November 2018 AOR - Join here

bc92

Star Member
Jun 14, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
14-11-2018
I spoke to two call centre agents today. First one, wasn't very helpful. She frustrated me even more with her generic responses. Basically, she was just reading what was on my online account and was clueless in providing additional information.

After an hour, I spoke to a wonderful agent, he was very sympathetic and explained that the processing times have slowed down this year due to high volume of applications received. He understands how discomforting this uncertainty causes. The 6 month processing time is just a rough estimation and these days it is normal for an application to exceed 8 months because of the sheer amount of backlogs.

There is no change in my status. It is still same as it was back in April -Eligibility(Recommended Pass), Criminality(Passed), Security(Not Started). My file has been untouched since April 26 but I got a new information. The agent mentioned that there was a movement in my application recently. An enquiry was made on my application through MP's line on August 20, 2019 and on the same day it was marked as file pending officer's review, due dates have expired. I'm not sure if this will lead to anything but this is the first positive update I've heard in months.

The agent seemed optimistic but I have been on this path before so I'm not keeping my hopes high. Anyways, I continued to ask him a couple of questions about all these generic responses from CPC-Ottawa and what exactly they mean.

"what does your application is currently in queue for a review by an officer exactly mean?"
This is generally a final review queue. In my case, my eligibility is marked as 'Recommended Pass'. So the case analyst is satisfied with my application and has given his recommendation to the case officer. These cases are put in a queue along with other similar cases that are pending an officer's approval to proceed further. Unfortunately, once an application is in the final review queue there is no set date when the officer will review the file. Everything depends on the case officer's workload. Sometimes the review can happen in 2 days or 2 weeks or even 2 months but rest assured they will be reviewed. Once the officer completes his final review, the next step is usually passport request.

"What does your file is currently under review and required additional verification mean?"
This is different from the final review queue. Cases that require additional background checks for eligibility and security are placed under this queue. The security checks are carried out by third party organizations. The cases are marked with a due date before they are sent to these organizations. Once the due date has expired the case officers follow up with the organizations for an update. IRCC does not have any control over third party organizations, hence the timelines vary and are difficult to predict.

The eligibility checks are further reviewed by the case officers and additional documents are requested wherever necessary. It is a complex procedure carried out by the case officers and also the most time consuming. They are also humans, since each case is different and with the request of additional documents it is difficult to evaluate a rough estimate to complete these assessments.

Can an application's Eligibility status change from "Recommended Pass" to "Review Required"?
Yes!! Recommended Pass is definitely a good thing but it does not guarantee your application will be approved. It is only a recommendation from the case analyst The final decision is still determined by the case officer once he reviews your application. However, the case officer does consider the positive recommendation from the case analyst but it does not influence his decision.

When a remainder is sent does it have any impact on the application? Do the case officers receive these remainders? There were four remainders sent for my application but I did not get any response.
No!! CPC-Ottawa did send you response for all 4 remainders. They did inform your application is pending final review. So the case officer did receive the remainder and is definitely aware about your application. If CPC-Ottawa does not respond to your remainder within 30 days then that means the case officer has not received your remainder

My application has not been touched for months, so how will the case officer know my medical is expired or will expire?
They receive notifications when medicals expire. If you do not receive re-medical request within few days then it could mean a) your background checks are still in progress or b) they are considering to extend your medicals. You may think your application has been forgotten but that is not true. They are definitely aware your medicals have expired.

Thanks for sharing this!

If the agent is right about the different answers, that's a bummer to me... On July 11th I got the "queue for final review" answer, which came as an answer to a reminder sent. Then on August 7th, I received the "additional verifications" answer, which was an answer to an email I sent to CPC-Ottawa.

So either something happened with my application after the reminder was sent (and it wasn't good) or the answers mean nothing different (as I was told before when I called). Who knows with these agents, nothing seems reliable!

Either way I can't even get my hands on the GCMS notes I ordered 42 days ago so I'll probably never know :)

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
"what does your application is currently in queue for a review by an officer exactly mean?"
This is generally a final review queue. In my case, my eligibility is marked as 'Recommended Pass'. So the case analyst is satisfied with my application and has given his recommendation to the case officer. These cases are put in a queue along with other similar cases that are pending an officer's approval to proceed further. Unfortunately, once an application is in the final review queue there is no set date when the officer will review the file. Everything depends on the case officer's workload. Sometimes the review can happen in 2 days or 2 weeks or even 2 months but rest assured they will be reviewed. Once the officer completes his final review, the next step is usually passport request.
This is accurate and I had seen this with my GCMS notes as well. In my first set of notes my eligibility was recommended passed and "Assigned To" on the very first page had code of the Visa office (in my case code for Montreal VO). Visa office codes start with RC-XXXX. When it just shows the visa office code the application is in a general pool of applications. In second set of notes, received just after my PPR but generated two weeks before my PPR was triggered, the "Assigned To" on first page had a code of an agent. An agent had picked the case and assigned it to himself and the due date had changed to about a month from the date he assigned the case to himself. He did miss that date as well but by about 10 days. Looking at delays now I can't complain.

Here is a link to the post which shows difference in GCMS notes which I had written back then

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/montreal-visa-office-lets-connect-here.575300/page-195#post-7519688

zafontana

Star Member
Apr 22, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-11-2018
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
Thanks for sharing this!

If the agent is right about the different answers, that's a bummer to me... On July 11th I got the "queue for final review" answer, which came as an answer to a reminder sent. Then on August 7th, I received the "additional verifications" answer, which was an answer to an email I sent to CPC-Ottawa.

So either something happened with my application after the reminder was sent (and it wasn't good) or the answers mean nothing different (as I was told before when I called). Who knows with these agents, nothing seems reliable!

Either way I can't even get my hands on the GCMS notes I ordered 42 days ago so I'll probably never know :)
Oh, at least I'm not alone waiting for GCMS notes that never came!...

Reactions: bc92

Sabisingh1016

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
I spoke to two call centre agents today. First one, wasn't very helpful. She frustrated me even more with her generic responses. Basically, she was just reading what was on my online account and was clueless in providing additional information.

After an hour, I spoke to a wonderful agent, he was very sympathetic and explained that the processing times have slowed down this year due to high volume of applications received. He understands how discomforting this uncertainty causes. The 6 month processing time is just a rough estimation and these days it is normal for an application to exceed 8 months because of the sheer amount of backlogs.

There is no change in my status. It is still same as it was back in April -Eligibility(Recommended Pass), Criminality(Passed), Security(Not Started). My file has been untouched since April 26 but I got a new information. The agent mentioned that there was a movement in my application recently. An enquiry was made on my application through MP's line on August 20, 2019 and on the same day it was marked as file pending officer's review, due dates have expired. I'm not sure if this will lead to anything but this is the first positive update I've heard in months.

The agent seemed optimistic but I have been on this path before so I'm not keeping my hopes high. Anyways, I continued to ask him a couple of questions about all these generic responses from CPC-Ottawa and what exactly they mean.

"What does your file is currently under review and required additional verification mean?"
This is different from the final review queue. Cases that require additional background checks for eligibility and security are placed under this queue. The security checks are carried out by third party organizations. The cases are marked with a due date before they are sent to these organizations. Once the due date has expired the case officers follow up with the organizations for an update. IRCC does not have any control over third party organizations, hence the timelines vary and are difficult to predict.

The eligibility checks are further reviewed by the case officers and additional documents are requested wherever necessary. It is a complex procedure carried out by the case officers and also the most time consuming. They are also humans, since each case is different and with the request of additional documents it is difficult to evaluate a rough estimate to complete these assessments.

Can an application's Eligibility status change from "Recommended Pass" to "Review Required"?
Yes!! Recommended Pass is definitely a good thing but it does not guarantee your application will be approved. It is only a recommendation from the case analyst The final decision is still determined by the case officer once he reviews your application. However, the case officer does consider the positive recommendation from the case analyst but it does not influence his decision.

When a remainder is sent does it have any impact on the application? Do the case officers receive these remainders? There were four remainders sent for my application but I did not get any response.
No!! CPC-Ottawa did send you response for all 4 remainders. They did inform your application is pending final review. So the case officer did receive the remainder and is definitely aware about your application. If CPC-Ottawa does not respond to your remainder within 30 days then that means the case officer has not received your remainder

My application has not been touched for months, so how will the case officer know my medical is expired or will expire?
They receive notifications when medicals expire. If you do not receive re-medical request within few days then it could mean a) your background checks are still in progress or b) they are considering to extend your medicals. You may think your application has been forgotten but that is not true. They are definitely aware your medicals have expired.
Thanks for sharing.

warpeduniverse

Apr 28, 2019

Hey Sith

If we ever meet in person, I think I will end up calling you Sith only even if I know your real name :)

Thanks for sharing the information. It's great that you keep everybody posted about the information you receive, and also help out people in other ways.

But what I have realized in the past the few days is that any information received really does not help our case. It just creates a lot of noise (information that may seem useful but may not be useful), and makes us hopeful again. Honestly, it really does not matter any more how they process the applications and how many AORs near our AOR are getting PPRs. It's been a long time since they started processing November 1st week applicants, but you and I (and many others) are still here. I was thinking of ordering GCMS notes again, but now I feel that there is no point in trying to get more information with my eligibility met. It will happen when it will happen.

All I care about now is my own PPR, and also hope that the rest of you get it too. But somehow anything said by IRCC does not make sense to me anymore. It's just noise. I don't blame them because them for their generic responses, because if they start replying to the thousands of mails they receive then they will just be doing that and not processing our applications.

All that matters is the golden mail now. Again, please don't get me wrong, we are all very appreciative of your contribution in this group and you have helped many people with their applications. It's good that you are still trying to fight the system, but I don't have it in me anymore.

Reactions: Lydz86 and SithLord

Mark888

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
A quick update from me as well guys. Woke up to READY FOR VISA email.

Timeline:
AOR - November 1st
Medicals - November 30
GCMS received sometimes in May (according to which eligibility recommended passed, everything else not started)
December - until today, August 24 - completei silence
Second set of GCMS ordered on June 15 (still not received).
PPR - August 24 (online status changed to background check started for the first time)

Maziar

Star Member
Dec 6, 2017
I received my first ever email regarding my account today(AOR-November 12th) and it's a bit odd
"Case Status: In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:
 The enclosed Supplementary Information Request for Students form
 CV/Resume: Please provide a copy of your resume (CV), a document containing a brief description of your education, qualifications and experience
 Schedule A: A separate and newly completed Schedule A Background Declaration form (IMM 5669) bearing an original signature. Please note that you must provide details since the age of 18 or the past 10 years. Be sure to not leave any gaps."

Last edited: