCMP participate; other countries and foreign agencies are also looped in on case by case basis. So if the eligibility is not passed, there is no point to go through this process.

Hope this makes sense.

To read on stages see https://bit.ly/2MrOcIG

Security see https://bit.ly/3nxK6M5

Reactions: SlimShady123

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

stefi2020

Nov 23, 2020
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aor October 10th 2020
Doc's Request.
Rcmp
AOR Received.
October 10th 2020
Med's Request
November 20th 2020
Eligibility will start after your R10 and medicals are passed. As regards criminality it can be pending due to biometrics, and it will impact the processing of the application.

Most applications will follow the following sequence:

1. R10
2. Medicals
3. Criminality (usually happens with R10)
4. Eligibility
5. Security

If an application is found to be incomplete, it will be rejected, and there is not need to go forward. Also, when an application is incomplete, there I no need to provide a Procedural Fairness Letter (PFL). This is why R10 is the first step.

The criminality is based on PCC and biometrics, but if your are an inland applicant, and you have not submitted RCMP PCC, your criminality will be the last thing. By this time, the medicals too are cleared by health Canada. If any applicant or his family member is inadmissible for medical reason or criminality, the process will stop and the refusal letter will be given.

If by this time everything is on track, eligibility will start. This is the most time consuming and human resource intensive stage. Each document is read, reviewed, analysed, compared with your profile and a match with eh score is done. Eligibility takes place in 2 stage. First an analyst or program assistant will review, and make a note in the GCMS. Then this is reviewed by an officer, who makes a final determination. In the analysts / assistant's notes he may flag certain documents as "review required." This by itself does not mean an issue, rather it flags that specific point or the document for an officer to have a closer look before making a final decision on eligibility.

Only after eligibility is passed, will the security commence. This is because, eligibility is entered with IRCC, whereas in security not only other federal agencies like CBSA, CSIS and RCMP participate; other countries and foreign agencies are also looped in on case by case basis. So if the eligibility is not passed, there is no point to go through this process.

Hope this makes sense.

To read on stages see https://bit.ly/2MrOcIG

Security see https://bit.ly/3nxK6M5
Thank you for this detailed explaination. As for my case, last time I called agent, he said, criminality in progress, eligibility and security not started. I am CEC. I was surprised to read some others had eligibility start but not criminality. But true I have been requestd RCMP, maybe this changes something but I am bio exempted. Thanks

HezekiahVelle

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
India
Nomination.....
OINP PNP
AOR Received.
21-11-2020
@legalfalcon Thank you for all the information you have provided me earlier. Here is a confirmation from my end and would truly require your inputs on it.

1. My wife is pregnant and she is at it's initial stage, My wife and me have already passed our medicals. What would happen if we do not inform IRCC about it at all and wait for our PPR?
2. If by God's grace we receive PPR before the child's birth, we could travel to Canada and complete all the PR process and I can stay there and my wife can fly back again.Is this possible?
3. If before receiving PPR, the child is born can me and my wife without taking the child with us come to canada , complete all the PR process and then she would fly back again. So in this case me and my wife would have the PR but not my child, so what can be done in this case if we do not want to delay the on going process( considering the birth might take another 6 to 8 months.)

Your inputs would be really appreciated as I am quite confused and stressed out at this point.

IbnO

Jan 3, 2021
Hi all, thought you might be interested to know that today IRCC have published the number of applications received and processed in November 2020 (previously was only data up to October 2020).

If you are interested the data is available here: https://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/9b34e712-513f-44e9-babf-9df4f7256550#wb-auto-6

I'm no expert here but just a data nerd so let me know if my understanding is wrong here for any reason.

Looking at the data from:
  • Source Countries - Applications Received for Permanent Residency (in Persons) by Month
  • Source Countries - Authorizations and Visas Issued for Permanent Residents (in Persons) by Month

There are a few notable things:

• IRCC are clearing the backlog. Due to the impacts of COVID, IRCC received more applications that they processed from March to September 2020. However, since October they have been approving significantly more applications than they have received, meaning that the overall number of applications in the queue waiting to be processed is starting to shrink.
  • Not-so-good news for us - There is a significant backlog of cases ahead of ours
  • Good news for us - it seems IRCC are almost back to pre-COVID levels of processing and hopefully we will start to see the average wait time trend closer to 6 months again.
  • Try not to get too obsessed with the progress of cases you see here or on my immitracker - these cases are a tiny fraction of the PR applications that IRCC receive and 100-200 cases per month is not really enough to establish trends or patterns.

PR Applications received 2020
FebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovember

PR Authorizations issued 2020

Net applications processed

1,056-6,832-13,561-2,963-1,232-9,908-9,178-3,1442,7657,354
That leaves a difference of 35,643 applications not approved from February to November. If we are to add this to the backlog of the pre-covid times, it still does not look encouraging. Or is it?

Carmen01

Oct 13, 2020
@legalfalcon Thank you for all the information you have provided me earlier. Here is a confirmation from my end and would truly require your inputs on it.

1. My wife is pregnant and she is at it's initial stage, My wife and me have already passed our medicals. What would happen if we do not inform IRCC about it at all and wait for our PPR?
2. If by God's grace we receive PPR before the child's birth, we could travel to Canada and complete all the PR process and I can stay there and my wife can fly back again.Is this possible?
3. If before receiving PPR, the child is born can me and my wife without taking the child with us come to canada , complete all the PR process and then she would fly back again. So in this case me and my wife would have the PR but not my child, so what can be done in this case if we do not want to delay the on going process( considering the birth might take another 6 to 8 months.)

Your inputs would be really appreciated as I am quite confused and stressed out at this point.
Congratulations in advance.

In my opinion, none of the above. Carry on with your application, if your wife gives birth before PPR then you inform IRCC to include your child in your application.
If your PPR is approved before the baby arrives and travel restrictions lifted, then your can have your baby in Canada.
If your baby arrives same time with PPR and travel restrictions not lifted, you still inform IRCC to add the baby.

You really don't have to leave your baby out of the process, you are a permanent resident when you land in Canada meaning you can have your baby there.

• Love
Reactions: HezekiahVelle

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016

1. By law if your family composition changes, i.e. after your baby is born you have to inform IRCC. You do not have to inform IRCC now. But until you become a PR, i.e. a landed PR and any time your family composition changes, it has to be inform to IRCC. Informing now is of no use, only after the baby is born that you have to inform.

2. YEs, then you can sponsor your child under family class sponsorship and util the application is approved, you can get a visitor's visa and then a visitor's record. If your baby is born in Canada, the baby will be a citizen by birth.

3. No, see 1. You will still have to inform IRCC even if your baby is non-accompanying and submit the baby's passport and medicals. All family members have to be admissible for criminality, medicals and security, whether accompanying to not. At this stage it does not make sense to have your baby as non-accompanying, and when you add your baby, your file will be processed with the baby and all family members will be issued a COPR together.

To read on how to add a family member and its impact on the application see https://bit.ly/3oV1dsx

Sahil318

Sep 12, 2020
Nationality: Indian
Nomination: CEC-O
ITA : 30 Sep 2020
AOR : 18 Nov 2020
MEP & BIL : 05 Jan 2021

Last edited:

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
So it is clear that one needs to wait for criminality before the other step like eligibility starts.

What I don't understand when I read threads is that sometime applicant has eligibility starts before criminality.

Is there a really order in which a file is processed then?
To see all the stages of how an application is processed see https://bit.ly/37nCTJD

Reactions: stefi2020
Jul 11, 2020
That leaves a difference of 35,643 applications not approved from February to November. If we are to add this to the backlog of the pre-covid times, it still does not look encouraging. Or is it?
the backlog is not that big. Look at the 2017 and 2018, there is a big difference between applications submitted and the visas issued. it is probably because of the people who get refused or reject their ITAs.